Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

Old March 18th 21, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

My chain rings are through again but replacements have become expensive.
It's now much cheaper to buy a simple crank set of another brand.
Preferably steel because aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will move me up hills
much better. Getting old, and all that sort of thing. However, says it's
for 110mm BB and I wonder if my chain line would go out of whack. I'll
ask on Amazon as well but usually there aren't good answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the front DR cage looks tall
enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 18th 21, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 3/18/21 2:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have become expensive.
It's now much cheaper to buy a simple crank set of another brand.
Preferably steel because aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

It also comes in 53/39:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UUYXE/

Old March 18th 21, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 2:58:16 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
[...]

I think that you would like the compact chainrings but you must also get a compact front derailleur or you will be throwing the chain every other day. As for the larger chainrings, why? I find it difficult to believe that you are busy spinning down hills or making more than perhaps 300 watts to exceed the speed capability of a 50 ring. Be careful, though a compact and triple derailleur look pretty much alike they have different lift ratios.
Old March 18th 21, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 3/18/21 3:29 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Why wouldn't the normal old Shimano 600 derailer work? Its cage looks
way tall enough to make that large step. But, I can also get the 53/39T.

... As for the larger chainrings, why? I find it
difficult to believe that you are busy spinning down hills or making
more than perhaps 300 watts to exceed the speed capability of a 50
ring.

I spend most of my time on the 52T right now and one of the smaller cogs
in back. I like to ride with a lower cadence than most and sometimes I
enjoy full power in the flatlands or taking advantage of a strong
tailwind. When coming down from the mountainous regions east of here I
often put the coals on for "fastest flight". Miles and miles of downhill.

... Be careful, though a compact and triple derailleur look pretty
much alike they have different lift ratios.

I know it won't be ideal but my old derailer has a simple straight cage,
no fancy guide features and stuff.

Everyone told me that cramming a 11-32T into the rear would not work
right but it did. Then, using a new derailer and 1" drop-down extender,
I went to 11-40T. Now that that's worn again I installed 12-42T
MicroShift cassette and it works nicely. On this bike I can't use the
smallest cog because the way the frame is built. So it's essentially a
glorified washer to fill the freehub body. It used to be 6-speed in back
but I bent it up to 130mm when I could no longer obtain freehub bodies
for 126mm.

Old March 19th 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 14:58:11 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

My chain rings are through again but replacements have become expensive.
It's now much cheaper to buy a simple crank set of another brand.
Preferably steel because aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will move me up hills
much better. Getting old, and all that sort of thing. However, says it's
for 110mm BB and I wonder if my chain line would go out of whack. I'll
ask on Amazon as well but usually there aren't good answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the front DR cage looks tall
enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

You do know that it isn't necessary to buy a Shimano chain ring, I'm
sure. I see no-name sprockets for as low as $8.00 each.

See Sheldon's site for determining the correct bolt hole spacing if
you buy non Shimano.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 19th 21, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 4:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have
become expensive. It's now much cheaper to buy a simple
crank set of another brand. Preferably steel because
aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will move me
up hills much better. Getting old, and all that sort of
thing. However, says it's for 110mm BB and I wonder if my
chain line would go out of whack. I'll ask on Amazon as well
but usually there aren't good answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the front DR cage
looks tall enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

600EX front changer is stretched for 50x32. Chain will drag
on the cage connector in half the cross gears. If you can
adjust to that then yes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 19th 21, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 6:00 PM, Joerg wrote:
[...]

If 50x32 is what you want, go for it.

Later you can get the correct chainline with a $30 crank
bearing cartridge. If the front changer drag bothers you, a
new one is $15 up. Meanwhile, neither of those will keep you
from riding.

Old March 19th 21, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Maybe. Wear rates do vary a lot once you got outside of
Campagnolo and Shimano material.

Significantly Joerg notes, as I have here often, that
Congress in their wisdom doesn't tax cranksets but
chainrings are taxed at full rate, making a complete
crankset about the price of two rings usually.

Old March 19th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 3/18/21 5:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/18/2021 4:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have
become expensive. It's now much cheaper to buy a simple
crank set of another brand. Preferably steel because
aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will move me
up hills much better. Getting old, and all that sort of
thing. However, says it's for 110mm BB and I wonder if my
chain line would go out of whack. I'll ask on Amazon as well
but usually there aren't good answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the front DR cage
looks tall enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

600EX front changer is stretched for 50x32.Â* Chain will drag on the cage
connector in half the cross gears. If you can adjust to that then yes.

Yes, I am used to having to trim all the time. Not a big deal because
it's friction shifters and once I am down in the flatlands I rarely
shift. I like a large gear range because of some really steep hills
where I live.

Old March 24th 21, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luns Tee[_5_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 3:06:50 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 3/18/21 2:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have become expensive.
It's now much cheaper to buy a simple crank set of another brand.
Preferably steel because aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

It also comes in 53/39:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UUYXE/

If you were to go with that, I'd suggest the 130mm BCD version of that instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Vuelta-Corsa-...dp/B079TZYD87/

Assuming they didn't do anything funky with the bolt pattern and if you don't find the aesthetics too dissonant, you could then just swap the chainrings onto your existing crank and avoid any chainline issues.

But making the move to 50/32 seems to make a lot of sense. I don't think the extra 3mm of spindle on each side would be as much of an issue as the capacity of the front derailleur.

-Luns