Wear a helmet...

Old June 11th 04, 09:01 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Wear a helmet...

....with eyes painted on the top

First mountain lions, now buzzards. Rich should take care as he nears the
end of his JOGLE.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3795303.stm

"""
Buzzard giving cyclists the bird

An angry buzzard is being blamed for a spate of attacks on cyclists in
Devon.

In one incident, the bird struck a rider on the back of the head as she
pedalled on the A3072 at Stapleton Corner near Holsworthy.

Experts believe the buzzard - which can weigh up to 1kg and have a
one-metre wingspan - may be protecting a nest.

Emma Parkin, from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, said
painting large eye shapes on cycling helmets may repel the bird.

Ms Parkin said: "They are beautiful birds and are very common in Devon.

"They are normally very timid, but this one appears to have lost its fear
of man and clearly must have a nest close by which it is protecting."

Linda Johnston, a member of the Devon branch of the Cyclists' Touring
Club, was cycling the route on Wednesday evening when she was struck on
the back of the head by the buzzard.

She said: "After it hit me I could see it hovering and thought it was
going to come back, so I speeded up and got away as quick as I could.

"It really did hurt and gave me a fright.

"It is quite dangerous, it could make someone lose their balance and fall
off ".

A local cycling club is due to carry out a time trial on the route on
Sunday morning and the Ruby Run 2004, a half marathon from Hatherleigh to
Holsworthy, will take place on Sunday with up to 200 runners and walkers
expected.

One of the race organisers, Roy Smith, said the buzzard appeared to be
targeting cyclists rather than runners.

He said: "It's hard to know what to do, I don't think we should cancel the
event but we will warn people to watch out for it.

"But it does seem to be avoiding people on two legs and going for those on
two wheels.

"Bill Oddie is in the vicinity at the moment, perhaps we should ask him
what to do about it."
"""
Old June 11th 04, 10:58 AM
JohnB

Colin Blackburn wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3795303.stm

"""
Buzzard giving cyclists the bird

An angry buzzard is being blamed for a spate of attacks on cyclists in
Devon.

snip
"But it does seem to be avoiding people on two legs and going for those on
two wheels.

"Bill Oddie is in the vicinity at the moment, perhaps we should ask him
what to do about it."

Clearly the answer is to ride a trike :-)

Or have a leg amputated :-(

John B
Old June 11th 04, 06:19 PM
MartinM

JohnB wrote in message ...
Colin Blackburn wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3795303.stm

"""
Buzzard giving cyclists the bird

An angry buzzard is being blamed for a spate of attacks on cyclists in
Devon.

snip
"But it does seem to be avoiding people on two legs and going for those on
two wheels.

"Bill Oddie is in the vicinity at the moment, perhaps we should ask him
what to do about it."

Clearly the answer is to ride a trike :-)

Or have a leg amputated :-(

John B

and there's more! from the same site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3534729.stm