Will an old Shimano RD-1050 6sp work with 8sp cassette?

Old April 18th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Will an old Shimano RD-1050 6sp work with 8sp cassette?

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 04:06:40 -0700 (PDT), Ozark Bicycle
wrote:

On Apr 17, 11:52 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Apr 17, 7:15 pm, JeffWills wrote:
On Apr 16, 1:30 pm, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas"

wrote:
Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur

from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?
Chas.
Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).
Maybe, maybe not. I tried this many years ago and found that the
derailleur did not have enough travel to reach the large cog. It
depends on the thickness of the deraillrrr hanger and spacing from

the
hub, I think.

IME, with 'normal' 8sp spacing (Shimano cassette hub), it works

fine.
Did you back the "L" limit screw out?

The indexing should work, though.

With new 8-speed derailers (note homage to Sheldon) starting at

$10
from Nashbar, I think you're better off getting a new shifting

thingy
anyway.

Why buy a cheap replacement derailleur (note proper spelling) when

you
have a perfectly functional high quality one?

The correct spelling is "d?railleur", not derailleur". "Derailer" is
certainly a better choice than "derailleur" for a written English

forum
such as rec.bicycles.tech.

Really? Well, let's explore-

First, we'll Google "derailer":

http://tinyurl.com/3rtkvz

(First line: "Do you mean derailleur"!)

Okay, let's Google "derailleur":

http://tinyurl.com/53tjog

That's better!!!!

Now, let's check a dictionary (Dictionary.com):

"Derailer"

http://tinyurl.com/4hzaon

No results for "derailer"......damn!!!

Well, let's try "derailleur":

Ah......that's better!

What's next, Tommy? Wanna try changing the spelling of "wheel", too?
Who needs that pesky "h", anyway?

There's no reason to change the spelling of "wheel" it is a perfectly

good
English language word. Why do you insist on using a French spelling for

some
bike parts? You don't use French for the crankset or chain or any other

thing.

DE-RAIL-YOUR or DE-RAIL-YER? ;-)

Chas..

Old April 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:

Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).

Maybe, maybe not. I tried this many years ago and found that the
derailleur did not have enough travel to reach the large cog. It
depends on the thickness of the deraillrrr hanger and spacing from the
hub, I think.

IME, with 'normal' 8sp spacing (Shimano cassette hub), it works fine.
Did you back the "L" limit screw out?

Yep... even then I had 15 years' experience working on all sorts of
bicycles. The chain would *barely* make the shift to the big cog, then
shift to the second cog with the least provocation. I may have had an
extra-thick derailing-thingy hanger, though.

The indexing should work, though.

With new 8-speed derailers (note homage to Sheldon) starting at $10
from Nashbar, I think you're better off getting a new shifting thingy
anyway.

Why buy a cheap replacement derailleur (note proper spelling) when you
have a perfectly functional high quality one?

If it doesn't shift to all the cogs, it isn't "perfectly functional",
is it?

And as to the spelling- if it's good enough for country music:
http://www.myspace.com/derailers
it's good enough for me.

Jeff

Old April 19th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
[...]

Enjoy your windmills! ;-)

"Derailleur" is an abomination; neither French nor English. Spell the
word correctly (dérailleur) or use a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

Old April 19th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Apr 18, 9:29 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

"Derailleur" is an abomination; neither French nor English. Spell the
word correctly (dérailleur) or use a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

Is the rod you have up your ass wood, steel or CFRP?

Loosen up, Tommy, it's a drag to die a virgin.......
Old April 19th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:

Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).

Maybe, maybe not. I tried this many years ago and found that the
derailleur did not have enough travel to reach the large cog. It
depends on the thickness of the deraillrrr hanger and spacing from the
hub, I think.

IME, with 'normal' 8sp spacing (Shimano cassette hub), it works fine.
Did you back the "L" limit screw out?

Yep... even then I had 15 years' experience working on all sorts of
bicycles. The chain would *barely* make the shift to the big cog, then
shift to the second cog with the least provocation. I may have had an
extra-thick derailing-thingy hanger, though.

It must have been quite thick. Or, perhaps something else was at play?

The indexing should work, though.

With new 8-speed derailers (note homage to Sheldon) starting at $10
from Nashbar, I think you're better off getting a new shifting thingy
anyway.

Why buy a cheap replacement derailleur (note proper spelling) when you
have a perfectly functional high quality one?

If it doesn't shift to all the cogs, it isn't "perfectly functional",
is it?

But, an RD-1050 *will* shift across an 8sp cassette

And as to the spelling- if it's good enough for country music:http://www.myspace.com/derailers
it's good enough for me.

You said it, I didn't.

Old April 19th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

"Derailleur" is an abomination; neither French nor English. Spell the
word correctly (dérailleur) or use a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

How do you know that the sensible English speling
does not have two ells?

--
Michael Press
Old April 19th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 18, 9:29 pm, Tom Sherman

a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

Is that how thay spel it in yur nayborhood?T

Old April 19th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Apr 18, 9:29 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

"Derailleur" is an abomination; neither French nor English. Spell the
word correctly (dérailleur) or use a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

Is the rod you have up your ass wood, steel or CFRP?

Since it is an acronym for Above Seat Steering, "ASS" should be in all
capital letters. All of the ASS assemblies on my bicycles are tubular
steel or aluminium alloy, with no wooden core.

Loosen up, Tommy, it's a drag to die a virgin.......

So Zarkie, when are you going to NYC to visit JFT?

Old April 19th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Apr 18, 9:29 pm, Tom Sherman

a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

Is that how thay spel it in yur nayborhood?T

If it was good enough for Sheldon, it works for me.

Old April 19th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

"Derailleur" is an abomination; neither French nor English. Spell the
word correctly (dérailleur) or use a sensible phonetic English spelling
(derailer).

How do you know that the sensible English speling
does not have two ells?

The extra "l" would be redundant.