My Interbike Photos On Line

Old September 26th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Martin Riddle

Default My Interbike Photos On Line

"SMS" wrote in message
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously
there was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested too
much in the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and sports
nutrition, nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels. My
interests are more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Steve

Great stuff Steve, Thanks for putting it all together.

Cheers

Old September 26th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
ZBicyclist

SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously
there was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested
too
much in the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and
sports
nutrition, nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels.
My
interests are more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Thanks for these!

Hard to see shoppers becoming a big segment. These things have much
to recommend them over the supercheap at one end (milk crate on the
rack) and the aftermarket Xtracycle on the other?

Any guesses what makes the Schwinn "Earth" too expensive to
manufacture?

"Gatorade forgot to train the booth personnel that they hired in
Vegas to staff their booth." -- Gosh, that's surprising. The
Gatorade brand got built with lots of attention to detail. Plus,
they have tons of money. As a stockholder [originally in Quaker, now
in PepsiCo] I'm disappointed.

"This tandem has the stoker in front. Inexplicably they have a brake
lever for the stoker" -- I'm confused here. The brake lever is on
the handlebar in front. In fact, I only see one handlebar on the
bike. Oh, wait, there's a handlebar in front, and another handlebar
farther in front? Do they both steer? My wife and I were
unsuccessful enough as tandeming without both of us getting to steer
at the same time.

You've got that World Bicycle Relief roadster there, which has a
delivered price to some needy 3rd world person of $134. This thing
is really sturdy and is a bike you can bequeath to your
grandchildren. www.worldbicyclerelief.org Note that with the
possible cost of the Wall Street bailout, we could buy 11.9 billion
of these -- enough for every man, woman and child on earth now, and
for some years to come. [math he
http://mikekr.blogspot.com/2008/09/b...out-scale.html ] Steve,
I wish your line "This roadster is being exported to third-world
countries. The U.S. will soon qualify, thanks to W." was funnier.

You may have been surprised to see Bruce Gordon at the show, but I
was surprised to see him in the Wall St Journal a few days ago:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122203411663760967.html

"The SLUG Queen has been a tradition here for a quarter century. It
began because some rebellious local politicians wanted to make a
snide statement about other Oregon pageants -- Portland's Rose
Queen, Lebanon's Strawberry Queen and the state's Miss Rodeo....
"The first year, they picked Bruce Gordon, a bicycle designer. For
the first parade, Mr. Gordon dressed up in a mint-colored gown and
perched atop an MG convertible. He was followed by a 25-foot slug,
modeled after a Chinese dragon. It's still in use today.

"Later that day, Mr. Gordon surprised the mayor by showing up at the
high-toned Mayor's art show in a wig.

" "Everyone was shocked," Ms. Wooten says. "They didn't know what to
do." Soon everyone was laughing, and today the reigning slug queen
always opens the art show."

--
Mike Kruger
http://mikekr.blogspot.com/

Old September 26th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

ZBicyclist wrote:

You've got that World Bicycle Relief roadster there, which has a
delivered price to some needy 3rd world person of $134. This thing
is really sturdy and is a bike you can bequeath to your
grandchildren. www.worldbicyclerelief.org Note that with the
possible cost of the Wall Street bailout, we could buy 11.9 billion
of these -- enough for every man, woman and child on earth now, and
for some years to come. [math he

Well I'd be in favor of spending a trillion dollars on 8 billion
bicycles. Maybe there would be a quantity discount over 1 billion units.

http://mikekr.blogspot.com/2008/09/b...out-scale.html ] Steve,
I wish your line "This roadster is being exported to third-world
countries. The U.S. will soon qualify, thanks to W." was funnier.

Or sadder, because what's happening now is not all that funny. We're
looking a huge decrease in the value of the dollar that'll make the
earlier declines look like nothing.
Old September 26th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

SMS writes:

I have a Montague folder with a stealth folding mechanism as well,
"http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Montague&Model=Urba n&Type=bike"
though it's around the seat tube, not mid-frame tube.

I once had to prove that my Montague would fold, since the jobs-worth
didn't believe me.

73, doug

Old September 26th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

ZBicyclist wrote:
SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously
there was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested
too
much in the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and
sports
nutrition, nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels.
My
interests are more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Thanks for these!

Hard to see shoppers becoming a big segment.

Not at $1200, but maybe at $300-400, if some of the bigger manufacturers
enter that segment. If they can make a decent $300 hybrid, then they can
make a decent $300 shopper.
Old September 26th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Photo captions reads:

Mirrors make a comeback as shopper and roadster bikes become
more common as the Republicans destroy the U.S. economy.

LOL! - Mike Baldwin

And Martin writes:

Was the best line in there.
Cheers

FYI - sarcasm

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old September 26th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously there
was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested too much in
the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and sports nutrition,
nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels. My interests are
more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Mr. Scharf is to be commended for writing "RANS" correctly in all caps.

"Pashley Roadsters now sold in the U.S.. The first roadsters in the U.S.
where you have to take out a home-equity loan to buy them. Look at the
true shopper with the humongous basket."

That http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/IMG_0906.JPG
is a delivery bicycle ("butcher bike", "trades bike" etc.), not a
shopping bicycle. I want one, but then I may have watched to many "Open
All Hours" reruns.

It appears that reflective sidewalls are "in".

"A unique front mounted trailer.":
http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/IMG_0954.JPG. Can it be called a
trailer if it is in front?

"Another valiant attempt to replace the chain, this time with a shaft.
Why don't these Asian companies pay someone $100 to check their English
prior to printing literature, signs, and banners?"
http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/IMG_0968.JPG Maybe they hired gene
(datakoll) to make the sign?

"Airhubs (or hubs for airheads)

I think this should get my coveted "Worst of Show" award.

It's hard to see what this is about. OMG, how did I live without an air
pump in my hubs for so long? A hose connects the hub the valve. You push
a button, then get on and ride, and the tire inflates up to a pressure
pre-set with an adjustment screw. Bizarre.

Maybe they could add a tire pressure monitoring system that wirelessly
sends the tire pressure to your bicycle computer."

How about a control for letting some air out of the tires to prevent
blow-offs on long, slow descents, then pumping the tires back up with
the hub pump?

“the bacteria people tuned in-as to bioengineering at the correct wave
Point” - gene daniels
Old September 26th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Tom Keats

In article ,
SMS writes:
ZBicyclist wrote:
SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously
there was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested
too
much in the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and
sports
nutrition, nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels.
My
interests are more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Thanks for these!

Hard to see shoppers becoming a big segment.

Not at $1200, but maybe at $300-400, if some of the bigger manufacturers
enter that segment. If they can make a decent $300 hybrid, then they can
make a decent $300 shopper.

I've seen a number of high-priced Jorg-&-Olifs, Breezers,
Electras etc around town, and y'know what? None of 'em are
used anywhere near to their potential as utilitarian bikes.

They're for "being seen to be green" by the Trendies
who can afford to waste their money on appearances,
when they meet their friends at Starbucks.

Those bikes aren't seen anywhere on the market stretch
of Main St on rainy days.

And putting such a premium on utilitarian cycling by
purveying these snobmobiles does a great disservice.

I agree with you. If decent $3-500 city bikes were
proffered, they'd sell like hotcakes. And they're
necessary.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 26th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Brian Huntley

On Sep 25, 5:18*pm, SMS wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:
On Sep 25, 4:10 pm, SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

Any info on "The Dahon/Ritchey full size dissasembleable bike"? Is it
coupled like an S-and-S'ed bike?

No, it's got it's own system. It's been around for several years.

See "http://www.dahon.com/us/tournado.htm"

And are those mid-fork front rake mounts on it?

I don't remember looking for those, but I'm pretty sure it does include
the low-rider mounts. You could call Dahon after the show and ask them.

Thanks for the info. I think my LBS's senior folks are at Interbike
this week, so will ask them Monday or Tuesday. That bike would be
right up their alley (and mine) from the looks of it.
Old September 26th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
landotter

On Sep 26, 11:16 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
SMS writes:

ZBicyclist wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

That's awesome! Better that than wanking with a $25K Priunis. Plus,
when they tire of the doodad, I can grab it offa Craigslist. Hell, I
was at Kmart today--and they had Huffy trekking bikes with fenders and
racks for $250. Only slightly miserable--but nice enough that a
shopper at Kmart would see that the things exist.

Trends, even good ones, involve annoying people, and incarnations of
objects in lo-fi. Happens.

Speaking of appearances--I had a chick compliment me on my bucket
panniers today! I just made them from Kirkland brand detergent tubs.
"Nice buckets!" I think I'm gonna cover them with some pleather for
that real upscale bucket look.

start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Australia 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
Interbike 2004 photos terminaut Mountain Biking 3 October 22nd 04 01:47 AM