A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Special tools for bicycles



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 6th 21, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Special tools for bicycles

I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.
Ads
  #2  
Old April 6th 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.


I should also say that many of my special tools such as the tool for removing fork crown races is missing. While conked out I suppose that I sold off most of my special tools and have had to build them up again. Why do you suppose that the Japanese and the Italians would use a different notch pattern for the cogset removal tool when they are identical in size? I have some tools that I have no idea what they are supposed to fit and then they work on things I would never have expected. A bottom bracket socket that works perfectly for locking the centerlock disk onto a disk brake wheel. That must have been an accident.
  #3  
Old April 6th 21, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,134
Default Special tools for bicycles

On 4/6/2021 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.


You come off as crazy when you dispute things I actually say. You come
off as way beyond crazy when you invent things I never said.

Medications should be able to help. How often do you visit your doctor?

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #4  
Old April 6th 21, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,016
Default Special tools for bicycles

On 4/6/2021 11:31 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.


I should also say that many of my special tools such as the tool for removing fork crown races is missing. While conked out I suppose that I sold off most of my special tools and have had to build them up again. Why do you suppose that the Japanese and the Italians would use a different notch pattern for the cogset removal tool when they are identical in size? I have some tools that I have no idea what they are supposed to fit and then they work on things I would never have expected. A bottom bracket socket that works perfectly for locking the centerlock disk onto a disk brake wheel. That must have been an accident.


'Why do you suppose...?' Simple and well known

Shimano developed the UG freewheel tool spline format, which
proved much more durable than (and with all the other
benefits[1] of) the original Zeus/Phil remover for
Atom/Regina spline. Freewheels near-universally use this
system now some 45 years later. That's good design IMHO.

First series HyperGlide lockrings also used that pattern
which is when Campagnolo adopted it for their own cassette.

Shimano however changed to a more diminutive spline for HG
and now CenterLock as that tool did not need to bear FW
removing torque.

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #5  
Old April 6th 21, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 10:32:44 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2021 11:31 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.


I should also say that many of my special tools such as the tool for removing fork crown races is missing. While conked out I suppose that I sold off most of my special tools and have had to build them up again. Why do you suppose that the Japanese and the Italians would use a different notch pattern for the cogset removal tool when they are identical in size? I have some tools that I have no idea what they are supposed to fit and then they work on things I would never have expected. A bottom bracket socket that works perfectly for locking the centerlock disk onto a disk brake wheel. That must have been an accident.

'Why do you suppose...?' Simple and well known

Shimano developed the UG freewheel tool spline format, which
proved much more durable than (and with all the other
benefits[1] of) the original Zeus/Phil remover for
Atom/Regina spline. Freewheels near-universally use this
system now some 45 years later. That's good design IMHO.

First series HyperGlide lockrings also used that pattern
which is when Campagnolo adopted it for their own cassette.

Shimano however changed to a more diminutive spline for HG
and now CenterLock as that tool did not need to bear FW
removing torque.

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!


Ahh, that's right, I forgot this tool originated to remove freewheels.

That's why I still have about a dozen different sizes and groves still in my tool box.
  #6  
Old April 7th 21, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,360
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 5:26:29 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.

..
A good reason to shop in Germany. China is getting more expensive by the day anyway now that the US Post Office no longer subsidises Chinese companies' carriage costs. -- AJ.
..
  #7  
Old April 7th 21, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 6:46:42 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 5:26:29 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I have a growing collection of special tools and the Chinese in particular do NOT stick to the tool standards. This Zitto BB386 x 24 that I have does not have the standard OD for the Park Tool which fits all American BB386 bottom brackets. I did order the BB wrench at the time I ordered the BB but they missed shipping it so I have been waiting for two weeks and likely to be waiting another two weeks. I have all of the parts to put in the and bleed the hydraulic disks so after I have the crown race removed today, I will put everything together and bleed the brakes so that the only thing left to so will be to tighten the BB, insert the crank and fit the chain.

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.

.
A good reason to shop in Germany. China is getting more expensive by the day anyway now that the US Post Office no longer subsidises Chinese companies' carriage costs. -- AJ.
.

I just go onto eBay. I could have gotten an American made BB386 but didn't find one on eBay. It would have been about the same cost minus the waiting, waiting, waiting but you have to know who is selling what and go to their site. I do as little business with Amazon as possible. But there are things that you simply can't get elsewhere such a a good Torx assortment. I have a local Harbor Freight that probably has them is you could actually find them in that huge mess of tools.

  #8  
Old April 7th 21, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,819
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:32:44 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T consider myself OLD!!!!! Well except when I see my friend's kids who are in college. And then I think, DANG, I'm old. But I remember the 2 notch removal tool, process, for Suntour freewheels back in the 1980s. I thought it was a huge improvement having the splined tool to stick into the center of freehubs/cassettes. Of course 40 years ago you could order CUSTOM freewheels from Bike Warehouse. My brother got me a custom Suntour seven speed freewheel. 13-14-15-16-17-20-24. Perfect. No one sells custom cassettes! Went down to the basement to look in the bicycle toolbox. I have two of the two notch tools. One by Suntour. Bronze, silver color. Made in Japan. Other one is black and looks cheaper. Could not read the manufacturer engraving on top.
  #9  
Old April 7th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,819
Default Special tools for bicycles

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:26:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.


Believe it or not, I do not follow every thread and insult on this forum. But I find it impossible to believe Frank or anyone at all said anything from China is dangerous. After all, just look at the FACTS. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else is using a computer Made In China to type on this forum. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a cellular telephone Made In China. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a television Made In China. All of us, even the most serious MAGA fanatic in the USA, uses Chinese made stuff everyday. I know many people love to scream Buy American, and all the other slogans. But the simple fact is many, most things are not made in the USA. And many, most things source some or all parts from China. And other parts of the world. Trading with other countries is a good thing. It allows everyone to prosper. Good, not bad.
  #10  
Old April 7th 21, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,016
Default Special tools for bicycles

On 4/7/2021 12:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:32:44 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T consider myself OLD!!!!! Well except when I see my friend's kids who are in college. And then I think, DANG, I'm old. But I remember the 2 notch removal tool, process, for Suntour freewheels back in the 1980s. I thought it was a huge improvement having the splined tool to stick into the center of freehubs/cassettes. Of course 40 years ago you could order CUSTOM freewheels from Bike Warehouse. My brother got me a custom Suntour seven speed freewheel. 13-14-15-16-17-20-24. Perfect. No one sells custom cassettes! Went down to the basement to look in the bicycle toolbox. I have two of the two notch tools. One by Suntour. Bronze, silver color. Made in Japan. Other one is black and looks cheaper. Could not read the manufacturer engraving on top.


Suntour made a major improvement with bigger recessed
notches. Classic Euro models just sheared away during removal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INQUIRY: bike purchase [x-post rec.bicycles.marketplace, nyc.bicycles;rec.bicycles.misc] BFB General 2 May 3rd 05 10:09 PM
INQUIRY: bike purchase [x-post rec.bicycles.marketplace, nyc.bicycles;rec.bicycles.misc] BFB Marketplace 0 May 3rd 05 07:13 PM
Buses vs bicycles - Seven news special report Isaac Roberts Australia 20 March 23rd 05 03:23 AM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.