Highways, herons and harmonicas

Old August 16th 05, 07:20 PM
goldenchicken II

Default Highways, herons and harmonicas

Naomi wrote:
*
Is there a problem with "wireless"?*

I like the word. It is very graphic and self-explaining. Especially if
you compare it to the French word for radio: TSF - which I believe also
to be obsolete.

Why, I even made a wireless the villain of a comic 'jam!'
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/62704288@N00/22455813/)

--
goldenchicken II - There is more to cycling

Olaf Johansson

www.enhjulingsfolket.se
www.muni.se
goldenchicken II's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10248

Old August 18th 05, 12:00 AM
MattPH

Mikefule wrote:
*First day back at work after my holiday, and not a good one. It
turns out I am indispensable after all - always a mistake.

*

I'm sure your talents are wasted there, I think you should go on coker
tours of the country and write books about them. Have you ever thought
about becoming an author?

--
MattPH - Muni Hungry

You do WHAT on it?
MattPH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8467

Old August 21st 05, 06:02 PM
Danny Colyer

Mikefule wrote:
Here's a photo taken at the Marina during the beer stop.

| Attachment filename: beestonmarina.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/348751|

Aww, and I was hoping for a picture of those kids drinking pop. I must
try their ingenious technique sometime, but obviously not when my own
kids are watching.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old August 21st 05, 10:43 PM
vanman2004

goldenchicken II wrote:
*I like the word. It is very graphic and self-explaining. Especially
if you compare it to the French word for radio: TSF - which I believe
also to be obsolete.

Why, I even made a wireless the villain of a comic 'jam!'
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/62704288@N00/22455813/) *

I think wireless is just about the least descriptive word in existance.
When you call something wireless, all that you are saying that that
there are no wires.

Lots of things don't have wires. The peach I'm eating has no wires. My
dog, too, is wireless.

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

Old August 21st 05, 10:53 PM
Mikefule

vanman2004 wrote:
*
Lots of things don't have wires. The peach I'm eating has no wires. My
dog, too, is wireless. *

Chortle

As a kid, I wondered why my grandad's "wireless" was called a "wireless"
when I could clearly see that it was plugged in to the mains with a plug
on a length of wire!

For those younger readers who don't understand the word:

The first electronic communications were "telegraph" ("tele" meaning
far, or long distance (as in telescope, teleological, television) and
"graph" as in writing (graphology, etc.)). The signal went alng wires
which often ran alongside railway tracks. (US = "railroad")

When radio was introduced, it was called "wireless telegraph" to
differentiate it from ordinary telegraph that went along telegraph
wires.

Telegraph was originally by morse code - a system of beeps or taps to
represent letters of the alphabet. As it became more common to transmit
sound (telephone) the term "wireless telegraph" evolved into "wireless"
- which is, as Vanman2004 pointed out, a singularly undescriptive
term.

Language is like that. How far would you see through a pair of
telescopic forks?

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/

Old August 21st 05, 11:30 PM
s7ev0

Lovely write up, as usual, Mikefule. MattPH is right, there is at least
a "collected works" worth in your postings, surely?

BTW, I'm intrigued by your new avatar. Were Kropotkin, Bakunin et al
unicyclists? Must look through my old pamphlets to see if I missed
something...

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

Friends see me on my unicycle and mention "mid-life crisis". I had
never really appreciated how close the terms "crisis" and "fun" are.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old August 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
Mikefule

s7ev0 wrote:
*
BTW, I'm intrigued by your new avatar. Were Kropotkin, Bakunin et al
unicyclists? Must look through my old pamphlets to see if I missed
something... *

Hmmmm. Leading anarchists... I was thinking more along the lines of
Lydon and Vicious. That and a midlife crisis and I was sitting at the
computer bored.

Old August 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
s7ev0

In any case, it's a fine avatar.

And if anyone's having a midlife crisis, I always recommend learning to
ride a unicy.... oh.

--
s7ev0 - woooaaaah!

Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old August 22nd 05, 09:37 PM
mucRider

s7ev0 wrote:
*And if anyone's having a midlife crisis, I always recommend learning
to ride a unicy.... oh. *

That's how I got started. Right after I turned 50-years-old I went out
and bought my first unicycle. It was a lot cheaper than a bright red
convertable Italian sports car.

--
mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

** Protect the Valle Vidal **

It is wise to invest in your happiness. - Harper
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119