two more questions

Old April 16th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default two more questions

....and that's it, until I get some quality seat time, I promise. (bike
is an '05 Cannondale CX)

Spent the evening obsessively-compulsively looking for install
instructions, etc. on all the various components on my bike to
familiarize myself with what I'm going to need to do to get it in the
shape I want it. (you think that's bad, you should see how I restore a
car. It gets silly. Just accept that that's the way I am and let's
move on.) The brake situation is under control, I've already got some
cantis on the way (love the internet!) picked up some new brake cables
at LBS on the way home from work.

Questions:

1) pedals - I still need 'em. Is clipless the way to go? I've never
ridden with them, are they worth the investment? LBS seems to think so,
as I think they may have had one or two platform/clip type pedals...
I'll just throw some junkers on there to get it out and about, but I'm
used to riding with clips, and let's be honest, I look like a fred
enough as it is without riding a halfway decent bike with crap pedals

2) For the first time, I think I may have inadvertantly screwed up, or
at least made a purchase that might not be as good as it was cracked up
to be. I thought I'd inspected the bike fairly well before flashing any
green, but while playing with it after I got it home I noticed a little
squeak when rotating the crank backwards. Figured "no big deal, I'll
just slap a new bottom bracket in there. Done." A little more OCD
style research turns up the news that the overwhelming opinion seems to
be that ISIS BB's all suck. This is bad news to me as I have not one
but two cranksets, both Truvativ, both ISIS. What's your call - slap
another gigapipe in there and hope for the best, or swap to...? I'm
trying to keep the expenditures to a minimum, I know that sounds silly
after dropping a couple hundred bucks on a new bike that I technically
didn't need (but am sure I'll enjoy riding) but I've also got a couple
other toys awaiting my attention (and cash infusions...) like the house,
car, etc...

thanks again

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 16th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 6:44*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Clipless is great. But maybe don't mix getting used to your new bike
with learning to use clipless pedals. Use what you have until you get
settled into the bike, then go clipless. Platform/combi type clipless
are lousy if you ask me. More difficult to clip inot than regular
clipless. If you want to occasionally use regular shoes that works
fine with most clipless MTB pedals, but can be slippery standing. You
can also get some plastic inserts to use with regular shoes.

[...]

ISIS isn't the greatest, but it does't necessarily suck. By far the
cheapest thing to do it just swap the bb and ride it til it pukes, and
swap again. Could be forever, who knows. No reason to buy a new
crankset and bb because you think you might someday wear out your
existing bb.

Joseph
Old April 16th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 16, 1:58*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Joseph- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Joseph. Get some MTB shoes and spd pedals. You can find
spd pedals for as little at $30.00. Regarding your crankset, BB you'll
be fine with ISIS. If properly installed and adjusted, they'll last
plenty. Just ride the bike and have fun.

Andres

Old April 16th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 12:44 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Clipless is definitely the way to go. Joseph might be right about
getting used to the bike first, but clipless is awesome. I'd say
start off with them fairly loose until you get used to it, then
tighten them up. You should only tip over once before you start
remembering you're clipped in Unlike Joseph, I love the platform
SPDs. I have them on all my bikes except the BMX, which runs flats.
I clip in and out easy as can be with my riding shoes, but if I just
want to hop on one and shoot to the store I can ride it just fine in
sneakers, or even dress shoes (as I've done on many a lunch break
run). Just yesterday at lunch I met a friend for coffee. While
talking, we passed my bike back and forth, doing small tricks in the
parking lot. If I didn't have the platforms that wouldn't have been
doable.

Now go ride your bike!
Old April 16th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 16, 9:38*am, " wrote:
[...]

I'm going to try to get a short one in tonight, all I should have to
do to get it rolling is steal the pedals and lights off the POS bike.
Hopefully my brakes will be here before the weekend... I'm going to
need a stress reliever after this week at work

nate
Old April 16th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Questions:

| 1) pedals - I still need 'em. Is clipless the way to go? I've never
| ridden with them, are they worth the investment? LBS seems to think so,
| as I think they may have had one or two platform/clip type pedals...
| I'll just throw some junkers on there to get it out and about, but I'm
| used to riding with clips, and let's be honest, I look like a fred
| enough as it is without riding a halfway decent bike with crap pedals

You'll get used to clipless faster than you think. Don't be scared of them.
http://www.chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

| 2) For the first time, I think I may have inadvertantly screwed up, or
| at least made a purchase that might not be as good as it was cracked up
| to be. I thought I'd inspected the bike fairly well before flashing any
| green, but while playing with it after I got it home I noticed a little
| squeak when rotating the crank backwards. Figured "no big deal, I'll
| just slap a new bottom bracket in there. Done." A little more OCD
| style research turns up the news that the overwhelming opinion seems to
| be that ISIS BB's all suck. This is bad news to me as I have not one
| but two cranksets, both Truvativ, both ISIS. What's your call - slap
| another gigapipe in there and hope for the best, or swap to...? I'm
| trying to keep the expenditures to a minimum, I know that sounds silly
| after dropping a couple hundred bucks on a new bike that I technically
| didn't need (but am sure I'll enjoy riding) but I've also got a couple
| other toys awaiting my attention (and cash infusions...) like the house,
| car, etc...

I'm replacing an ISIS crank in my bike that has 20k+ miles on it. Not
because of a bottom bracket problem, but rather because the crank arms
themselves are failing (on the left side, the carbon surrounding the
aluminum that mates to the BB is separating). The ISIS bb is still running
wonderfully smooth, despite it being the Ti version with smaller bearings
(due to a larger spindle). Don't assume that things are bad simply because
it's an ISIS setup.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 16th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 15, 11:44*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Two really good options, IMHO:

If you have a bunch of sneakers you like, just get some big comfy mtb/
bmx platforms. They'll support and grip great--enough for long rides.
Who cares what folks think? They'll give you time to get used to the
bike's controls and you might like them enough to stick with them.
Something like this:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=PD1047
(that's a cheap see-if-ya-like-the-concept version)

Option two is to get some mtb or casual spd shoes and some spd
pedals. The best value by far in spd pedals is this rebranded Wellgo
sold by Nashbar:
http://tinyurl.com/4cnq5q

It's $30 and has a cartridge outboard bearing and greased inner
bushing. They are simple and indestructible. Slice off the grey mud
guard and they don't make any noise. Grease bushing yearly if you
remember.

Alternately get the $50 Shimano equivalent at your LBS along with some
shoes. Spd works well for most and it's cheap enough to find out if
its the right solution for you.

2) For the first time, I think I may have inadvertantly screwed up, or
at least made a purchase that might not be as good as it was cracked up
to be. *I thought I'd inspected the bike fairly well before flashing any
green, but while playing with it after I got it home I noticed a little
squeak when rotating the crank backwards. *Figured "no big deal, I'll
just slap a new bottom bracket in there. *Done." *
nate

Probably a dry chain or did you try rotating with the chain dropped?
You need some Dupont Teflon/Wax lube from Lowe's in your arsenal to
take care of that chain!

http://tinyurl.com/ydnjmq

Old April 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 16, 1:28*pm, landotter wrote:
On Apr 15, 11:44*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

2) For the first time, I think I may have inadvertantly screwed up, or
at least made a purchase that might not be as good as it was cracked up
to be. *I thought I'd inspected the bike fairly well before flashing any
green, but while playing with it after I got it home I noticed a little
squeak when rotating the crank backwards. *Figured "no big deal, I'll
just slap a new bottom bracket in there. *Done." *
nate

Probably a dry chain or did you try rotating with the chain dropped?
You need some Dupont Teflon/Wax lube from Lowe's in your arsenal to
take care of that chain!

Hmmm...

chain appears nice and greasy, but it probably is worth a check. I
did not try it with the chain off, it just sounded like it was coming
from the BB but I very well know how a noise can fake you out as to
where it's coming from. Thanks for the idea...

nate
Old April 16th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:44:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
may have said:

Questions:

1) pedals - I still need 'em. Is clipless the way to go? I've never
ridden with them, are they worth the investment? LBS seems to think so,
as I think they may have had one or two platform/clip type pedals...
I'll just throw some junkers on there to get it out and about, but I'm
used to riding with clips, and let's be honest, I look like a fred
enough as it is without riding a halfway decent bike with crap pedals

Rule Zero OF Everything: Use What Works Best For You. Until you have
tried clipless, you have no basis to make a decision. Spend as little
as practical on trying them for a while (I bought some used pedals and
a pair of mtb shoes that I could revert to cleatless usefully if the
experiment failed) and then decide whether it's really the way you
want to go.

[...]

"Suck" is not what I'd say about them. First, the negatives I've
encountered are in the area of insufficient shoulder relief leading to
a tendency to have breakage of the shaft in one specific area;
apparently not all of the ISIS BB assemblies are identical in this
respect, and some have apparently built a good reputation. I don't
own any myself because I'm just inherently a cheap ******* who spends
as little as possible and upgrades to new tech only when the old stuff
either is not working or isn't available at all anymore. (My roadie
is a Trek 640; is that a clue?) As for squeaks, just about *any* bike
component can have one, and the more successful approach in the long
term is to identify and treat the cause rather than to simply replace
the squeaking item; often the replacement will behave identically.
With a BB that squaeks only when moved in one direction, the important
question becomes "does it get moved in that direction when I ride?"
(Followed closely by "Is the squeak loud enough to hear when riding?")
If the answer is "No.", then don't worry about it. If "Yes", then
apply the "find the real problem before trying to fix it" paradigm.
It may just need a strategically placed drop of oil on the lip of a
seal.

Old April 16th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

1) pedals - I still need 'em. Is clipless the way to go? I've never
ridden with them, are they worth the investment? LBS seems to think so,
as I think they may have had one or two platform/clip type pedals...
I'll just throw some junkers on there to get it out and about, but I'm
used to riding with clips, and let's be honest, I look like a fred
enough as it is without riding a halfway decent bike with crap pedals

The MKS GR-9 platform pedals are excellent pedals
should you choose to go with straps.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html#platform

Otherwise Shimano SPD. Get smooth sole, recessed cleat shoes
for walking: SH-TO92
http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/shimano/shoes/PRD_320092_2512crx.aspx

Be sure to get the shoes large enough. Too tight restricts
blood flow to the feet. A bit loose does not hinder
pedaling efficiency.

--
Michael Press

two questions gym.gravity Racing 1 July 13th 05 03:46 PM
10 Questions One on one Unicycling 0 June 3rd 05 03:05 AM
10 Questions One on one Unicycling 0 June 3rd 05 12:50 AM
10 Questions forrestunifreak Unicycling 0 June 2nd 05 11:29 PM
A Few Questions ddillman Unicycling 2 June 7th 04 07:14 PM