Michelin Power Endurance Tires

Old October 24th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Michelin Power Endurance Tires

I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride on this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though some people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of flat-proof tires.
Old October 25th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-24 15:50, wrote:
I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride on
this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though some
people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the
Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be
personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on
them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and
showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real
long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a
Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of
flat-proof tires.

I used to be of that opinion as well but not anymore. The Gatorskin side
walls are too flimsy. I tried four. Two of them signed off prematurely
with side wall failures and a third had a side wall failure shortly
before end of life.

They do last 2500mi in hilly terrain with my weight and riding style but
what good does it do if a side walls fail before that mileage?

Still looking, haven't found a good tire yet. One that doesn't cost an
arm and a leg. So if a tire only lasts 1500mi I am not willing to pay
more than $20. The CST Conquistare I am using now has miserably short
life at 1000-1200mi. No TWI so you never know when it is closed to the
end. However, their side walls are good and they can be had for $15. IOW
per mile they cost about the same as Gatorskins though I hate to
subscribe to a throw-away mentality like that. Hence I'll keep looking.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 25th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 4:52:47 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-10-24 15:50, wrote:
[...]

Joerg, it isn't very fair blaming Continental for your very peculiar riding style.

I have NEVER had a sidewall failure on Gatorskins and that includes off-road riding my bike along the bay trails which includes long distances of gravel trail and some heavily rocky trail.

And I've been using Gatorskins since they came out.
Old October 25th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

My road bike is ridden normally. Yes, that include some gravel and the
occasional dirt road but that is something one has got to expect from
any roadworthy vehicle. I am not riding rocky singletrack with
Gatorskins, that's where I use my MTB instead which has much sturdier tires.

I would have never brought it up if I hadn't found lots of other with
the same problems:

https://www.bikeshophub.com/blog/201...in-tire-review

"Wayne Myer April 4, 2016 at 5:25 pm

I used to swear by the Gatorskins and had them on all of my bicycles.
And then I had some notable failures, always in the sidewall, with the
bead separating dramatically from the sidewall, often in less than 1000
miles"

End quote.

He describes almost verbatim what I have experienced.

I have NEVER had a sidewall failure on Gatorskins and that includes
off-road riding my bike along the bay trails which includes long
distances of gravel trail and some heavily rocky trail.

And I've been using Gatorskins since they came out.

Well, out here and in many other parts of the country their side walls
fail. Looking at the tires that isn't a surprise. The side walls are too
thin.

Meantime I have found tires that do not have this side wall issue but
don't last long enough. So, still looking. I was thinking about
ThickSlicks until you mentioned that the rubber layer sometimes
delaminates. That would be a show-stopper for me because we have lots of
debris on the roads. Bike paths don't but half of my miles have to be on
roads.

Old October 25th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

That was Tom that said that not me and I don't believe a word either of you say
Old October 25th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

And I also don't believe Jay's comment about the tire I recommended to you, the forte metro, in 25c, which doesn't exist anymore, and wish I remembered it for argument sake. Jay what did you say about this thing?

Old October 25th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

I responded to Tom. Whether you believe it or not I don't care.

Old October 25th 17, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

I find the sidewals on the Gatorskins a big

flimsy so be careful with bottle dynamos and don't take them offroad
much (I tend to do that with my road bike).

Stop taking them offroad. As I said before yes the conti sidewalls will suffer in the summer sun, but a little black gasket sealer will keep that at bay until you wear it out.

Old October 25th 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-24 15:50,
wrote:
[...]

Ah yes. When I arrive at a gravel section of road on my road bike I have
to say "I could continue in my car but bicycles are inferior so I have
to turn around and get my car". Great idea.

... As I said before yes the conti sidewalls
will suffer in the summer sun, but a little black gasket sealer will
keep that at bay until you wear it out.

I am not planning on having to correct mistakes a manufacturer made on
products that are expensive to begin with. Then I simply walk away from
the product, as I did here.

Old October 25th 17, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 3:50:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride on this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though some people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of flat-proof tires.

That's disappointing to hear. I don't think my Pro4 Endurance are that tough, but they are certainly more flat-proof than Pro4 Service Course. The version II of the Pro4 Endurance supposedly had lower rolling resistance than version I of the Service Course. The Endurance was a pretty fast tire. You have to wonder why they fooled with it. I don't think Gatorskins or 4Seasons have changed in ten years. Conti has not seen a need to constantly fiddle with them, although like Joerg said, they might want to re-think the sidewalls.

-- Jay Beattie.