Improving seat clamp and post

Old October 1st 03, 01:07 PM
joona

Default Improving seat clamp and post

My seat clamp really sucks and it's quite a hard to find good clamps
that fit unicycles with 22 mm seat posts. Normal bicycle stores don't
usually have clamps this small. So I was wondering if someone has tried
this:
[image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...66/kaavio.jpg]
I'm going to drill a hole to the clamp and seat post or just trough the
frame and seat post and put a second bolt in the hole. This would
prevent all the movement of the saddle. I think I'm going to drill a few
holes in the seatpost about 1/2"-1" apart so I can still adjust the
height. So should I drill through the clamp or the frame?
1.Through clamp: +The bolt won't hit legs
+Might look a little better
-Holes in seat post will show if the seat is
high and weaken the seat post parts outside frame.

2.Through frame: +Seat post holes won't show and weaken the seat
post.
-Might hit legs

What do you think?

--
joona - )-O --Neat

Real men use the same razor to shave their beard and legs
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old October 1st 03, 05:44 PM
KnowFear

Oooh - bad idea. Drilling holes in your seat post and frame will only
introduce weakness and create new problems. I had the same problem with
my quick-release seat post clamp. I bought a 3-bolt cast aluminum clamp
that replaces the quick-release clamp. The only work required is to
grind off the weld where the clamp collar is welded to the frame. I
don't change my seat height much, so the loss of the quick-release
feature didn't bother me. I bought the clamp from Darren Bedford, but I
think Unicycle.com has them also.

Chris

--
KnowFear
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

Old October 1st 03, 06:46 PM
johnfoss

paco wrote:
*One of the problems with Schwinns is that you can't get the micro
adjustments that unicyclists like.*

Now there's an understatement. Increments of no less than 1" are one of
the main problems with the bolt-through-post design. Any bike manual
will tell you to adjust your seat no more than a few mm at a time to
optimize your fit. Totally impossible on a Schwinn (or Semcycle
Deluxe).

The other main weakness in the design of those cycles is the stamped
steel frames' flexibility. They twist back and forth a lot, as well as
side to side, which can make the tire rub the frame.

However this stamped steel makes the frames very strong around the bolt,
so there is no worry of squishing or cracking. This is what you would
have to worry about on a conventional post, which is made of thinner,
lighter (yet structurally stiffer) tubing. Plus you won't be able to
adjust your seat without making more holes.

I have not had problems finding strong clamps to fit my unicycles that
needed them. I'm sure there's something out there that can fit your post
and frame. If not, use shims. Either beer can or custom-made shims,
they'll shore you up and allow you the freedom to adjust your seat.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Old October 1st 03, 09:57 PM
joona

I went to four different stores to get a new clamp and found one. It's
even worser than the old one, except I haven't broke this yet. I'll have
put e-mail to guy who's going to order some stuff from the
Unicycle.uk.com.

Old October 3rd 03, 03:05 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

I did that with an old cheap unicycle.
Solved the problem.
Rode it hard, never had any structural problems.
Lasted years until someone smashed the window in my car and stole it? Hope
they could at least ride.
Just put the bolt the same way as the seat, so if the blot sticks out it
doesn't rub the thighs....

Unicycles should be built to bike part standards so parts are
interchangable.

Just one hole and one bolt does the trick.

Old October 3rd 03, 03:32 PM
joona

Thanks, I'll have to do that when I go home.