Oldest TDF winner

Old August 30th 03, 08:07 PM
Mark

Default Oldest TDF winner

I found an old mssg from Google oldest TDF winners. Posted at
bottom.

Lance is now 32, and will be 33 next year (2004). Bday is Sept 11 1971
(?). So he goes for #6 @ 33. If I got the numbers right, he is NOW the
oldest 5-time winner.

Riis can be added to the list below @ 32, right?

If I have all this right, then next TdF will be double exciting,
'cause it will be this year but more so: everybody shooting for Lance.
Personally, I think Lance may well lose next year. BUT, I wouldn't put
it past Lance to lose next year and come back at 34 to win a last
hurrah! He still wouldn't be the oldest winner.

From: Robert J Schwartz )
Message 12 in thread
Subject: Lance and the TDF
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Date: 1994-05-29 04:58:14 PST

Marc San Soucie wrote:
: So let's turn it around. Who were the oldest to win the Tour, and when
: did they finish their first?

Turning it around...

Here is a list of Tour winners 30. Is that old? Sure seems to be.
Especially in the last few decades.

Note(1): When the the "Pick the Tour" contest comes around, keep in mind
that Rominger is 34 this year.

Note(2): The conspicuous absence of any 5 time winners on this list.

1903 Garin, 32
1919 Lambot, 33
1921 Scieur, 33
1922 Lambot, 36
1923 H. Pelissier, 34
1925 Bottecchia, 31
1926 L. Buysse, 33
1929 Dewaele, 33
1948 Bartali, 34
1950 Kubler, 31
1952 Coppi, 32
1959 Bahamontes, 31
1980 Zoetemelk, 33

Bob Schwartz

Old August 31st 03, 03:09 AM
Bill Davidson

Mark wrote:
I found an old mssg from Google oldest TDF winners. Posted at
bottom.

Being from May 1994, that list is also missing Indurain. He was 30 when
he won in 1994 and 31 when he won his last one in 1995 so he should be
on there twice; just like Armstrong.

Note(2): The conspicuous absence of any 5 time winners on this list.

1903 Garin, 32
1919 Lambot, 33
1921 Scieur, 33
1922 Lambot, 36
1923 H. Pelissier, 34
1925 Bottecchia, 31
1926 L. Buysse, 33
1929 Dewaele, 33
1948 Bartali, 34
1950 Kubler, 31
1952 Coppi, 32
1959 Bahamontes, 31
1980 Zoetemelk, 33

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old September 9th 03, 06:41 AM
Mark Hickey

Time Cop wrote:

Hate to be the spoiler on this one but...

Joop Zoetemelk was born on December 3, 1946. He won the World
Championship in September of 1985, making him 38 at the time.

That was one of the most beautiful things I ever saw. The road came
to a split on a turn to the right, and the whole pack went on the
right split since it was shorter. They were only a km or two from the
finish, and all the favorites were watching each others like hawks.

Then you notice Joop hauling butt the long way around the corner,
coming out about 50 yards ahead. Everyone else just looked at each
other and waited for someone else to start the chase - and they did
too late.

What they say about old age and treachery winning out over youth and
strength is true.

The great Dutchman did win the Paris-Tours race twice plus the Fleche
Wallone and Amstel Gold each once, the latter at age 40.

The story is still good though, considering he beat Greg LeMond (an
expert at the World Championship race with two wins, two seconds and a
seventh) when the American was in his prime.

Everyone got caught with their tights down, it seems. Beautiful.

Errrr, don't read too much into that mental picture please.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame