Internally routed cables

Old September 30th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Default Internally routed cables

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Brendan ? wrote:
Hi,
I have come to own an older Raleigh cyclocross bike with an internally
routed rear brake cable. On rough surfaces, where this bike often
finds itself, the cable rattles around a lot and makes annoying ding
sounds. Is there a cure for this? I've tried making the cable
(housing) taught inside of the top tube, but that doesn't seem to
change anything.

You could buy spray foam at the hardware store and pump the top tube full.
E.g.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2388&BASE.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.

I bought a used frame off ebay last year that had a very small diameter
sized piece of foam pipe insulation sitting loose in the top tube which had
openings to run the brake cable internally. When I say very small diameter,
I mean the insulation was probably 3/16" thick and the ID was just right to
slide over cable housing. It works very well, but I have no idea where to
source it.

Old September 30th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Brendan ? wrote:
[...]

This stuff?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/TALONSL.JPG

Vinyl tube, any hardware store

Closer to what Tom linked to at Grainger, but the ID was about the same as
cable housing, not 5/8". I think the vinyl tubing would still cause a
rattling noise.

Old September 30th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Brendan wrote:
Hi,
I have come to own an older Raleigh cyclocross bike with an internally
routed rear brake cable. On rough surfaces, where this bike often
finds itself, the cable rattles around a lot and makes annoying ding
sounds. Is there a cure for this? I've tried making the cable
(housing) taught inside of the top tube, but that doesn't seem to
change anything.

Thanks,
Brendan

Sometimes going the other way, pushing more cable housing into the top
tube will cause it to bow and jam against side cutting down on the
bounce and the noise.

HTH

Marcus

Old October 1st 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Brendan ? wrote:
Hi,
I have come to own an older Raleigh cyclocross bike with an internally
routed rear brake cable. On rough surfaces, where this bike often
finds itself, the cable rattles around a lot and makes annoying ding
sounds. Is there a cure for this? I've tried making the cable
(housing) taught inside of the top tube, but that doesn't seem to
change anything.

You could buy spray foam at the hardware store and pump the top tube
full.
E.g.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2388&BASE.

Please Honor The Signature Separator.

Grainger: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3F399.

Old October 1st 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Brendan ? wrote:
[...]

Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Old October 1st 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brendan

On Sep 30, 7:59*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Brendan ? wrote:
Hi,
I have come to own an older Raleigh cyclocross bike with an internally
routed rear brake cable. On rough surfaces, where this bike often
finds itself, the cable rattles around a lot and makes annoying ding
sounds. Is there a cure for this? I've tried making the cable
(housing) taught inside of the top tube, but that doesn't seem to
change anything.

You could buy spray foam at the hardware store and pump the top tube full..
E.g.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2.....

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.

The foam idea is interesting, but if I do that, I assume the housing
is stuck in there for all eternity.
Old October 3rd 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 30, 3:02*pm, Brendan wrote:
Hi,
I have come to own an older Raleigh cyclocross bike with an internally
routed rear brake cable. On rough surfaces, where this bike often
finds itself, the cable rattles around a lot and makes annoying ding
sounds. Is there a cure for this? I've tried making the cable
(housing) taught inside of the top tube, but that doesn't seem to
change anything.

Thanks,
Brendan

Dear Brendan,

Here's the cu

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...oad/2008/10/02

It looks easy to insert cable doughnuts. Heck, you could stuff lengths
of hot water pipe insulation around the internal cables.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel