Shimano freewheel, max coasting RPM?

Old July 18th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Default Shimano freewheel, max coasting RPM?

I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum
coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the
specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

Thanks.

Old July 18th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 18/07/2014 15:28, John Doe wrote:
I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum
coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the
specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

I can't see why there would be such a maximum specified. However 60mph
is about 700 rpm on a 700c wheel so they'll easily cope with that.

What speed are you thinking of?
Old July 18th 14, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/18/2014 10:57 AM, Clive George wrote:
On 18/07/2014 15:28, John Doe wrote:
I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum
coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the
specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

I can't see why there would be such a maximum specified. However 60mph
is about 700 rpm on a 700c wheel so they'll easily cope with that.

I've never disassembled that model of freewheel, but I've disassembled
several others. If the Shimano's design is similar to others, I can't
even visualize a likely mode of failure. Aside from bearings rolling,
the only action is the pawls reciprocating under the action of the tiny
pawl springs; and there's less of that motion the faster one coasts.

What speed are you thinking of?

I'd have thought 200 mph would cause no problems. What would cause a
failure?

If I were trying for a land speed record in the freewheel-equipped
bicycle class, I suppose I'd put the freewheel on a lathe and run it up
to a couple thousand rpm. But I suspect it would be a boring exercise.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 18th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

If you must know... I'm building a racing bike for a beloved and
unusually talented midget friend. The wheels are tiny but (in
spandex) he can pedal up to 2000 RPM.

Old July 18th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

John Doe wrote:

I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum

coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the

specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

I can't see why there would be such a maximum specified. However 60mph

is about 700 rpm on a 700c wheel so they'll easily cope with that.

What speed are you thinking of?

You should build him a fixie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 18th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/18/2014 11:32 AM, John Doe wrote:
If you must know... I'm building a racing bike for a beloved and
unusually talented midget friend. The wheels are tiny but (in
spandex) he can pedal up to 2000 RPM.

Something's not right, either a typo, an error or a falsehood.

I do not believe there is _anything_ a human can do at 2000
rpm= 33 times per second given tour standard issue nervous
system. Certainly not move a crank that fast.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 18th 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

AMuzi writes:

John Doe wrote:
I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum
coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the
specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

Clive George clive xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
I can't see why there would be such a maximum specified. However 60mph
is about 700 rpm on a 700c wheel so they'll easily cope with that.
What speed are you thinking of?

On 7/18/2014 11:32 AM, John Doe wrote:
If you must know... I'm building a racing bike for a beloved and
unusually talented midget friend. The wheels are tiny but (in
spandex) he can pedal up to 2000 RPM.

Something's not right, either a typo, an error or a falsehood.

I do not believe there is _anything_ a human can do at 2000 rpm= 33
times per second given tour standard issue nervous system. Certainly
not move a crank that fast.

He's concerned about the rpm of the wheel, not the crank.
Presumably it's a small diameter wheel.

--
Joe Riel
Old July 18th 14, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/18/2014 1:49 PM, AMuzi wrote:
John Doe wrote:
I just bought a Shimano SF-1200 freewheel. What is the maximum
coasting RPM for such a freewheel? If you don't know the
specification, can you give me a ballpark estimate?

Clive George clive xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
I can't see why there would be such a maximum specified. However 60mph
is about 700 rpm on a 700c wheel so they'll easily cope with that.
What speed are you thinking of?

On 7/18/2014 11:32 AM, John Doe wrote:
If you must know... I'm building a racing bike for a beloved and
unusually talented midget friend. The wheels are tiny but (in
spandex) he can pedal up to 2000 RPM.

Something's not right, either a typo, an error or a falsehood.

I do not believe there is _anything_ a human can do at 2000 rpm= 33
times per second given tour standard issue nervous system. Certainly not
move a crank that fast.

I think there are people who can post Usenet troll messages that fast.
We see them here. Always check the headers.

--
- Frank Krygowski