Panorama: Go green or else!

Old March 5th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

Default Panorama: Go green or else!

Hi

Did anyone see this? I only saw the opening few minutes (will download
it later) but it seemed to be based around telling people that they'll
have to "go green" one day and that from then their lives will be
miserable with no car and no cheap foreign holidays. The show followed
a family who had been forced to live under these conditions for a
year. The presenter, Jeremy Vine (someone who massively irritates me
at the best of times), was his usual antagonistic self: "I don't like
being told what to do so instead I drove my massive car around and
flew off to the Canaries with my family". Arse.

Perhaps the show didn't live up to its initial impressions (I hope it
didn't) but it struck me as a fairly effective way of turning people
off the idea of perhaps living a bit more modestly. I'm no tree-
hugging swampy but I think it's fairly obvious to anyone with a bit of
sense that we can't sustain current lifestyles indefinitely.

Mark

Old March 5th 07, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Mark wrote:
[...]

I'm rather looking forward to Channel 4 on Thursday, for a bit of balance.
Old March 5th 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

"Al C-F" m wrote in
message ...
Mark wrote:
[...]

Might be worth a watch. I expect Prof Bill Gray to be on there somewhere.

Old March 5th 07, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

On Mar 5, 10:48 pm, Al C-F
m wrote:
Mark wrote:
Did anyone see this? I only saw the opening few minutes (will download
it later) but it seemed to be based around telling people that they'll
have to "go green" one day and that from then their lives will be
miserable with no car and no cheap foreign holidays.
[snip]

I'm rather looking forward to Channel 4 on Thursday, for a bit of balance.

Indeed.

It turns out Vine only introduced Panorama and the family didn't die
without a car.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/6413195.stm

Mark

Old March 6th 07, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B

Mark wrote:
I think it's fairly obvious to anyone with a bit of
sense that we can't sustain current lifestyles indefinitely.

I agree, it should be obvious but there are plenty of intelligent
people (and countless others) out there who cannot see it at all. It is
literally inconceivable to them, in the literal sense of the word.
Thanks to wannabe celeb distractions, glittering trinkets and other
shallow distractions almost everyone in the country has been hoodwinked
into this dreamlike state.

Tony B
Old March 6th 07, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

On Mar 6, 12:15 am, (Terry) wrote:
In article om,

(Mark) wrote:
The presenter, Jeremy Vine (someone who massively irritates me
at the best of times), was his usual antagonistic self: "I don't like
being told what to do so instead I drove my massive car around and
flew off to the Canaries with my family". Arse.

Jeremy Vine, who introduced the programme, said no such thing, and the
reporter, who did fly off to the Canaries with his family, didn't quite
put it that way either.

You're quite right. My mistake. Next time I will watch then speak. It
just happened that last night I caught the beginning of the programme
as I left to do something else. I posted to u.r.c, wondering what the
outcome of the show was as some (or possibly many) of its readers are
carless by choice and possibly more interested in the subject matter
on the whole. I'll admit that my dislike of Jeremy Vine swayed my
initial opinion.

The rest of your comments pretty much match that pattern of
misrepresentation.

I did state that I had only seen the first few minutes of the show and
that I hoped it wouldn't turn out to demonstrate how inconvenient and
dull a more restrained lifestyle would be. I'm glad to see that this
wasn't the case.

Mark

Old March 6th 07, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_2_]

Mark wrote:

Indeed.

It turns out Vine only introduced Panorama and the family didn't die
without a car.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/6413195.stm

Thanks for the link.

An interesting article, although some of the savings seemed rather
unconvincing. 50 pounds per year as a reward for extra insulation and
turning the thermostat down doesn't seem worthwhile from a purely financial
standpoint.

A 2000 pounds per year saving giving up the car also bordering on not being
worth it. Bear in mind that there must be an associated increase in
alternative transport costs unless everything you need/want to do is in
walking distance. Add to the monetary savings, the improvements in health
and lifestyle and that might just tip the balance for some people. I might
add, I don't have a car myself.

I'm not sure that there is a culture of people nipping off to another
country when they don't really need to. Foreign travel might be an
improving experience for a lot of people. Again, I should add that I've
never been abroad, although I would like to, one day.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
Old March 6th 07, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 6 Mar, 07:48, killermike wrote:
I'm not sure that there is a culture of people nipping off to another
country when they don't really need to. Foreign travel might be an
improving experience for a lot of people. Again, I should add that I've
never been abroad, although I would like to, one day.

You don't need to fly to experience foreign travel. I've had 2 ski
trips this spring, one by coach and one by train. Last year's holiday
was by boat. You might have a great holiday by jetting and and out of
a resort, but for an "improving experience" you'll do better
travelling more slowly overland.

Panorama takes to its bike davidof UK 14 September 30th 05 09:35 PM
Panorama - Brown's Miracle Economy Douglas Steel UK 6 September 27th 05 07:46 PM
green slime [email protected] General 3 April 5th 05 07:40 AM
FS or Poss Trade: Ridgeback Panorama Matt UK 0 January 4th 05 05:12 PM
Simple Green taywood UK 5 August 12th 04 05:31 PM