hernia and the bike

Old February 20th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Pearson

Default hernia and the bike

The doctor has just agreed that I have a small inguinal (groin) hernia which
she expects will be fixed with some keyhole surgery.

I've had it for at least 3 years and it doesn't stop me running, swimming or
cycling. Once it is fixed will the medics be warning me off any of these
activities?

Geoff

Old February 20th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Geoff Pearson wrote:
The doctor has just agreed that I have a small inguinal (groin) hernia which
she expects will be fixed with some keyhole surgery.

I've had it for at least 3 years and it doesn't stop me running, swimming or
cycling. Once it is fixed will the medics be warning me off any of these
activities?

Why not ask the medics? They probably know what they think better than
random folk on usenet...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 20th 08, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Pearson

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Geoff Pearson wrote:
The doctor has just agreed that I have a small inguinal (groin) hernia
which
she expects will be fixed with some keyhole surgery.

I've had it for at least 3 years and it doesn't stop me running, swimming
or
cycling. Once it is fixed will the medics be warning me off any of these
activities?

Why not ask the medics? They probably know what they think better than
random folk on usenet...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I will do, of course, when I see the surgeon. I just wanted to be informed
and prepared. Since I posted this I did what I should have done and googled.
There is masses of material suggesting that running, swimming and cycling
are at worst harmless and might be beneficial.

I am also having hand surgery in two weeks time and even I can see that
cycling will be tricky with the palm stitched up!

Old February 20th 08, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Proven

Geoff Pearson wrote:
[...]

I was warned off cycling for 6 weeks after the event, I had a small
tear
and had open surgery with a nylon mesh implanted.

This was in 2003. I returned to regular cycling after 6 weeks and it
was
all fine apart from when doing something new/pushing myself harder
(e.g. sailing for the first time after surgery) I would ache in the
area of
the hernia for a day or two. But apart from that no problems, the
repair
is far, far stronger than what you were born with, and it's fine.
I've
continued to cycle 5000 miles a year since, also having done martial
arts, playing 5-a-side football, swimming, and sailing, with no
problem.

Old February 20th 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

wrote:
I will do, of course, when I see the surgeon. I just wanted to be informed
and prepared. Since I posted this I did what I should have done and googled.
There is masses of material suggesting that running, swimming and cycling
are at worst harmless and might be beneficial.

I am also having hand surgery in two weeks time and even I can see that
cycling will be tricky with the palm stitched up!

Make a fuss about the impact that not cycling will have on you. I did
and the doctor said as long as 'I could manage it' it's fine for me to
ride with my hand in plaster! I can manage the brakes OK but I'm
having to ride as a single speed at the moment! I certainly wasn't
going to stay in vegetate for 8 weeks.

Hope both ops go well.
Old February 20th 08, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

wrote:

The doctor has just agreed that I have a small inguinal (groin) hernia
which
she expects will be fixed with some keyhole surgery.
I've had it for at least 3 years and it doesn't stop me running, swimming
or
cycling. Once it is fixed will the medics be warning me off any of these
activities?

I am also having hand surgery in two weeks time and even I can see that
cycling will be tricky with the palm stitched up!

I was warned off cycling for 6 weeks after the event, I had a small
tear
and had open surgery with a nylon mesh implanted.

On a similar occasion I was told not to cycle for 3 weeks and actually
took 3 1/2 before I felt confident. A few twinges at first but fine
after 2 months.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old February 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Geoff Pearson wrote:

The doctor has just agreed that I have a small inguinal (groin) hernia
which she expects will be fixed with some keyhole surgery.

I've had it for at least 3 years and it doesn't stop me running, swimming
or
cycling. Once it is fixed will the medics be warning me off any of these
activities?

No, I have one too. No problem. Except when the back wheel suddenly loses
grip on a muddy greasy slope... then the scar /bloody/ /hurts/.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

For Sale: Bike, Bike, Bike, Bike, Frame, and wheels. gplama[_137_] Australia 53 July 3rd 07 09:37 AM
Weird non-hernia testicle issue -- any ideas? David_Stone Unicycling 16 March 15th 07 10:35 PM
Hernia and bike riding Joseph Australia 3 November 4th 05 09:00 PM
new hernia treatment Vadim Racing 0 May 16th 05 01:07 AM
Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM