A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Crazy eBay offers



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 7th 21, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Crazy eBay offers

It isn't as if I am overcharging for my bikes on eBay. And boxing and sending them is a definite pain in the butt and now VERY EXPENSIVE. Especially compared to just a couple of years ago. Offers are mostly less than FRAMESETS are selling for on a Di2 equipped bike. To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance. Not to mention that absolute pain-in-the ass of having to move around a package that side by yourself. Yeah, it only weighs 26 lbs. but it is 56" long and 36" tall and 7" wide. I can just barely get it in the trunk of my car leaving the trunk lid open. Dumbass eBay wouldn't print the label for UPS on my last bike so I had to do everything myself. I wasted half a tank of gas doing everything this way. With a label I could have had it picked up at the dealer that packed the bike.
Ads
  #2  
Old April 8th 21, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,502
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 3:34:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It isn't as if I am overcharging for my bikes on eBay. And boxing and sending them is a definite pain in the butt and now VERY EXPENSIVE. Especially compared to just a couple of years ago. Offers are mostly less than FRAMESETS are selling for on a Di2 equipped bike. To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance. Not to mention that absolute pain-in-the ass of having to move around a package that side by yourself. Yeah, it only weighs 26 lbs. but it is 56" long and 36" tall and 7" wide. I can just barely get it in the trunk of my car leaving the trunk lid open. Dumbass eBay wouldn't print the label for UPS on my last bike so I had to do everything myself. I wasted half a tank of gas doing everything this way. With a label I could have had it picked up at the dealer that packed the bike.


So why are you doing this??

- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old April 8th 21, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 783
Default Crazy eBay offers

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 3:34:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It isn't as if I am overcharging for my bikes on eBay. And boxing and
sending them is a definite pain in the butt and now VERY EXPENSIVE.
Especially compared to just a couple of years ago. Offers are mostly
less than FRAMESETS are selling for on a Di2 equipped bike. To send a
bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with
packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance. Not to mention that
absolute pain-in-the ass of having to move around a package that side by
yourself. Yeah, it only weighs 26 lbs. but it is 56" long and 36" tall
and 7" wide. I can just barely get it in the trunk of my car leaving the
trunk lid open. Dumbass eBay wouldn't print the label for UPS on my last
bike so I had to do everything myself. I wasted half a tank of gas doing
everything this way. With a label I could have had it picked up at the
dealer that packed the bike.


So why are you doing this??

- Frank Krygowski


He’s making it up in volume???

  #4  
Old April 8th 21, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,334
Default Crazy eBay offers

On 4/7/2021 6:10 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:


snip

He’s making it up in volume???


A lot of people have inflated ideas about how much their used stuff
should sell for. I've seen some absurd used bicycle prices on craigslist
and Nextdoor. The sellers get annoyed when no one is willing to pay
their prices.

Some classic or specialty bicycles do fetch high prices. Old mixte-frame
bikes and Bromptons sell really well at high prices. When Burley
discontinued the Piccolo the used prices soared, then they brought it
back and used prices fell.

  #5  
Old April 8th 21, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,819
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:34:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance.


My shipping experience is limited to a very few times at the local UPS office and the US Post Office. And the prices always seem high for small boxes.. I'm guessing shipping costs are one reason Craig's List local sales saw growth in the past decade, at the expense of eBay. I have some specialized items I have considered selling. But maybe I am lucky in that they are a name brand item with dedicated sales forums on the internet. Shipping, local delivery may work out differently than with very large bicycle boxes sent across the USA.
  #6  
Old April 8th 21, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,819
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 10:26:18 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 4/7/2021 6:10 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:


snip
He’s making it up in volume???

A lot of people have inflated ideas about how much their used stuff
should sell for.


Ain't that the truth!

Which is one reason everyone loves farm auctions. Where a lifetime of possessions of an old farmer are sold off on a Saturday out in the country no matter what the weather. Rain, snow, cold, heat, wind, doesn't matter. The auction must go on. Some times, many times, you can get great bargains. Or spend way too much for junk you don't need. Which will then be sold at your auction.
  #7  
Old April 8th 21, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 6:07:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 3:34:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It isn't as if I am overcharging for my bikes on eBay. And boxing and sending them is a definite pain in the butt and now VERY EXPENSIVE. Especially compared to just a couple of years ago. Offers are mostly less than FRAMESETS are selling for on a Di2 equipped bike. To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance. Not to mention that absolute pain-in-the ass of having to move around a package that side by yourself. Yeah, it only weighs 26 lbs. but it is 56" long and 36" tall and 7" wide. I can just barely get it in the trunk of my car leaving the trunk lid open. Dumbass eBay wouldn't print the label for UPS on my last bike so I had to do everything myself.. I wasted half a tank of gas doing everything this way. With a label I could have had it picked up at the dealer that packed the bike.

So why are you doing this??

- Frank Krygowski

I'm doing it so that other people not as stupid as you can have a bike that they are proud of. One would think that as a supposed mechanical engineer that such things would be obvious to you. But as we can see from everyone of your postings, you are afraid of advanced technology and probably are still using downtube shifter.
  #8  
Old April 8th 21, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:14:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:34:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance.

My shipping experience is limited to a very few times at the local UPS office and the US Post Office. And the prices always seem high for small boxes. I'm guessing shipping costs are one reason Craig's List local sales saw growth in the past decade, at the expense of eBay. I have some specialized items I have considered selling. But maybe I am lucky in that they are a name brand item with dedicated sales forums on the internet. Shipping, local delivery may work out differently than with very large bicycle boxes sent across the USA.

The San Francisco bay area runs from Santa Rosa to Gilroy and from the Peninsula to Livermore This is about a quarter of the costal area of California.. I can advertise my stuff for the exact same prices and eventually it will sell and people might drive from Sacramento or Modesto to get it. So it isn't as if I overprice my stuff. Only someone like sms could say such things.. And you will notice that the types of bikes he is interested in he says are worth the prices they are asking. This is a pretty clear indication of why he lost his political office.

I listed my Emonda on eBay two days ago and I've already had two offers on it.
  #10  
Old April 8th 21, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,264
Default Crazy eBay offers

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:39:47 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/8/2021 7:14 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:34:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
To send a bike by ground transportation from Oakland to Washington DC is $400 with packing and shipping. This is WITHOUT insurance.


My shipping experience is limited to a very few times at the local UPS office and the US Post Office. And the prices always seem high for small boxes. I'm guessing shipping costs are one reason Craig's List local sales saw growth in the past decade, at the expense of eBay. I have some specialized items I have considered selling. But maybe I am lucky in that they are a name brand item with dedicated sales forums on the internet. Shipping, local delivery may work out differently than with very large bicycle boxes sent across the USA.

Mr Kunich's large frame size puts his cartons over 130
inches which bear an 'oversize' surcharge. Freight (and
postage) rates are climbing rapidly, but his is a special
case beyond that.


Thank you Andrew. The actual shipping would be $156 but the surcharge for the package size was an additional $174 and some change. The bike shop was sort of shocked when I told them about it since that same package costs them $70 from the factory.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LETTER - This cycling thing is a crazy idea. A crazy good one Simon Mason[_6_] UK 9 July 18th 20 05:17 PM
Bicycle-induced psychotropic effects, or Hey, that crazy dude really is crazy [email protected] Racing 7 February 8th 06 03:17 PM
Start Buying on eBay - eBay Shopping Tips & Tricks [email protected] Marketplace 1 January 15th 06 03:02 PM
Am I crazy like a fox, or just plain crazy? Brian Walker General 9 September 27th 05 05:54 AM
Decathlon offers John Hearns UK 7 July 14th 04 08:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.