Douglas Vector

Old April 17th 21, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Douglas Vector

I decided to do the major assembly of the Vector this afternoon while I'm waiting for the titanium seat post with the special carbon fiber saddle rails

It took me about an hour and all of the components are on it. Instead of the Ti seat post I have a Cannondale seat post and while the Cannondale seat post is really light it weighs about the same as the Ti post and saddle combined.

The bike is sitting here and in need of a chain. It also needs the cables fully assembled. I don't know yet if I will have to replace the rear brake inner. And the short length of outer from the end of the chainstay to the rear derailleur is also missing. It is also missing a water bottle holder.

The really weird thing is that these parts will weigh in at about a lb. and a half and this bike is 16.6 lbs. at the moment. I am curious about how it is going to ride.

I have begun getting enquiries about the Trek and the Colnago again so obviously as people are getting back to work they feel like they should reward themselves with a good bike.

The Eddy Merckx Elite is 20 lb.s with water bottle and flat pack. But I'm not wild about the way it steers. It is extremely fast like a real racing bike. I have gotten used to it but it is always a little irritating to have the bike steer off into the wild blue yonder with a change in road camber. Hopefully the Douglas will be a little more steady which will make it my favorite climbing bike. On really fast descents I don't like having to pay 100% attention to the road ahead of you instead of the upcoming turn. Without those bikes taking up room I can finish the Douglas and get it out of my computer room. Monday I will get around to bleeding the Felt brakes properly. Then the only thing left is to replace the Dura Ace Di2 with another Campy 10 speed set. I've actually got everything for it already but I would prefer having Record parts. Though to tell you the truth, Centaur is every bit as good but without the fancy finish. If I can't get decent Record Parts I will use what I have. Centaur and Chorus. By that time I will have a test ride or two on the Felt and put it up for sale. That in the end will leave me with three bikes that I will keep, No more changing up to see why these other bikes are so expensive. Answer, they are faster under a pro racers but they make so little difference to a normal sports rider that it is a waste of time and money.

Just before I had the concussion I expect I knew all of this because my rider was a Basso Loto. I had a Colnago C40 and I had gone through all of the Colnagos from the Master to the Titanium's and the C40.

I have no where all of these bikes went. I told everyone I was never going to ride again since every time I got on a bike I would have another seizure and fall off and I would never know why. After I started going through the Colnago Dream series. These are aluminum and the last one was similar to this Douglas but heavier. They didn't ride very well since they used hydroformed tubes and so they were stiff as a board. But 28 mm tires became readily available and it they were at that time the Colnago Dream HP would probably still be on my shelf.