Camelbaks....

Old September 21st 03, 04:11 PM
Jester2000

Default Camelbaks....

After going on that awsome MUni ride to Lloyd's house in Truckee, I
realized that I want to get a Camelbak. I checked out Camelbak's
website, and I think the model that I want is the CamelBak M.U.L.E.
I've been trying to find a good deal, and I think this looks like a
pretty good one:

http://tinyurl.com/o4fx

Anyone have any advice on Camelbaks and/or the link above?

Thanks,

Jess Riegel

--
Jester2000 - Super Unicyclist

'[image: http://www.teendanceclub.com/images/jester_trans.gif]'
(http://www.unicycle.com2.info)
Check out my website :-)
'Unicycle Jester' (http://www.unicycle.com2.info)
Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

Old September 21st 03, 07:29 PM
brian.slater

The 90-degree valve is great, you can easily keep the nipple in your
mouth or you can hang it over your shoulder, out of the way yet
convenient. And when you're transporting it, you don't have to worry
about leakage.

My only suggestion is an insulated hose if you like your water chilled,
otherwise it warms up in the hose between drinks. Or freezes in the
winter.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old September 21st 03, 10:58 PM
onefiftyfour

I've had the mule for over a year and I think it's great.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old September 22nd 03, 04:54 AM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

I have a Camelbak H.A.W.G., it carries 70ozs and has lots of storage space.
I have had other models of Camelbak. Hydration is very important on long
rides, and especially in warm weather.
The Camel back is rugged and of sturdy constraction, and wears very well. I
have had this one for 4 years, and all I have replaced is the bladder, only
cuz it got discolored, not because it leaked.

Any hydration system is better than none at all!

Old September 22nd 03, 08:02 AM
tomblackwood

john_childs wrote:
*My favorite backpack style hydration pack is the 'Ultimate Direction'
(http://www.ultimatedirection.com/) 'XSpurt'
(http://www.ultimatedirection.com/xspurt.html)
The big advantage to the Ultimate Direction packs is that they're
more stable than the Camelbak and other packs. The Ultimate Direction
packs sit lower on your back. With the pack down lower it doesn't
bounce around as much when you jump around. I'm perfectly happy
jumping up a flight of stairs with my Ultimate Direction pack on.
It's the best pack on the market, IMHO, even though the Camelbak's are
way more popular. *

While I haven't yet given it the Happy Jumping Up Flight of Stairs test,
I'd agree with John on how this pack rides. I like that element of it
much better than my Camelbak CloudWalker, which was my main riding pack
until I bought the sxpurt.

One caveat: the pack is great, but I think the bladder/valve combo kind
of bites. The seal on the bladder happens by rolling up the end of the
bag, versus the nice screw-cap on the Camels. The Camel bite valves are
also superior, require a heck of a lot less maintenance (no moving
parts), and are much quicker to replace when the rubber eventually wears
out. I'm using the xspurt as my main pack now, although with the
Camelbak bladder and valve.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

Old September 22nd 03, 09:17 AM
john_childs

tomblackwood wrote:
*
One caveat: the pack is great, but I think the bladder/valve combo
kind of bites. The seal on the bladder happens by rolling up the end
of the bag, versus the nice screw-cap on the Camels. The Camel bite
valves are also superior, require a heck of a lot less maintenance (no
moving parts), and are much quicker to replace when the rubber
eventually wears out. I'm using the xspurt as my main pack now,
although with the Camelbak bladder and valve. *

The roll top closure on the bladder works very well and is quite handy
for making it easier to fill and clean. The roll top closure has never
leaked on me even when I sat on it.

The old style bite valve isn't ideal. The new 'bite valve'
(http://www.ultimatedirection.com/doubleshot.html) is more like the
Camelbak style bite valve.

Ultimate Direction does sell the new style bite valve by itself.
http://www.ultimatedirection.com/accessories_pr.html
It's $6.00. You should be able to order it from REI or any other
retailer that carries Ultimate Direction stuff (check the UD web site
for dealers). It would probably be a special order item.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old September 22nd 03, 05:06 PM
carjug

I made myself a homemade camelback using some string, tape, an old pair
of construction suspenders, and a gatorade bottle. it doesn't have the
little hose, and you have to take it off to get a drink; but it works
for me and the price was negligable. carjug

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Old September 23rd 03, 12:55 AM
ratherbekayaking

paco wrote:
*One question: do you really want 3 liters? How long of trips are
you planning to make with your hydration system? It's not necessarily
a bad thing, but if you're just heading to the skate park, 2 liters
should be fine.
I got myself a 3-liter un-bottle to slip into a backpack for longer
rides, but for 10 mile rides or less, I've got a small 2-liter
hydration system that works just fine.
Just food (or water) for thought. *

On the Slickrock ride I only had the one 3-liter (100oz) bag and was
rationing, still ran out a mile or so from the end. That's why I now
have the 2nd bag.

Here in Colorado, I'm never riding below 5,500 feet, usually around
7,000-10,000 actually, and it's dry and usually hot. I've emptied all 6
liters on more than one ride. (Waldo Canyon & Apex Trail) If I'm on a
short ride, or I'm just doinking around, I just fill the one bag
1/2-3/4.

So yeah, I think The bigger 3-liter is the way to go.

--
ratherbekayaking - Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330

Old September 23rd 03, 02:53 AM
john_childs

Jester2000 wrote:
*
Now I can't decide between the xspurt and the camelbak...ugh..
Didn't someone say that REI has xpurts or something?
I think I'm going to visist my local REI and check it out..
*

REI does carry Ultimate Direction gear. But I don't know if every store
stocks a lot of UD gear. Give your local store a call to see what they
have before making a special trip to the store.

I got my XSpurt at 'rei-outlet.com' (http://www.rei-outlet.com) But
they don't have them listed in the outlet shop now. I don't think
you're going to be able to beat the price at 'supergo.com'
(http://www.supergo.com/).

Old September 23rd 03, 09:39 PM
john_childs

S_Wallis wrote:
*I am a fan of lumbar type hydration packs for muni because they tend
to bounce less and I feel less encumbered with no shoulder straps. I
recently found one I think is great, the Hydra Pak Hip-Sip 70. It was
the only one I could find with enough capacity after my discontinued
Camelbak Bandido was stolen. Now that I have used it for 100 muni
miles I am extremely satisfied and it is much better than the Bandido.
*

Nice! I also have a Camelbak Bandido. I use the Bandido for shorter
rides since it only holds 70 oz. Good lumbar (bum bag) style packs are
great for muni. They are more stable than a backpack style pack.

The hard part is finding a lumbar style pack that holds 70 oz of water
along with enough storage for gear. All I see in the stores are the
little ones that hold 40 oz to 50 oz and no room for gear. I've seen
the 50 oz Hydrapak Hip Sip 50 at REI but never the 70 oz model. I
didn't even know they made a 70 oz model. Now I have something to
replace the Camelbak Bandido when it finally dies. Sweet!