Trying to give up computer

Old September 8th 03, 10:33 PM
Bill Davidson

Default OT: Programming was: Trying to give up computer

David Reuteler wrote:
you'd like perl. it's an awful lot like obfuscated C.

Not the way I write it. In fact, my Perl looks a lot like C in terms
of how it's structured. Perl need not be obfuscated.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old September 8th 03, 10:41 PM

Default Trying to give up computer

Dan Cosley wrote:

: Interesting that you say that. Our research group is talking about
: ways to leverage GPS trails, perhaps along with a digital camera
: (helmet mount?), to help people enjoy travelling more.

Combining cycling and informatics looks interesting to me as well.
It would be nice if you could get speed, position, cadence, heart
rate, position and weather data into the same log with camera
footage. I bet the technological basis is there, but we'd need
more open interfaces from the gadget vendors and probably also
some formal industry standards for that to come about. Think about
the Internet, it would never have gone this far without lots and
lots of those.

I guess the Dutch ANWB could well provide GPS coordinates and even
some online images for their navigation points in 5 years or so )

If the open platforms were there, you could easily just go ride
and at home with a few mouseclicks, you'd share your route with
others...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old September 9th 03, 03:02 AM
Rick Onanian

Default OT: Programming

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:37:04 -0700, Bill Davidson
wrote:
I wrote a gear calculator in C back around 1987.

Drat. I was going to try that project...

--Bill Davidson

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 03:07 AM
Bill Davidson

wrote:

I wrote a gear calculator in C back around 1987.

Drat. I was going to try that project...

I don't know where it is. It only did simple ratios to help me find
duplicates. I haven't used it in years. Sheldon's web based calculator
is better anyway with different types of gear measurments and lots of
standard cassettes and freewheels pre-programmed into it.

--Bill Davidson

Old September 9th 03, 03:34 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:07:17 -0700, Bill Davidson
wrote:
Drat. I was going to try that project...

I don't know where it is. It only did simple ratios to help me find
duplicates. I haven't used it in years. Sheldon's web based calculator
is better anyway with different types of gear measurments and lots of
standard cassettes and freewheels pre-programmed into it.

Yeah, Sheldon's is where I got the idea, when
I found myself spending hours repeatedly
running different combinations through it and
decided I'd like to write a program to do all
the combinations I'd want AND show some
additional data...

--Bill Davidson

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 07:16 AM
Tom Keats

In article 5y67b.120636$kP.74629@fed1read03,
Bill Davidson writes:
David Reuteler wrote:
k&r (as in kernighan & ritchie who helped invent C) ..

Dennis Ritchie invented C. He helped invent UNIX with Ken Thompson.
C was invented for the purpose of writing operating systems; specifically
UNIX.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.mackido.com/Humor/Unixisahoax.html

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 9th 03, 11:06 PM

Buck j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m wrote:

: Why not go for the whole enchilada? Add enough sensors and you could include
: gear selection, torque, front and rear brake pressure, deviation from
: vertical, tire pressure, tire temperature, apparent wind velocity, and
: uhhhh.... perhaps a whole suite of body readings like temps, glucose level,
: salinity, and on and on and on....

: Get it right and we could all be rolling laboratories!

Sure, would make statistical research quite a bit easier :-)