A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

GD cable derailleurs!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 7th 21, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,606
Default GD cable derailleurs!

A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a 9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one. I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike. The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in the middle of a tour. I had a spare.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads
  #2  
Old April 7th 21, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,132
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On 7/4/21 2:09 pm, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my
wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and
snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a
9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one.
I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and
started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike.
The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable
Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a
trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take
out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it
out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that
I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in
the middle of a tour. I had a spare.


I guess when you've been riding the Di2 setup for the same time &
distance you'll be able to make a more reasonable comparison.

I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.

--
JS
  #3  
Old April 7th 21, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,334
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On 4/6/2021 9:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a 9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one. I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike. The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in the middle of a tour. I had a spare.


Usually when you have a spare of something you never break what it's the
spare for. On tours I'd have a fold-up spare tire, rim strips or tape,
shift cables, brake cables, spokes, and all the necessary tools. I used
them on other people's bikes most often. Back in the olden days even
small towns had a hardware store with some bike parts and you could fix
most anything good enough to keep going. I remember "Coast to Coast"
hardware stores along the Oregon coast. Perhaps because of the large
numbers of bike tourers they had a good selection of bike stuff.

Near my house, the old Long's drug store even sold Park Tools, along
with various bike parts including cables, chains, brake calipers, brake
pads, tires, tubes, and dynamo lights; when CVS took over that was the
end of that. Payless Drugs also had a lot of stuff until RiteAid bought
and wrecked them.
  #4  
Old April 7th 21, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 130
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 23:44:20 -0700,
sms wrote:
On 4/6/2021 9:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda --
with my wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the
next hill and snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great.
In the middle of a 9% grade, that turned at the top to another
climb, but a short one. I tacked a bit, got home and then
jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and started over. Heavier with
fenders, etc., but still a nice bike. The discs, BTW, don't
drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there
is a trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one
screw, take out the door and grab the broken cable and end.
No more fishing it out of the lever. This is the second time
in 20 years on STI that I've broken a cable. Before that I
broke a friction bar-end cable in the middle of a tour. I had
a spare.


Usually when you have a spare of something you never break what
it's the spare for.


That's certainly been my experience!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
  #5  
Old April 7th 21, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:18:58 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 7/4/21 2:09 pm, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my
wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and
snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a
9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one.
I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and
started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike.
The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable
Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a
trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take
out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it
out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that
I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in
the middle of a tour. I had a spare.

I guess when you've been riding the Di2 setup for the same time &
distance you'll be able to make a more reasonable comparison.

I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.


I have had the same experience as you. Plus with all of those damn gears you have to spend all of your time shifting and wearing every part out. I almost returned to my 9 speed Campy but couldn't find the shifters after all these years. I cabled my Eddy Merckx last night and installed the chain and respaced the front derailleur to fit the Compact crank. Got a date with the tax man at 9 and then will return and wrap the handlebar tape. I weighed it before the cables, pedals and chain and it was about 17.6 lbs. My Colnago is 19 lbs. so I shouldn't be overweight.
  #6  
Old April 7th 21, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,334
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On 4/6/2021 9:18 PM, James wrote:

snip

I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.


In college I was riding down a hill in the winter and both of my brake
cables snapped. But that was more than 30 years ago.

  #7  
Old April 7th 21, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,134
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On 4/7/2021 12:18 AM, James wrote:
On 7/4/21 2:09 pm, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my
wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and
snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11.* Great.* In the middle of a
9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one.
I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and
started over.* Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike.
The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable
Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a
trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take
out the door and grab the broken cable and end.* No more fishing it
out of the lever.


I hadn't heard about that. It sounds like a nice improvement.


This is the second time in 20 years on STI that
I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in
the middle of a tour.* I had a spare.


I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.


Do you replace them regularly? Could that be why?

My maintenance regime tends toward "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
That's probably what's caused me to break shift cables. And my
Cannondale touring bike requires an unusually long cable because I run
the cable from the bar end control under the handlebar tape. I've
learned to carry a spare.

But I've also learned to notice the first strands of the shift cable
breaking at the bar end control. They stick out and poke my finger, a
nice early warning system.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #8  
Old April 7th 21, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:56:35 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/6/2021 9:18 PM, James wrote:

snip
I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.

In college I was riding down a hill in the winter and both of my brake
cables snapped. But that was more than 30 years ago.

One can easily imagine what you were riding and it had nothing to do with stainless steel cables.
  #9  
Old April 7th 21, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,819
Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 1:44:24 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
I remember "Coast to Coast"
hardware stores along the Oregon coast. Perhaps because of the large
numbers of bike tourers they had a good selection of bike stuff.

I remember there was a Coast to Coast store in downtown Leavenworth, Kansas 40 years ago.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOLDERING CABLE ENDS (BARREL) ON STAINLESS STEEL CABLE [email protected] Techniques 5 August 5th 12 11:38 PM
Newbie Q: New Shifter and R Derailleur Cable Installed - Cable Stretch? Jay - BFri Commuter General 12 April 30th 07 11:59 PM
Converting a Brake Cable To a Shifter Cable Bret Cahill Techniques 42 March 8th 07 08:43 PM
Campagnolo rear derailleurs cable housing end cap CG-CS013. [email protected] Techniques 6 December 25th 05 01:00 AM
Nashbar Derailleur Cable Housings = Brake Cable Housings Mike Beauchamp Techniques 12 August 8th 04 05:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.