need hill climbing advice

Old January 14th 09, 07:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Default need hill climbing advice

There's an idea here somewhere, for something in-between. Maybe using
velcro in some innovative way, or a different kind of clip-in mechanism
that works for uni. Hell maybe even a wireless device that unclips you
via a button on the handle.....Nothing is impossible. Let's all think!

--
munimutant
Old January 14th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

Velcro pedals! Yeah!

That sounds like fun. Has anyone tried it? Industrial velco has a
strong grip, so one could use little patches to get the desired
stickiness. Just like ski boots, they need to come off with a bit of
pressure.

OK, I would need flat plastic pedals, dedicated shoes and some rubber
cement to attach the velcro. Does anyone have suggestions for
appropriate (cheap) pedals? I would put the hooks on the pedal and the
fibers on the shoe soles.

--
scott ttocs
Old January 14th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

scott ttocs;1170437 wrote:
Velcro pedals! Yeah!

That sounds like fun. Has anyone tried it? Industrial velco has a
strong grip, so one could use little patches to get the desired
stickiness. Just like ski boots, they need to come off with a bit of
pressure.

OK, I would need flat plastic pedals, dedicated shoes and some rubber
cement to attach the velcro. Does anyone have suggestions for
appropriate (cheap) pedals? I would put the hooks on the pedal and the
fibers on the shoe soles.

I hope you are joking.

Sure velcro could keep your feet on the pedals but how would you get
them off in a hurry? what if you put your foot on the pedal at a weird
angle? Seems to me like you would want a predictable system that
securely fastens your foot to the pedal in an ideal position but can
also be safely reliably and quickly disengaged.

Our two wheeled counterparts have been working on the problem of
keeping the feet on the pedals for much longer than we have and their
current clipples pedals work quite well.

--
saskatchewanian
Old January 15th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

saskatchewanian;1170475 wrote:
Sure velcro could keep your feet on the pedals but how would you get
them off in a hurry? what if you put your foot on the pedal at a weird
angle? Seems to me like you would want a predictable system that
securely fastens your foot to the pedal in an ideal position but can
also be safely reliably and quickly disengaged.

Our two wheeled counterparts have been working on the problem of
keeping the feet on the pedals for much longer than we have and their
current clipples pedals work quite well.

Not velcro covering the entire pedal surface, I was just thinking of a
little patch, just enough to give you an extra bit of grip pushing over
the top of the pedal stroke. But regardless, I really just meant to
throw out a few ideas (silly as they may be) to get some group think
going. Sure, bicyclists have it nailed. I'm one of them, been riding
clipless for over 24 yrs. But what if we took PART of their technology
and adapted it for uni...... Some kind of "clipless light" system that
doesn't lock you in so well. I know you can loosen the bicycle clips, I
mean going beyond that. Something entirely new. I can't get this out of
my head because I know the enormous benefits clipless riding brings to
the bike world, and so many others feel the same. Maybe when Gizmo
finishes his T frame, starts manufacturing them and makes millions, he
could invest some in a uni clipless system

--
munimutant
Old January 15th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

You'd need either very flat bottomed shoes with no tread in, and a very
flat surface on the pedal, and some very very strong glue, or to use
velcro loops looped around the pedal.

Problem is though, that in order to have something strong enough to be
useful on pedals, you'd need to use pretty decent velcro, and it would
be hard to release in a crash - industrial type velcro is really quite
hard to detach (if you get the really strong stuff, it is hard to peel
off without sticking something between it to start it peeling).

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old January 15th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
catinabag1

who needs to unclip? tuck and roll baby!

--
catinabag1

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"

~ Steven Wright
Old January 15th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Velcro is exactly the wrong solution; the thing you can't do with velcro
is pull it directly up, which is what you want to do in a UPD. Even
twisting your foot probably wouldn't help.

I've thought of trying some kind of magnetic solution.

I rode SPDs on the Mount Diablo hill climb once. I definitely felt
like they could give me a significant advantage, but I didn't train with
them enough to really feel comfortable, so I think I was overly tense
while riding and didn't post a good time. (That's despite many years of
clipless riding on bikes).

Clipping in is actually a significant problem on the SPDs I was using,
which didn't have any platform; if I didn't get my foot in exactly the
right position on the mount, it was difficult to ride, adjust my foot,
and try to make the clip-in motion all at the same time. If I were to
do it again, I would probably go for a pedal like the Eggbeater Candy
SL, which is easier to clip in and out of, and also has a bit of a
platform to make riding easier until you clip in.

I think the idea that clipless lets you pull up on the backstroke is
mostly mythical. Whether you're clipless or not, all the important
force is provided by your downward stroke; clipless just makes that
stroke more efficient because you're not fighting to keep your feet in
optimal position.

--
tholub

need hill climbing advice since10 Unicycling 0 February 20th 07 05:33 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Route advice: CBD to Box Hill Tafe Euan Australia 6 April 12th 06 04:11 AM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM