Girl dies in cycle race

Old February 8th 04, 12:21 PM
Spider1977

Default Girl dies in cycle race

From today's Sunday Tasmania

A 14-year old Launceston girl was killed yesterday following a collisio
on the North-West involving a bicycle, truck and a Mitsubishi ute

Police said the girl was riding her bike in a junior cycle race a
Moriarty about 2pm and collided with the truck after turning int
another road

The girl died instantl

No doubt we will get more details in next few days. I understand th
girl had been picked in the TIS Talent Identification program and wa
really enjoying her participation in the sport

What a tragedy! A reminder to us all, be careful and be safe

-

Old February 8th 04, 01:22 PM
Spider1977

More details a

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...feb04/feb08new

-

Old February 9th 04, 01:21 AM
cfsmtb

From The Mercury:
http://www.themercury.news.com.au/co...5E3462,00.html

Shock death of rising cyclist By JOHN BRIGGS 09feb0

TASMANIA'S cycle racing community was yesterday struggling to come t
terms with the death of rising star Samantha Hellyer

The 15-year-old state junior champion was killed in a freak accident a
Moriarty, near Latrobe, while competing in the junior division of th
Devon 80, one of the state's major road races

Sam, from the Launceston suburb of Trevallyn, was killed instantly in a
accident involving a truck and a utility on Saturday

Racing was cancelled immediately after the accident as the shock new
reached fellow riders, family, officials and friends

(more details in article

-

Old February 9th 04, 01:21 AM
its_stuart

What a terrible story spida. I've had a few close ones of late on the
tar and have decided to spend more time in the forest on the MTB. You
still have 4WD's and motorbikes to contend with but that's only on the
fire tracks and you can generally hear them coming. However the single
track is all ours!

Old February 9th 04, 01:22 AM
cfsmtb

Spider1977 wrote:
No doubt we will get more details in next few days. I understand the
girl had been picked in the TIS Talent Identification program and was
really enjoying her participation in the sport.
What a tragedy! A reminder to us all, be careful and be safe.

This is extremely distressing, a talented girl with a potential cyclin
career ahead of her. I was reading the news article on Sunday, the
remembered seeing the TIS signage on skinsuits worn by younger cyclist
at the Austral Wheel Race. :

A tragic loss

-

Old February 9th 04, 04:21 AM
its_stuart

Mandatory death sentence for any driver found guilty of killing
cyclis

-

Old February 9th 04, 05:21 AM
flyingdutch

Was this actually a recent incident

Seem to remember an identical thing happening in a club race in Tassi
when the road was not closed off properly and rider went round a corne
to hit car head o

-

Old February 9th 04, 05:21 AM
jazmo

flyingdutch wrote:
Was this actually a recent incident?
Seem to remember an identical thing happening in a club race in Tassie
when the road was not closed off properly and rider went round a corner
to hit car head on

This does sound like a really freaky accident and the cyclist was jus
in the wrong place at the wrong time. See Spider1977's link below

Old February 9th 04, 07:58 AM
Allister McLaren

Spider1977 wrote in message .. .
From today's Sunday Tasmanian

A 14-year old Launceston girl was killed yesterday following a collision
on the North-West involving a bicycle, truck and a Mitsubishi ute.

Police said the girl was riding her bike in a junior cycle race at
Moriarty about 2pm and collided with the truck after turning into
another road.

The girl died instantly

"Witnesses said Sam swung out wide on a corner as she cycled out of a
side road.

She collided with a farm truck, which rammed a utility as its driver
apparently tried to avoid the young cyclist."

What the ...? If the route required riders to pull out of a side road,
and the route wasn't closed to traffic, why was there no marshal there
directing traffic? Or are racers expected to stop and give way to
traffic in these events?

Allister