My Interbike Photos On Line

Old September 26th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

Default My Interbike Photos On Line

landotter wrote:

Speaking of appearances--I had a chick compliment me on my bucket
panniers today! I just made them from Kirkland brand detergent tubs.
"Nice buckets!" I think I'm gonna cover them with some pleather for
that real upscale bucket look.

I saw a woman riding with a pair of home made panniers from rectangular
chlorine tab buckets (used for swimming pools). She seemed pleased when
I yelled "nice pair" at her.
Old September 26th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles

On Sep 25, 5:47*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 25, 3:52 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
They use the RITCHEY quick release mechanism which is probably a bit
better
than the S and S couplers in my opinion. Tom pretty much refined the
idea to
it's ultimate format.

Except the Ritchey system connects the two parts of the downtube with
a tiny little collar and one Allen head bolt. *I trust the S&S dowtube
coupler much more.

Tom is using that mechanism on a Cross bike which sees WAY more rough
treatment than a road bike and he hasn't been getting any failures that I've
heard of.

Does Tom Ritchey or the Ritchey bike company communicate these details
directly to you? The little hinged seatpost collar thing secured with
one Allen head screw does not look substantial enough to resist the
force put into the downtube. The bottom of the downtube is pushed
side to side by pedaling. And the only thing connecting it to the top
of the downtube is that little collar. No thanks.
Old September 26th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Tom Kunich

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

They're for "being seen to be green" by the Trendies
who can afford to waste their money on appearances,
when they meet their friends at Starbucks.

Exactly where do you think this stuff is going to start? I suggest you get
off of your high horse and note that all things have a beginning.

Old September 26th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 25, 2:47*pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Sep 25, 4:10*pm, SMS wrote:

I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

Any info on "The Dahon/Ritchey full size dissasembleable bike"? Is it
coupled like an S-and-S'ed bike?

And are those mid-fork front rake mounts on it?

Ritchey bikes don't disasemble with S&S. Ritchey has his own
proprietary system. The frame folds in half. If you go to the ritchey
website you can see how his folding frames are.

Andres
Old September 26th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Chip C

On Sep 25, 4:10 pm, SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously there
was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested too much in
the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and sports nutrition,
nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels. My interests are
more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Steve

Excellent photo set, many thanks.

Offhand, do you recall the name of the company behind the "Some low-
priced retro cruisers" shot? The nifty orange roadster with the hub
brake obscures the URL on the carpet. Looks like www.?et?velo.com.

Chip C
Toronto
Old September 26th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 25, 2:52*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Brian Huntley" wrote in message

On Sep 25, 4:10 pm, SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

Any info on "The Dahon/Ritchey full size dissasembleable bike"? Is it
coupled like an S-and-S'ed bike?

They use the RITCHEY quick release mechanism which is probably a bit better
than the S and S couplers in my opinion. Tom pretty much refined the idea to
it's ultimate format.

Actually, when I was a kid in Argentina, all children's bikes were
folding and used a rudimentary version of Ritchey's folding system.
Kids bikes had only a thick downtube. the downtube was cut in half and
each half was stamped into a hinge, like a door hinge. The hinge was
held together with a quick release when the frame was fully assembled.
You open the quick release and the frame would fold just like a door
opens. This is similar to Ritchey's system. The bottom part of the
system is simply a cleaner version of the bikes that I rode when I was
a child, but essentially the same. The two halves of a Ritchie frame
remain together but folded. The s&s allows you to separate the frame
completely.

Here si ritchey's version: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3020

Andres
Old September 26th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Don Freeman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message

They're for "being seen to be green" by the Trendies
who can afford to waste their money on appearances,
when they meet their friends at Starbucks.

Exactly where do you think this stuff is going to start? I suggest you
get off of your high horse and note that all things have a beginning.

Exactly. When enough are being sold to those that can afford it the
economics of scale kick in and the cost gets lowered so that more can
afford them and the cycle (no pun intended) continues.

Old September 26th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

Chip C wrote:
On Sep 25, 4:10 pm, SMS wrote:
I put up my pictures from Interbike at
"http://nordicgroup.us/interbike2008/"

These are photos of things that interested me the show. Obviously there
was a lot more to the show than this. I wasn't interested too much in
the fifty or so booths selling their sports drinks and sports nutrition,
nor was I interested in $200 headsets or $1000 wheels. My interests are
more along the utilitarian aspects of cycling.

Steve

Excellent photo set, many thanks.

Offhand, do you recall the name of the company behind the "Some low-
priced retro cruisers" shot? The nifty orange roadster with the hub
brake obscures the URL on the carpet. Looks like www.?et?velo.com.

That was my mistake. The booth that is shown in the photo is that of
Retrovelo Mehlert Patitz GbR

whose web site is at http://www.retrovelo.de/ and whose English language
catalog is at
"http://www.retrovelo.de/katalog/pic/pdf/katalog_retrovelo_eng.pdf"

The cheaper cruisers were from "http://www.greenlinebicycles.com".
Old September 26th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

Don Freeman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message

They're for "being seen to be green" by the Trendies
who can afford to waste their money on appearances,
when they meet their friends at Starbucks.

Exactly where do you think this stuff is going to start? I suggest you
get off of your high horse and note that all things have a beginning.

Exactly. When enough are being sold to those that can afford it the
economics of scale kick in and the cost gets lowered so that more can
afford them and the cycle (no pun intended) continues.

Yes, that's what happened with mountain bikes, carbon fiber and titanium
frames, etc.

Schwinn had two one speed roadsters for sale at Performance for pretty
cheap and they can't keep them in stock. With all of the discounts and
the Team Performance kickback, you could get one for less than $200.

"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25077&estore_ID=1366"
"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25078&estore_ID=1366"

I saw Flying Pigeon at the show, but they were pushing electric
bicycles, while small shops are directly importing their roadsters from
China because Flying Pigeon doesn't understand the demand for lower end
product. For $300 you can buy a classic roadster with rod brakes from
"http://flyingpigeon-la.com/shop/" complete with a rear rack, a basket,
a kickstand, dynamo lights, and a fully enclosed chain guard.

This bike costs less than $100 in China, retail. This shop is getting
very good margins even after the freight costs from China.

Old September 26th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
bfd

On Sep 26, 7:33*am, " wrote:
On Sep 25, 2:52*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Actually, when I was a kid in Argentina, all children's bikes were
folding and used a rudimentary version of Ritchey's folding system.
Kids bikes had only a thick downtube. the downtube was cut in half and
each half was stamped into a hinge, like a door hinge. The hinge was
held together with a quick release when the frame was fully assembled.
You open the quick release and the frame would fold just like a door
opens. This is similar to Ritchey's system. The bottom part of the
system is simply a cleaner version of the bikes that I rode when I was
a child, but essentially the same. The two halves of a Ritchie frame
remain together but folded. The s&s allows you to separate the frame
completely.

I don't know what "Ritchey's folding system" you're talking about, but
the Ritchey *breakaway* system does NOT have a hinge nor folds. It
separates the frame just like the s&s system.

start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Racing 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
start line photos start line Australia 0 May 10th 05 07:43 PM
Interbike 2004 photos terminaut Mountain Biking 3 October 22nd 04 01:47 AM