Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

Old April 14th 15, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:55:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/13/2015 8:39 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

While I don't dispute what you say it would seem unlikely at best, as
a general statement since certainly drinking contaminated water is
considered the primary way of contracting Typhoid, Hepatitis A, or
quite a number of other diseases.

There's a lot that I don't understand about the "bad water" situation.
But then, I'm not a physician nor a biologist.

Example: Guardiasis ("beaver fever") is something you definitely don't
want. A backpacker should never travel without a water filter. But
when we did our backpacking back in the early 1970s, AFAIK there were no
camping water filters. And there certainly were none for the early fur
trappers, or the native Americans. How did they avoid guardiasis?

Example: Supposedly, Americans should not drink the water in Mexico,
nor even accept drinks with ice cubes in them. But obviously, the
Mexicans drink the water and do quite well. Have they just built up
immunity?

Part of the problem is that one "gets used to" the water in a locale
and when you move the water is different and it bothers you for a bit.
I spent 20 years in the Air force and while States Side moved on the
average of once a year. Invariably, when you arrived at your new
station you had a few days of the "trots". The kids would all catch
the "flu" too. Sniffles and nose dripping for a few days, and then no
more till the next move.

And about Mexicans: Not long ago I read an article claiming to tell us
what advice other countries give to their citizens who are visiting
America. Supposedly, the Mexican government urges its citizens not to
drink American water. I thought ours was generally thought to be among
the cleanest in the world. Was the article wrong? Is it just what you
get used to?

Note, I don't deny typhoid, guardiasis and many other problems are
caused by bad water. I'm just wondering about details.

During one of my assignments, in Texas, I was stationed with some
French Air Force troops and they all had mild diarrhea and they blamed
it on the water. They said that the doctor told them that "they'd get
used to it in a while", and I guess they did as we were with them for
several months and after the first week, or so, they didn't complain
any more.

By the way, I worked with a consultant who spent a year in India. said
that he drank the local water with no problems and was told when he
came back to the states that he was luck he didn't die.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 14th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 8:40:58 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/13/2015 7:59 PM, wrote:
Cheers Cheers Cheers

mmm I hav never involved in a an accident that was my fault

I have never had a serious one car accident

I have one speeding ticket 45 in a 35 zone which as bogus

ditto the other 2 minor violations

right Andrew ?

My experiences are very different. You're not trying hard
enough, apparently.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

accidents happen close to home ( and to whom ?) Canadians are frozen so we'' let those stats slide

sand is a culprit, wet leaves

driving environment..I have a 50 year car caws I lived in relatively safe driving areas..

good example...I'll get the map out but remember Military Trail and Okechobee

http://goo.gl/qrlTLz

I was there for a coupla years earning $$$ to escape to FL with lung infection.

The Heights is a $$$ bedroom community for Wall Street, Ferrari is based there. Settled by the Dutch.

After summer thunderstorms...every linear block sported 2-3 smashed cars (X4)

lack of necessary concentration....not adequate driving skills...just simple turn and brake nothing fancy

with a bike examining the road surface while countersteering, front rear balance and brake/front tire adhesion with rear brake balance...where's the weak area ? road surface and front wheel/brake ?

I can drive with safety up near a ton on the snow or come down the mtn with the van going deep then pivoting the center as we pass thru turn center and out...

or emergency turn/ brake n bring the back around in line...

Averaging out the close ones, maybe 1-2 a year not happening at this level.

with the bike, sand is a bitch but I was deliberately run down and seriously injured, once road thru ponded water into a construction cement crack throwing me down almost breaking a wrist happened so fast.

Remember my gong on abt high school gm classes with jumping over the bag n rolling on a mat exercises ? There should be a bike video on this...those rolling at speed skills are primo with bike crashes

Then I have several Isle of Man asphalt excursions so we are lucky to boot.

But I try not to get in over my head.

TAXI ?

ask yourself what your top ends are ?
Old April 14th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 4/13/2015 8:39 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

While I don't dispute what you say it would seem unlikely at best, as
a general statement since certainly drinking contaminated water is
considered the primary way of contracting Typhoid, Hepatitis A, or
quite a number of other diseases.

There's a lot that I don't understand about the "bad water"
situation. But then, I'm not a physician nor a biologist.

Example: Guardiasis ("beaver fever") is something you definitely
don't want. A backpacker should never travel without a water filter.
But when we did our backpacking back in the early 1970s, AFAIK there
were no camping water filters. And there certainly were none for the
early fur trappers, or the native Americans. How did they avoid
guardiasis?

Same way they avoided malaria, or yellow fever? Which is to say they
often didn't, and just lived (or not) with the symptoms.

Millions today avoid malaria, bilharzia, Chagas disease &c in much the
same way. They survive, but at a cost in quality of life and economic
well being.

Example: Supposedly, Americans should not drink the water in Mexico,
nor even accept drinks with ice cubes in them. But obviously, the
Mexicans drink the water and do quite well. Have they just built up
immunity?

And about Mexicans: Not long ago I read an article claiming to tell
us what advice other countries give to their citizens who are visiting
America. Supposedly, the Mexican government urges its citizens not to
drink American water. I thought ours was generally thought to be
among the cleanest in the world. Was the article wrong? Is it just
what you get used to?

I never had a problem drinking tap water in Mexico, but have talked with
Mexicans who reported getting sick from the water in the US. Thinking
back, I'm not at all sure how they fingered the water, rather than the
food.

Ice cubes are frequently filthy almost anywhere.

Old April 14th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 4:22:11 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 13/04/15 08:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2015 3:48 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

A few years ago a number of bicyclist in a group ride on Victoria

Island (iirc) got very sick and had to go to hospital because they
rode through some water that'd come from a farm. The spray onto their
water bottles carried the bacteria (E-coli iirc) into their bodies
when they drank the water.

Wow. Good reason to use fenders.

Yes! DANGER! DANGER!

When my wife, daughter and I did a bike tour of Ireland, we were in
Killarney, cruising around the national park. There were plenty of
sheep about, plus horse-drawn carriage rides for the tourists. And it
was raining. (Of _course_ it was raining! It was Ireland!)

Anyway, the various animal droppings plus the rain covered the roads in
a rich organic soup. We were _really_ glad we had fenders.

It's only a matter of time before fenders (mud guards) are made
mandatory to protect us from bacteria getting to our drink bottles.

I wish they were mandatory around here -- along with mud flaps. I'm sick of getting sprayed in the face by the guy ahead of me on the way to work. I got stuck behind a guy this morning who had one of those nominal fender-things that sticks to the seat post. I think he had tires that doubled as paddle wheels.

I have full fenders on my commuting bike, which is not only nice for me, it's nice for the guy behind me -- particularly in high goose/pigeon-**** areas. http://tinyurl.com/p7pacm9

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 15th 15, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Around here bat **** is a problem.

http://access.health.qld.gov.au/hid/...nhealth_is.asp

--
JS

Old April 15th 15, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/14/2015 4:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 4:22:11 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

It's only a matter of time before fenders (mud guards) are made
mandatory to protect us from bacteria getting to our drink bottles.

I wish they were mandatory around here -- along with mud flaps. I'm sick

of getting sprayed in the face by the guy ahead of me on the way to work.
I got stuck behind a guy this morning who had one of those nominal
fender-things
that sticks to the seat post. I think he had tires that doubled as
paddle wheels.

I remember Jobst claiming that if you used slick tires, you don't need
fenders; that it's the tire tread that slings stuff around.

I still doubt that. I still like fenders on (almost) every bike, slicks
or no.

I have full fenders on my commuting bike, which is not only nice for me,

it's nice for the guy behind me -- particularly in high goose/pigeon-****
areas. http://tinyurl.com/p7pacm9

Heh. Last year our big wooded metropark did a Canada goose cull,
eliminating about 200 of the poop machines. The "letters to the editor"
section overflowed with outrage for weeks.

Personally, I can't see why those birds are still protected.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 15th 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

up to page 5 no research or stats on potentials for infections recumbents vs regular frames

Old April 15th 15, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:16:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

It is my understanding that town parks are, to some extent, a residue?
descendent? of the original "Town Common" - an area, owned "in common"
by the town where residents could pasture animals. Geese are probably
preferable to Cows :-)

Personally, I can't see why those birds are still protected.

If a town/city decides to massacre the pigeons that are crapping on
statues and people the local newspapers usually get the same response
although "pigeon pie" is considered a delicacy in many places.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 15th 15, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 4/12/2015 4:06 PM, Graham wrote:
In the whole of my cycling life time (50 years) I have had two crashes with motor vehicles which both led to serious injuries one of which I carry to this day and another in which I hit a child running out from between parked cars. None of these I would contend were my fault.

Almost every collision involving a child is the fault of the child,
except in the eyes of a bleeding heart juror.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old April 15th 15, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 4/12/2015 5:13 PM, Duane wrote:

Can I use that last bit as a tag line?

If you want, but I do not understand why.

--
T0m $herm@n

Radial Spoking Pattern? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 13 October 18th 12 02:16 AM
Tied and--er . . . [email protected] Techniques 2 January 23rd 11 03:23 PM
tied for Bronze --D-y Racing 4 October 5th 10 12:21 PM
spoking a bike rim [email protected] Techniques 5 May 8th 07 03:35 AM
WalMart Spoking! [email protected] Techniques 9 February 24th 05 09:55 PM