Mark Hickey

Old May 21st 04, 11:03 AM
Mark South

Default Mark Hickey

"Jonathan Quist" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:06:11 -0400, Rick Onanian

sniped unforgivably:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:20:32 GMT, carlfogel
wrote:
Please, in the future try to use the traditional phrase, not briefer and
less hyperbolic substitutes.
As has been discussed, you should have said:
"I don't believe a word of it."

I don't believe you.

Dear Rick,

That kind of red herring won't fly! It's a lie of the . . .

[Pause to count on fingers.]

Third--

[Recount in defiance of the Supreme Court.]

No, fourth kind!

As Eisenhower's future in-laws suggested when he asked what to make
of Mamie:

Bride, Ike!

Jobstfully,

Carl Fogel

Okay, at risk of taking this thread off-topic, I gotta ask: fourth
kind of lie?

The three I know of a

1. Fabricate a complete and total untruth.
2. Tell the truth, but leave out enough critical facts to obscure the
truth.
3. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but make
it sound so ridiculous as to be totally unbelievable.

(I didn't come up with these myself, but paraphrasically plagarized
them from R. Heinlein, I think...)

It's sad when things have gotten so bad that people can't be bothered to
plagiarise painstakingly anymore....:-)

Old May 21st 04, 11:15 AM
Adam Rush

Mark are you still around?

I think so.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Are there any US/European importers of Flying Pigeon or other Mainland
brands? Also, do you know where one can browse their selection
online?

Old May 21st 04, 06:16 PM

wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Quist

Dear Jonathan,

My superior [modest cough] understanding of the
sub-classification of dishonesty is not, as some might argue,
derived from mere practical experience or natural talent.

It's simply a matter of having a more extensive and imaginary
reference library than most people who post on this newsgroup.

See chapter LXII of "Roughing It" for Twain's example of the
advantages of careful citation:

http://www.gutenberg.net/etext02/mtrit11.txt

(You can find the chapter by searching for "LXII" or "Ajax".)

Anyway, the newly updated and extended list of lie-types can be
found in a work that I cited recently in a technical discussion
of Fury RoadMaster thumb-shifter maintenance:

"I considered posting a plea for advice, but feared that
Sheldon Brown, famed for his short tempered unwillingness
to suffer fools gladly, might lecture me severely. . . ."

"Luckily, I have a pre-publication copy of Jobst Brandt's
'The Left-Hand Thumb Shifter' (Huffy Press, 12th edition,
2005, $49.95). It counseled pre-tensioning the triple-ring
shifter by rotating its honkin' big cross-head screw clockwise
'until the handlebar begins to yield locally.'"

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

The twelfth edition contains an appendix listing the ten kinds of
lies, with examples drawn exclusively from the efforts of the
pathological liars of rec.bicycles.tech.

An errata slip conscientously corrects the explanation of
lie-type #9.d, pointing out that although in posts concerning
anodizing even the punctuation may be deceptive, the apostrophes
are usually just honest mistakes intended to warn the reader than
an "s" is imminent and should not be considered intentionally
misleading blasphemy.

The woodcuts alone are worth the price.

See #1 about fabrication in your well-paraphrased list.

Or maybe #3 about making things ridiculous.

Hmmm . . . 1 + 3 = ?

Carl Fogel