Melbourne: Best route east out of city

Old April 13th 05, 05:51 AM
Walrus

Default Melbourne: Best route east out of city

Melbourne CBD bike commuters could you help?

I've started riding in on a road bike. Yesterday I found the traffic
nightmare getting out of the city. I know that it's never going to b
empty roads, but there has to be a better way than along Flinders s
and Alexandra Parade onto Bridge road. I was ducking and weaving al
over the place.

I'm heading to High st Kew from cnr Collins/Elizabeth. Any suggestion
of a route that might allow wider roads and less white knuckle riding?
Along the river? Victoria parade and onto Studley Park road

--
Walrus

Old April 13th 05, 05:59 AM
eddiec

Walrus Wrote:
Melbourne CBD bike commuters could you help?

I've started riding in on a road bike. Yesterday I found the traffic
nightmare getting out of the city. I know that it's never going to b
empty roads, but there has to be a better way than along Flinders s
and Alexandra Parade onto Bridge road. I was ducking and weaving al
over the place.

I'm heading to High st Kew from cnr Collins/Elizabeth. Any suggestion
of a route that might allow wider roads and less white knuckle riding?
Along the river? Victoria parade and onto Studley Park road?

your definitely 'going my way'

I start from lt. collins and russell. I take collins st, macarthur, an
right into albert st (there's a bike/footpath on the south side of th
road alongside fitzroy gardens), then a little of clarendon, right int
hotham to Punt Rd (watch the roundabouts!), then Highett St all the wa
to Burnley St (although you can avoid Burnley by taking Gardner), the
down and left into Bridge Rd, across the bridge and past the 'tram sto
of death' (although you can take the footpath there legally), and u
church st to kew....

I've found it ok so far. Not too frightening, but fairly direct too...
Be happy to ride it with you one day if that helps....

Eddie(my white knuckles are purely a pigmentation problem)

--
eddiec

Old April 13th 05, 06:04 AM
Walrus

eddiec Wrote:
your definitely 'going my way'

I start from lt. collins and russell. I take collins st, macarthur, an
right into albert st (there's a bike/footpath on the south side of th
road alongside fitzroy gardens), then a little of clarendon, right int
hotham to Punt Rd (watch the roundabouts!), then Highett St all the wa
to Burnley St (although you can avoid Burnley by taking Gardner), the
down and left into Bridge Rd, across the bridge and past the 'tram sto
of death' (although you can take the footpath there legally), and u
church st to kew....

I've found it ok so far. Not too frightening, but fairly direct too...
Be happy to ride it with you one day if that helps....

Eddie(my white knuckles are purely a pigmentation problem)c

Thanks, I'll try it out tonight

--
Walrus

Old April 13th 05, 08:35 AM
DaveB

I was commuting from Collins/William up till a couple of weeks ago. In
the last couple of months I found a new route.

Crossed back over the river to Southgate and followed the bike trail to
Swan St. Nice and quiet excpt getting through the Southgate pedestrians
(but still better than Collins ST traffic). Also handy for dropping in
at Peter Moore.

Swan St to Coppin St. Coppin St rocks as it is flat, never seems to get
much wind, and has bike lane all the way to Bridge Rd.

Bridge Rd over the Yarra and then left up to Kew.

This was 2km longer than my old direct route but 5-10 mins faster, and
so much more relaxing than going through the guts of the CBD.

DaveB
Old April 13th 05, 01:35 PM
flyingdutch

Walrus Wrote:
Melbourne CBD bike commuters could you help?

snipparge...

my 5cents worth

Collins to Swanston. right and down to FedSquare. Turn left onto Nort
side of river and thru Birrarung Mar and along North side of rive
(good alt for you DaveB). Then perhaps North at mary Street (double
back after last pontoon. opposite herron Island) and up to Swan
Burnely and thru the Barkers Rd cutting (footpath if you dont like th
road, altho cars are usually travelling near you rspeed or stationer
anyway so its up the middle of the 2 lanes for me. Tuck left into Tra
carpark and thru gap in brickwall to nice quiet Bowen St, right int
Miller and onto Church up to Kew Junction.
Or jsut replace those last few by following tramline along barkers u
to Junction.

My semi-regular is Bourke (very quiet), Spring/Nicholson, hookturn int
Albert St (nice and wide. pretty much left lane to yourself). All wa
down to Punt, Elizabeth.
Option one.left into Lennox, Elizabeth, Baker and lef tinto Johnso
(not the major one) and right at lights (easy turn) into Victoria St
Option 2 Elizabeth and left into Lennox (use short section of footpat
is 1-way rd for 20m!). Cross Victoria St and go north along Nicholso
St (lane4you). Hookturn into Gipps St, cross "cfsmtb's bridge" , an
up to Boulevard. either left for a bit of training round Boulevard t
TODAY'S NEW LANES ALONG CHANDLER HWY and up to Ear
St/Anniversary trail to get you near your desitnation, OR right alon
boulevard and up to Walmer and either take Studley Park Rd to junctio
OR straight ahead and thru to Stephenson's St

You'll notice from all this I have a myriad of routes. Its to se
different things, keep it fresh and for different times of evening
Routes INTO the CBD are very different.

checkout this BBUG map. Its not quite 'live' yet but your feedback (an
eddiec and anyone else's) would help it along.
Its aimed at the first time CBD-bound commuter from Boroondara.
Keep in mind its for the firs ttimer and and a few of us will b
offering an optional 'escort' service to help turn cagers into rider

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/.../commuter_2.pd

--
flyingdutch

Old April 13th 05, 01:38 PM
flyingdutch

eddiec Wrote:
your definitely 'going my way'

I start from lt. collins and russell. I take collins st, macarthur, an
right into albert st (there's a bike/footpath on the south side of th
road alongside fitzroy gardens), then a little of clarendon, right int
hotham to Punt Rd (watch the roundabouts!), then Highett St all the wa
to Burnley St (although you can avoid Burnley by taking Gardner), the
down and left into Bridge Rd, across the bridge and past the 'tram sto
of death' (although you can take the footpath there legally), and u
church st to kew....

I've found it ok so far. Not too frightening, but fairly direct too...
Be happy to ride it with you one day if that helps....

Eddie(my white knuckles are purely a pigmentation problem)c

Hey Ed. can you take me on your route?
might add it to the Boroondara stuff if it suits...

and yeah, Walrus, if you want guidance Im more than happy to ride wit
you too. Learning other people's routes is cool (That's how i learn
the VicPark underpass off Lulie St, Abbotsford. (refer pdf map

--
flyingdutch

Old April 13th 05, 02:01 PM
eddiec

flyingdutch Wrote:
Hey Ed. can you take me on your route?
might add it to the Boroondara stuff if it suits...

and yeah, Walrus, if you want guidance Im more than happy to ride wit
you too. Learning other people's routes is cool (That's how i learn
the VicPark underpass off Lulie St, Abbotsford. (refer pdf map)

happy to... as long as you can ride slow The route in and out ar
ever so slightly different, but doesn't matter that much (ie. route i
goes around the back of kew cemetery, route out just blats down th
hill along high st...)

give me some possible days for either morning or evening runs and we'l
line one up... or just meet me tomorrow morning (thinking of what's no
too far out of your way) at the intersection of balwyn and gordon st
at 8am...

Eddie(damn - now i'll be forced to act macho and ride fast)

--
eddiec

Old April 13th 05, 03:18 PM
hippy

Walrus wrote:
Melbourne CBD bike commuters could you help?

I've started riding in on a road bike. Yesterday I found the traffic a
nightmare getting out of the city. I know that it's never going to be
empty roads, but there has to be a better way than along Flinders st
and Alexandra Parade onto Bridge road. I was ducking and weaving all
over the place.

I'm heading to High st Kew from cnr Collins/Elizabeth. Any suggestions
of a route that might allow wider roads and less white knuckle riding?
Along the river? Victoria parade and onto Studley Park road?

Best route in east Melbourne? Well of course that's.. oh.. I see. Um..
Carry on.

hippy
"100% Useless, Guaranteed!"
Old April 13th 05, 10:06 PM
flyingdutch

eddiec Wrote:
happy to... as long as you can ride slow The route in and out ar
ever so slightly different, but doesn't matter that much (ie. route i
goes around the back of kew cemetery, route out just blats down th
hill along high st...)

give me some possible days for either morning or evening runs and we'l
line one up... or just meet me tomorrow morning (thinking of what's no
too far out of your way) at the intersection of balwyn and gordon st
at 8am...

Eddie(damn - now i'll be forced to act macho and ride fast)c

see you there. dont worry. feeling vewy sluggish this morning :

--
flyingdutch

Old April 14th 05, 12:05 AM
Walrus

flyingdutch Wrote:
[...]

I like Option 2, might give that go. I prefer a spin on the Boulevar
before retiring for the evening. How good are those news lanes on th
Chandler

--
Walrus

bike route: sidewalk? brink General 13 October 6th 05 12:28 AM
Ride Report: Ottawa-Montreal-Ottawa via Gatineau River Valley, P'titTrain du Nord, Ottawa River Valley Richard Rodgers Rides 1 August 27th 05 09:27 PM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
Youth & Miami Exploding onto Mayors' Ride Scene #4 Cycle America General 0 March 14th 05 08:51 PM