Anatomy of A Cancellara Attack

Old June 3rd 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

Default Anatomy of A Cancellara Attack

Last evening, I spent some time re-watching 2010 Paris Roubaix clips.
My focus was upon the attack from Cancellara with 48k to go. To me,
there were three segments to this attack :

1) At 55K remaining, there were a lead group of 40 favorites at the
front. They included Tom Boonen (Quick Step), Fabian Cancellara (Saxo
Bank), Filippo Pozzato (Katusha), Adam Hansen (HTC-Columbia), George
Hincapie (BMC Racing Team), Leif Hoste (Omega Pharma-Lotto) etc.

2) In the next 2 or 3K, the group splintered. Leif Hoste, Björn
Leukemans, Frederic Guesdon and Sébastien Hinault pushed to the front.

3) At 49 K to go, Fabian Cancellara surged ahead from the bunch to
join the four leaders. In a few seconds, he took one sideways look
behind him, saw that the title defender Boonen had decided not to mark
him down. Bad move from the Belgian champion. Fabian was then gone and
the rest is history.

The jump Fabian put forth was strong and decisive. To most of us,
watching the surge (see video below) may seem almost like, well, like
he had a motor somewhere on the bike. How on earth can he pull away so
quick, right? Well the Italians asked that hard question and came up
with the answer - 'Oh mio dio, he has a motor on his bike!'

But regardless of whether he used a motor or not, can we dissect this
attack and see its parts to get a perspective of what's happening? I
think we could.

Read more of the analysis on my blog : http://bit.ly/bA12ls

-Ron
www.twitter.com/cyclingbee
Old June 3rd 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jun 4, 2:47*am, bicycle_disciple wrote:
[...]

At 49km to go Boonen took a rest. He had been throwing a lot at the
pointy end of the race. The others except Cancellara took a rest as
well. Can anyone guess how fast they were going at that point? They
probably all felt a bit tired and slowed at the point Cancellara's
brain saw the opportunity to attack. He went, they all looked at each
other, bye bye. If they slowed to 40 km/h and he accelerated at the
same time to 55+km/h, that's a perfect launchpad for a man with his
capabilities. A classic counter move. It was beautiful, but not that
incredulous that he must have needed a motor. Anyone who's raced
would know this.

JS.
Old June 3rd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 3 June, 23:12, James wrote:
[...]

-Geographically the attack was correct, the road following was rough
and narrow so anyone behind jockeying for position would lose time.
It actually looked pretty obvious that Cancellara was discontented
where he was in the middle of the group and should have been no
surprise that he'd shoot off the front. I dont find the acceleration
extraordinary, just that there was no-one on his tail. He probably
just got ****ed off with how slow everything was, felt good, so went
hard. The other explanation does not involve motor asssist, but race
rigging.
Old June 3rd 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
z, fred

James wrote:
[...]

The other thing is that Cancellara's DS who was right behind the bunch,
radioed Cancellara that he needed to attack right then because Boonen
was at the back of the group.
Old June 4th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On Jun 3, 3:12*pm, James wrote:
[...]

As much as the 'motor' might be a jest, it isn't really about race
tactics, although there's no doubt that was well-timed. It's really
about how effortless Cancellara made the attack look. The guy just
took off without even getting off the saddle. It's even more
incredible that he later dropped Leukemans (he couldn't even keep up
and waved his arm in frustration when he got dropped). BTW Leukemans
got suspended a few years earlier for doping with artificial
testosterone.

That combined with the Flanders Muur footage makes Cancellara look
like superman/terminator.

Old June 4th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 3 June, 23:45, "z, fred" wrote:
James wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:47 am, bicycle_disciple wrote:
Last evening, I spent some time re-watching 2010 Paris Roubaix clips.
My focus was upon the attack from Cancellara with 48k to go. To me,
there were three segments to this attack :

1) At 55K remaining, there were a lead group of 40 favorites at the
front. They included Tom Boonen (Quick Step), Fabian Cancellara (Saxo
Bank), Filippo Pozzato (Katusha), Adam Hansen (HTC-Columbia), George
Hincapie (BMC Racing Team), Leif Hoste (Omega Pharma-Lotto) etc.

2) In the next 2 or 3K, the group splintered. Leif Hoste, Bj rn
Leukemans, Frederic Guesdon and S bastien Hinault pushed to the front.

[...]

That's a nice way of puttin it.
Old June 4th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
z, fred

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis...roubaix-attack

Old June 4th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

On Jun 3, 6:12*pm, James wrote:
[...]

My calculations in the link suggest approx 1200 Watts. http://bit.ly/bA12ls

It was a decisive move, and the objective was to widen the gap as
quickly as possible. The idea of using of motor is still up in the
air, with Chris Boardman coming out an saying earlier today that there
is a high potential among teams to use today's miniature F1 "boosting"
technologies. On the surface, you think this man would have actually
seen 'em with his eyes. The cycling news article says that he's
theorizing its existence. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boar...of-bike-doping.

-Ron
www.twitter.com/cyclingbee
Old June 4th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

On Jun 3, 6:12*pm, James wrote:
[...]

attack-caught-chase-attack-caught-chase-attack-win! (Amstel Gold) Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 18 April 21st 10 09:39 PM
Avoiding patching a tube (anatomy of a flat) dgk General 13 May 4th 09 01:43 PM
gray's anatomy [email protected] General 25 April 15th 05 04:07 PM
anatomy problem steve m Australia 8 February 1st 05 07:11 PM
Anatomy of a Bike Burning_Ranger UK 2 July 18th 04 03:43 PM