Police refuse to chase bike thieves

Old March 6th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Default Police refuse to chase bike thieves

Paul Murphy wrote:

[scythe]

Mate, this conversation has drifted too far off topic. I will leave you
to your dreams of handing out PCN's to any car that dares to park in
such a way as to hold up your bus.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I fought the Dharma, and the Dharma won." (Allen Ginsberg)
Old March 6th 07, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Mar 5, 3:30 am, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:
John Kane said the following on 04/03/2007 15:48:

Excuse me, but is the phrase not "At times"?

It could be "At this time..." :-)

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Or perhaps "At this point in time ..."?

Old March 6th 07, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Default Police also refuse to record bike thefts

Gerald H wrote:

Well the Dorset police refused to register the theft of a bicycle from my
house because it belonged to my guest and wasn't my bike.

Did they refuse to register the theft or did they expect the person
whose bike had been stolen to report the crime?

If the former, then I would expect a letter to the Chief Constable,
copied to the local press and MP, might elicit a useful response. It is
my understanding that coppers are obliged to investigate all reported
crime. They may make silly, or even stupid, decisions in their
investigations but the crime must be recorded.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United
Old March 6th 07, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Paul Murphy wrote:

"Don Whybrow" wrote in message

How about having those fine folks that make sure there is no illegal
parking having a visible presence on foot. Obviously I can't comment on
where you are, but round here they are very visible, in fact you have to
be a particularly dumb motorist to miss them.

Sometimes that wouldn't be reasonable though, much more efficient for them
to cover a larger area (especially on the outskirts of their area) using
motorised transport.

Surely this would be an ideal use for a bicycle. It's easy to manoeuvre,
easy to park and swift. Bearing in mind the name of this group, I'm
rather surprised no-one's thought of it already.

Cheers,
Luke

Old March 7th 07, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Murphy

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message
snip
Surely this would be an ideal use for a bicycle. It's easy to manoeuvre,
easy to park and swift. Bearing in mind the name of this group, I'm
rather surprised no-one's thought of it already.

Thats a good point, I agree. They could even use electric power assisted
bicycles which would be helpful getting around very hilly areas.

Paul

Old March 7th 07, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

"Paul Murphy" writes:

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message
snip
Surely this would be an ideal use for a bicycle. It's easy to
manoeuvre, easy to park and swift. Bearing in mind the name of this
group, I'm rather surprised no-one's thought of it already.

Thats a good point, I agree. They could even use electric power
assisted bicycles which would be helpful getting around very hilly
areas.

If they were physically disabled, yes, they may be useful.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old March 7th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Earl Purple

On 6 Mar, 21:06, "Paul Murphy"
wrote:
How about the possibility that people parking illegally have just popped
into a shop for 5 mins (outside a takeaway or video shop would be a good
example) and the nearest car park space is about that amount of walking
time away? Is it right to let those people get away with illegal parking
because they think ah I know I can get away with 5 mins here because the
parking attendants can't park close enough to get me in that time? If you
give unscrupulous motorists an inch in this regard, they'll take a mile.

How about having those fine folks that make sure there is no illegal
parking having a visible presence on foot. Obviously I can't comment on
where you are, but round here they are very visible, in fact you have to
be a particularly dumb motorist to miss them.

Sometimes that wouldn't be reasonable though, much more efficient for them
to cover a larger area (especially on the outskirts of their area) using
motorised transport. Just like with the Police, foot patrols would be more
justified in hot spots of high offending. In the end what matters most is
that motorists know if they park illegally, there's a good chance they'll
get caught. While the obvious presence of parking attendants will help in
this

Most of the motorists that receive penalty charge notices have parked
legally and in a marked
parking space, but have overrun the time on their meter / pay &
display ticket because they
could not predict in advance that their stay would be so long. Perhaps
they were held up for
some reason.

I have noticed that parking attendants tend to hang around metered
areas checking the tickets,
although the vehicles there are not actually causing any obstruction
to other road users - well
ok maybe they are but I am talking about parking bays here.

The fairest scheme would be to have some sort of smart-card that would
allow you to scan in
when you park and scan out when you leave the space and you pay for
what you use, but you
dare suggest such a scheme and no council will go for it because they
want the extra revenue,
both from fines and for those who overestimate to avoid a possible
fine and pay a lot more than
what they actually end up using.

Can you not think of 'hot spots' where the owners of vehicles have parked
illegally near to their premises so they can keep an occasional eye on
them and watch out for Parking Attendants? The element of rapid surprise
will catch these people out. If they see the enforcing vehicle go past
and know they've got a few minutes up their sleeves they'll move it in
time and then likely move it back again a few minutes later. There's a
notorious pizza shop not far from here which has delivery vehicles parked
illegally outside most evenings. The number of times the local bus I'm on
has had to manoeuvre out of it's way to get around them, or stop
altogether while the drivers perform a U turn to go off on deliveries, is
a real concern.

Delivery vehicles actually have different restrictions from parking.
Theirs are called
rather than
on the road, plus a plate. It would be better of course if shops like
these had
about their
business without obstructing others.

Why would I be 'interested' in revenue for the council and it's
subcontractors? I think it's popular for people to claim parking enforcement
is all about revenue gathering for the council. I think sometimes its their
way of dealing with anger they have because they were previously caught with
a PCN when they took a chance they thought they'd get away with.

Because they are a major source of revenue, see my above comment.

A sort of they're the demons approach. Personally, not owning a car in 7 years, I'm
happy for councils to take loads of money from motorists who park in
contravention. Perhaps they'll put more of it aside for public transport
subsidies etc outside of the 3 main cities or even cycling related facilities.

At least in the London boroughs the council is not responsible in any
way for local
public transport facilities. Cycling facilities are usually inadequate
and it would often
be better if they didn't bother, although a few cycle-parking bays on
the high streets
would be fairly useful. Can't believe they would cost that much
though.

Old March 7th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Earl Purple

On 4 Mar, 10:15, David Hansen wrote:
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:30:33 +0000 someone who may be Sue White
wrote this:-

But the police do high-speed car chases (and extremely high speed
"practising for car chases") which could kill someone who wasn't even
the suspect/person failing to stop.

They have killed people, during "real" "chases" and practice. The
latter includes the case where a police driving instructor (people
we are always told are very good drivers) drove into the back of a
queue of cars at a set of traffic lights.

I would actually ban car chases. The correct solution should be to
track the car. This could actually be a positive side if road-charging
is actually brought in as all cars may be easily trackable. They can
just then put more police on the scene to where the car is heading. (I
am personally against the road-charging scheme but do think tracking
devices could be very useful for this purpose).

Old March 7th 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

wrote this:-

But the police do high-speed car chases (and extremely high speed
"practising for car chases") which could kill someone who wasn't even
the suspect/person failing to stop.

They have killed people, during "real" "chases" and practice. The
latter includes the case where a police driving instructor (people
we are always told are very good drivers) drove into the back of a
queue of cars at a set of traffic lights.

I would actually ban car chases. The correct solution should be to
track the car. This could actually be a positive side if road-charging
is actually brought in as all cars may be easily trackable. They can
just then put more police on the scene to where the car is heading. (I
am personally against the road-charging scheme but do think tracking
devices could be very useful for this purpose).

I'd ban car chases too. Scrotes in Manchester drive around till the
cops see them and then they start a car chase.

I remember two lads joy riding through the Mersey Tunnel who were
killed by a barrierplaced there by guards. Their parents threatened to
sue!

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/...php/t1759.html

Old March 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Murphy

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
"Paul Murphy" writes:

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message
snip
Surely this would be an ideal use for a bicycle. It's easy to
manoeuvre, easy to park and swift. Bearing in mind the name of this
group, I'm rather surprised no-one's thought of it already.

Thats a good point, I agree. They could even use electric power
assisted bicycles which would be helpful getting around very hilly
areas.

If they were physically disabled, yes, they may be useful.

Why only if they're physically disabled? Have you ever ridden a power
assisted bike?

Paul M