The Case for Di2.

Old April 14th 21, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default The Case for Di2.

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 7:47:12 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 11:32:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zaterdag 3 april 2021 om 23:43:31 UTC+2 schreef :
I have been riding my Lemond Zurich with Di2 on it for several months now. While it is nice, I don't like 11 speeds and never did. So I think that I will return the bike to 10 speed Campy as soon as I get some of the other bikes out of the way. The full Di2 should recover more than enough money to offset the good Record parts. About the only thing I need is a set of Skeleton brakes and a compact front derailleur, both of which are easy and cheap to get.

The Felt is very close to being finished. The BB tool is supposed to be delivered today. I ordered a new set of Avid Hydraulic disk connectors. I carefully put the old one's in a place where I couldn't lose them and then forgot where that is. While most of my memories have returned there are still short term memory problems. That is a combination of the concussion and the medication to prevent seizures.

After finished I will take the Felt out for a test gravel ride to make sure no adjustments need be made. That is unlikely since the disk set-up doesn't need any adjustments and the XT flat bar shifter simply doesn't miss gears. I have never managed to wear out a set of Trigger Shifters. New 105 road shifters also work flawlessly but they wear out pretty fast (10,000 miles) and they are not repairable. 105 cranks also don't break like Dura Ace or Ultegra do. I have no idea of why Dura Ace cranks are so damn breakable. The hollow way in which they are made does not save much weight but makes them pretty unreliable. If you want to use the lighter cranks buy them from your dealer so that you have a warranty. If you're a hard rider or you do a lot of hard climbing there's no doubt that you will use that warranty A LOT.

After I'm sure of the Felt it will go on the market for a grand and a half. That will cover all of the bits and pieces and the Frameset which was $500 plus shipping and Gavin Loathsome' s sales taxes. The company I bought it from is a Felt dealer so it will have a warranty on it. That only covers me so that is why the test ride which will be pretty extensive. I have a local 35 0r 40 mile gravel ride. That leaves me with two Di2 bikes and they will sell as soon as the weather warms up.

The Eddy Merckx is waiting for room on the work stand. All it needs is the chain, cables and handlebar tape. I bought a set of Rock Brothers Look compatible Keo-type pedals. I was going to put them on the Trek Emonda which has Look Blade on them but it turns out that there is only 40 grams more weight on the Rock Bros. and they are adjustable breakout. That's the weight of one innertube.

After getting a headset on the Douglas I have everything else already.. I even have a waxed chain on the hook. I was going to use Campy Proton wheels but they guy wouldn't come down $25 which is what he was going to charge for shipping. So what the hell, I have two sets of Carbon Aero wheels and I'll use that rather than buying anything.

You 'downgrading' the Lemond from 11 to 10 speed because you don't like that extra gear? Unbelievable. Is swapping parts over and over a hobby?

Lou

I don't get that one either. My 11sp Di2 had some problems for a while, which I fixed by straightening the hanger and dialing in the trim. I can't imagine that it shifts any differently than 10sp, but it may take more careful initial installation. I don't know, being that I never owned 10sp Di2.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, I pointed out that the 10 speed setup wouldn't shift properly with the SEO-Lite cassette and it turned out to be spaced incorrectly. I am pretty sure without pulling it apart that I have either a cassette from the same or similar company on the Lemond. So that might be the reason that it started mis-shifting in the small ring. I don't remember when I might have changed cassettes.
Old April 14th 21, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 8:10:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 17:03:03 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

Trying to improve the performance of a bike is certainly a hobby. It is more than an extra gear Lou. There is always the possibility of pulling a wire or a battery going flat when I'm climbing and that is a real concern that you do not have with a cable control. What's more, the Campy 10 speed stuff is significantly lighter. That helps the rather high weight of the steel bike somewhat.

You sound like Frank, worrying about something almost never happens. I ride my Di2 cross bike for 7 years now in condition far worse than a road bike. No problems whatsoever and never had to adjust anything.

Lou

Lou, I have $1,000 worth of equipment on a bike that could work as well with $400 worth. It is rather silly to keep that sort of setup when it really doesn't serve any real cause.
Old April 14th 21, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:39:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 9:34:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have 10 speed Shimano 7970 Di2 on a bike. Bought it early 2010. I only put a thousand or so miles on it each year. But it has never given me any trouble at all. I charge the battery every 2-3 years for fun since it has never died on me. It just works. I have lots of cable shifting bikes too. They all work too. I must be an oddball extremist. All my bikes just work without any problems. Sure wish I could be a normal person with unending bike problems to worry about every day of the week.

You put 1,000 miles on a bike and believe that proves its reliability. How quaint.

No. I put a thousand or maybe more miles on my Di2 bike EACH year. I have had the bike for 10 years now. Simple multiplication tells us that is 10,000+ miles on my Di2 bike. 10,000+ completely trouble free miles on Di2 is a fairly strong case for its reliability. The mechanical parts of my Di2 bike will likely wear out or break before the electronic parts.
Old April 14th 21, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:07:47 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

I have 10 speed Shimano 7970 Di2 on a bike. Bought it early 2010. I only put a thousand or so miles on it each year. But it has never given me any trouble at all. I charge the battery every 2-3 years for fun since it has never died on me. It just works. I have lots of cable shifting bikes too. They all work too. I must be an oddball extremist. All my bikes just work without any problems. Sure wish I could be a normal person with unending bike problems to worry about every day of the week.

I think you need to snap up a bunch of random bike frames whenever you
see a "good buy." Then buy a bunch of oddball components, being careful
not to do any measuring or research beforehand. Try to assemble the
results into bikes you can sell for profit. It will make your life and
your posts here so much more interesting!

- Frank Krygowski

I have a couple old bike frames that could be fixed up, put to use. One I got at the junkyard. Mom and I were taking a load of junk to drop off and I saw a nice looking Panasonic frame on the pile. I took it home. Problem is it is a 25" or 62cm size. Way too big. No fork either. Other old frame is a Trek 520. 21" frame so too small. I have no need for either frame but I got them. I'm considering, trying to give them to a charity in town that fixes up, gives away bikes for less fortunate. I also have several boxes of spare parts. But all the parts are sort of random and don't really work on anything except in very specific places. Like 9 speed Campagnolo cassettes. I still have several of those bikes in use but no one else on earth does. I have a few crank arms and rings to fit. No derailleurs or shifters. Or headsets or bottom brackets. So to build a new bike, I would have to spend $500+ to get it running. $500+ parts on a free frame. Plus got to buy a new fork too. And the bike would be worth $100 or so. I got a few degrees in business in university. In none of them did they say it was a good idea to spend more, sell less, make loss. But Tom has a different degree, education, than the rest of us.
Old April 14th 21, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

I have 9-speed Veloce cassette and rear derailleur and chain on my Miele Suprema racing bike.

9 Speed cassettes have plenty enough gears for me.

Cheers
Old April 15th 21, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

25" is between a 64 and 65 cm. Must be really complicated dealing with Panasonics.
Old April 15th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

I was once able to build a bike _almost_ entirely out of parts on hand.
I've described it befo the frame, custom Reynolds 531, I got for $7
in a junk shop 40+ years ago because it had gotten a dent in the seat
tube during UPS shipping. Front hub is a NOS Sturmey-Archer Dynohub I
bought cheap from my friend's LBS just because it was so interesting.
Rear hub is a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed given to me by a friend who took it
apart and couldn't get it back together. Rims were the original 27" from
my 1986 touring bike, left over when I converted to 700c... and so on. I
had a couple nice forks but the steerers were too short so I spent maybe
$15 on a fork from a bike shop in business for 70 years, with piles of
parts. And I spent $7 on upright handlebars on sale. Brooks saddle,
racks, fenders, cranks, Ti bottom bracket all were on hand. Oh yeah,
maybe $2 for a chrome front basket from Staples. It's great for jumping
on for a run to the library, pharmacy, dentist, etc.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 15th 21, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

Beware of bike shops that have been in business for 70 years. You go
in to buy a seat post clamp bolt and after looking at all the "good
stuff" they are selling for reduced prices it costs you $100 to get
out of the place.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 15th 21, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

Actually its 63.5 cm. I did state I pulled it from a pile at the junk yard, recycling center. So being exact about its size was not terribly important. It wasn't like I went to the bike shop and bought it for myself. I got it for free from a junk pile. But just from looking at it I can easily tell the frame is too big for me. Next time I get down to the place its stored, I'll measure it so I know its exact size. And I'll tell you. "Too big" just isn't precise enough I guess. I also assumed Panasonic used inch sizes for bikes shipped to the USA. Like Schwinn did. Not cm, European sizing of frames. So the 25" guess was just the next size up from a 23" frame size I had on my first/only Schwinn bike from the early 1980s. The Panasonic from the junk pile was definitely a bigger frame than the one I had 25 years ago.
Old April 15th 21, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/6/2021 12:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

In the era, imported bicycles were commonly sold here as the
closest value in inches despite being built to metric
dimensions. Panasonic is not unusual in that regard.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/