Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

Old April 14th 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 9:06:40 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:22:06 +1000, James
wrote:

On 13/04/15 08:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2015 3:48 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

A few years ago a number of bicyclist in a group ride on Victoria
Island (iirc) got very sick and had to go to hospital because they
rode through some water that'd come from a farm. The spray onto their
water bottles carried the bacteria (E-coli iirc) into their bodies
when they drank the water.

Wow. Good reason to use fenders.

Yes! DANGER! DANGER!

When my wife, daughter and I did a bike tour of Ireland, we were in
Killarney, cruising around the national park. There were plenty of
sheep about, plus horse-drawn carriage rides for the tourists. And it
was raining. (Of _course_ it was raining! It was Ireland!)

Anyway, the various animal droppings plus the rain covered the roads in
a rich organic soup. We were _really_ glad we had fenders.

It's only a matter of time before fenders (mud guards) are made
mandatory to protect us from bacteria getting to our drink bottles.

If just one life can be saved (insert wringing hands...)

I shudder to think of the bacteria that is probably alive and well in my
foam hat right now. I could die if I scratched my scalp and put my
helmet on!

Apparently there are multitudes of bacteria already in the Human gut.
and E. coli is a consistent resident of the small intestine.

from:
http://www.livescience.com/3092-huma...a-thought.html
"In sheer numbers, the mammalian colon harbors one of the densest
microbial communities found on Earth. For every human cell in your
body, there are roughly 10 single-celled microbes, most of which live
in your digestive tract."
--
Cheers,

John B.

advice from Tieland
Old April 14th 15, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 2:23:29 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 8:11:35 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2015 3:48 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

A few years ago a number of bicyclist in a group ride on Victoria
Island (iirc) got very sick and had to go to hospital because they
rode through some water that'd come from a farm. The spray onto their
water bottles carried the bacteria (E-coli iirc) into their bodies
when they drank the water.

Wow. Good reason to use fenders.

When my wife, daughter and I did a bike tour of Ireland, we were in
Killarney, cruising around the national park. There were plenty of sheep
about, plus horse-drawn carriage rides for the tourists. And it was
raining. (Of _course_ it was raining! It was Ireland!)

Anyway, the various animal droppings plus the rain covered the roads in a
rich organic soup. We were _really_ glad we had fenders.

I really like the Powerade bottles that they sell in Canada. There's a top
cap that flips on and off, which covers the "nipple". Very efficient at
keeping road crud away from your lips.

PS: The stuff that comes stock inside the bottle is swill. I pour it down
the sink and then refill the bottle with water and go ride.

I also buy Powerade for the bottles. I like that the flip cap has a flat spoy opposite the 'hinge' part. The Powerade itself isn't so great and often has a unpleasant after tast for me.

I just wish they hadn't changed the neck size of their smaller bottles because the caps from the big bottles used to fit tthe smaller ones but not any more.

Cheers

advice from Canada
Old April 14th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:13:09 AM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message ...
On 4/12/2015 5:06 PM, Graham wrote:

[snip]

If you want to show how wrong I am in deriding cyclists who don't
conform to my view of what cycling's about, you'd be better off doing it
in direct response to such a statement. As it is, it looks to me like
you're reacting to imaginary statements, or at least very poorly
remembered ones.

Come off it Frank this is just another one of your demeaning tactics. After all these years of posting here have not the reactions of a large cross section of responders to your comments got through to you. I have said this before, you seem to be insensitive to the tone of your posts. If you cannot or will not see it then so be it. I will leave it to others to form and/or voice their own opinions.

Graham.

---

Frank is needling
Old April 14th 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Cheers Cheers Cheers

mmm I hav never involved in a an accident that was my fault

I have never had a serious one car accident

I have one speeding ticket 45 in a 35 zone which as bogus

ditto the other 2 minor violations

right Andrew ?
Old April 14th 15, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:43:28 -0700 (PDT), Mike A Schwab
wrote:

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 10:49:35 PM UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:55:15 -0400, Frank Krygowski

That seems to be a fact whose implications are still being deciphered
by the medical community. We're not just an animal; we're an
ecosystem.

Indeed and that infrastructure seems to have a profound influence on our
individual functioning. There is some pretty preliminary research
linking gut flora problems with things like depression (as the primary
precursor molecule for serotonin is produced by bacteria in our guts,
for example) as well as less surprising illness like irritable bowel
syndrome, ulcerative colitis, C. difficile, etc. It may be possible to
prevent or treat a number of diseases through dealing with bowel
organisms. Preventing disease is most often the most cost effective
approach.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Gives examples of many patients whose health improved by avoiding Grains and Carbohydrates. The current U.S. Wheat seems to cause much of the problem, Dairy is significant, and other sugars do contribute to problems. Since WW2 when the U.S. used radiation to create mutations then selecting for yield and stickiness (gluten) without concern for the healthiness of the grain.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/1...quick-dirty-2/ gives a list of foods to avoid, limit, and eat freely. If you adhere strickly to the diet you may convert to Ketosis metabolism. If you have Diabetes, your body may not limit the production of Ketones and go into Diabetic Ketoacidosis.

The problem with those sort of warnings is that whole societies
are/were based on eating grains. In fact the growing of grain is
generally assumed to be the determining factor in the change from a
hunter-gatherer society to the growth of towns and cities, and even
today nearly all of Asia depends primarily on grains for their major
source of nutrition.

As for radiation in developing new strains of wheat, I have little
knowledge of that, however I do know a bit about the development of
new strains of rice and that was primarily by selective breeding not
radiation. Norman Borlaug who is largely credited as being the major
mover in developing improved strains of wheat and his early work was
certainly done before 1945 which would appear to precede the use of
radiation.

It might also be interesting to know that the selective breeding of
cereal grains has been going on since at least 1000 A.D. in China and
likely in other places.
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...er95%20(3).pdf
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 14th 15, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John B.

my body ached at 6 miles. Internet advice said STOP EATING RED MEAT

why not ? I stopped eating red meat

in 2 weeks my body stopped aching after six miles and in 3-4 weeks had gone on to running 13 a half marathon
Old April 14th 15, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/13/2015 8:39 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

While I don't dispute what you say it would seem unlikely at best, as
a general statement since certainly drinking contaminated water is
considered the primary way of contracting Typhoid, Hepatitis A, or
quite a number of other diseases.

There's a lot that I don't understand about the "bad water" situation.
But then, I'm not a physician nor a biologist.

Example: Guardiasis ("beaver fever") is something you definitely don't
want. A backpacker should never travel without a water filter. But
when we did our backpacking back in the early 1970s, AFAIK there were no
camping water filters. And there certainly were none for the early fur
trappers, or the native Americans. How did they avoid guardiasis?

Example: Supposedly, Americans should not drink the water in Mexico,
nor even accept drinks with ice cubes in them. But obviously, the
Mexicans drink the water and do quite well. Have they just built up
immunity?

And about Mexicans: Not long ago I read an article claiming to tell us
what advice other countries give to their citizens who are visiting
America. Supposedly, the Mexican government urges its citizens not to
drink American water. I thought ours was generally thought to be among
the cleanest in the world. Was the article wrong? Is it just what you
get used to?

Note, I don't deny typhoid, guardiasis and many other problems are
caused by bad water. I'm just wondering about details.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 14th 15, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:55:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

A backpacker should never travel without a water filter.

Boiling is more reliable, if you have plenty of firewood -- or plenty
of fuel for your stove.

There's a reason the characters in Jack London's stories were always
drinking tea.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
Old April 14th 15, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I should start selling the empty bottles on eBay for $5 a piece to
Americans.

Radial Spoking Pattern? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 13 October 18th 12 02:16 AM
Tied and--er . . . [email protected] Techniques 2 January 23rd 11 03:23 PM
tied for Bronze --D-y Racing 4 October 5th 10 12:21 PM
spoking a bike rim [email protected] Techniques 5 May 8th 07 03:35 AM
WalMart Spoking! [email protected] Techniques 9 February 24th 05 09:55 PM