Bike The Drive May 28

Old February 16th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Bike The Drive May 28

I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
them in a bag.

On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.

Any advice would be welcome. I checked out the Amtrak and it takes 23 hours
to get to Chicago from north Texas. I love trains, but 23 hours? That would
wreck the entire weekend!

Pat in TX

Old February 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Pat in TX wrote:
I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
them in a bag.

On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.

I don't live in Chicago, but I once needed a cheap place to stay there
while involved with the consumer bike show. Fortunately I still had a
copy of the member directory published by a certain bicycle-related
organization, and I landed an unofficial hospitality home with real
nice folks. Come to think of it, I did that a couple of times! Try the
warm showers list. Or google the area bicycle clubs.

Surely all the Chicago-area art students take their massively huge
black portfolios on the trains. Don't ask, don't tell.

HTH

--Karen D.

Old February 17th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

In article , says...
I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
them in a bag.

Folders can go on the L (note: /not/ 'El') pretty much any time.
Standard bikes can go on all the time, except during weekday rush hours.
For BtD, CTA adds cars to the trains to allow more bikes aboard.

You can also load your bikes onto the bike racks on every CTA bus,
unfolded, or take them aboard the bus, folded.

Hotels near downtown or either airport will likely be budget-busting,
but there's a Hosteling International in the Loop that may help in that
arena.

http://www.hichicago.org/

You could also stay anywhere near either end of Lake Shore Drive, as you
can jump on anywhere if you have your rider number sent to you ahead of
time. I did that last year, and jumped on at Montrose, rather than at
Grant Park.

If you stay in the burbs, you'll be able to take your bikes on Metra
suburban trains without problem, though folding them up will be your
best bet (only 3 bikes per car, and they could be full that morning).

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

(_)/ (_)
Old February 17th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

http://www.bikethedrive.org/dayofeventinfo.html

I have stayed at this Hostel several times, a bunk bed under 30 a
night.
http://www.arlingtonhouse.com/
5.2 miles to the starting point downtown, I would allow an hour to get
there.
Lake Shore trail runs along Lake Michigan for this area (and much
longer).
You might want to take side city streets or bike lanes instead.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...62479,0.117073
Getting there can be a little tricky, I could not find it the first
time I was trying to get there.

Go to 2400 N (Fullerton) then E/W to 700W, proceed north on oneway
street (Orchard) one block then East on 2500 N (Arlington) about 1500
Ft to a 5 story large brick building (Arlington House).

The site offers these directions:
From O'Hare Airport

Take the train (BLUE liine to Washington stop).
Transfer to the red line north to Fullerton St.
Walk EAST on Fullerton to Orchard. Then walk one block north to
Arlington Pl., right to 616.

From Midway Airport

Take the ORANGE Midway EL Train to Clark and Lake.
Cross platform and take RAVENSWOOD North Line to Fullerton.
Walk EAST on Fullerton to Orchard. Then walk one block NORTH to
Arlington House.

Old February 18th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I have stayed on Diversity near the Lincoln Park for around $80 per night.
There are Days Inns, and a Comfort Inn (although I think the name has
changed.) near this area.There is a blue line stop near by.

Tom

Old February 18th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Thanks a million! This looks promising. I just have to find out where they'd
allow us to put the bikes.

Pat in TX

Old February 18th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:22:35 -0600, "Pat in TX"
wrote:

[...]

You're not really coming all the way from Texas just for Bike the
Drive, are you? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and I
wouldn't drive into the city for that ride. ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old February 18th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

You're not really coming all the way from Texas just for Bike the
Drive, are you? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and I
wouldn't drive into the city for that ride. ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet

Okay, confession time: my son works for an airline and I could fly stand-by
and only pay about $22 for the ticket. I have wanted to see Chicago for a
long time and this seemed like a good time to do it.

Pat in TX

Old February 23rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Good plan - and a good time to see Chicago.

If I could make a further suggestion: the Friday just prior to Bike
the Drive, May 26th, is the last Friday of the month and the Critical
Mass ride. It starts in downtown Chicago, Daley Plaza, not far from
where Bike the Drive starts. This is a real party-on-wheels and would
give you a chance to safely see many other parts of Chicago as well.
Fun, friendly peepul and I think you'd enjoy the ride.

http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/

The rest of the responses on this thread have been pretty much on
target. If you have any further questions, drop me a line.