Pedal suggestions, please.

Old March 21st 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

Default Pedal suggestions, please.

I haven't bought a flat pedal in decades and could benefit from some experience.
UPS is bringing a single speed IRO cross frame I'll be setting up with mustache
bars for mild trails and bad roads and otherwise having fun. Clips and straps
make sense unless I race it and that I'm equipped for that.

So, what's a good, solid, nonexpensive, non-boat-achor pedal nowadays?

Ron
I'm sure Christophe will still have straps for me,
So, what'd you expect from a tiger.
Old March 21st 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 21, 9:06 am, Phil B wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:07 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Mar 20, 9:19 pm, A Muzi wrote:

wrote:
I haven't bought a flat pedal in decades and could benefit from some experience.
UPS is bringing a single speed IRO cross frame I'll be setting up with mustache
bars for mild trails and bad roads and otherwise having fun. Clips and straps
make sense unless I race it and that I'm equipped for that.
So, what's a good, solid, nonexpensive, non-boat-achor pedal nowadays?
Ron
I'm sure Christophe will still have straps for me,
So, what'd you expect from a tiger.

MKS Sylvan in Road (looks like a 1037) Track (looks like a 1038) or the
wider Tour. Tough and cheap.

O.K., those are not Campy quality, but gawdamighty, the MKS are cheap.
I think I was paying that much for plausible SR knock-offs back in the
80s. -- Jay Beattie.

All good choices, however; if you plan to run without toe clips, at
all, only the first of the suggestions, the Silvan touring pedal is
symetrical. Why ride a one-sided pedal if you're not going to be
running clips? The bottom side is not particularly comfortable or
safe. YMMV

Indeed. Also worth considering, is that while the Sylvan Touring is a
fantastic pedal, it does have a limitation of not having support on
the side, so if you want a double sided cage pedal, something like one
of the various "mountain" style Wellgo or Dimension pedals that can
be used with or w/o clips that have a wraparound cage offer more
support. This style used to be be the ubiquitous OEM style that came
on most bikes--at least a cheaper version.