Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

Old February 20th 04, 10:24 AM
Tony Raven

Default Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

David Off wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...007366,00.html

This is a good one:

"VERY well said. As a motorist, I am also irritated by cyclists who insist on
riding on the road, presumably to travel faster while at the same time
creating a hazard and slowing my journey, when there is a perfectly good cycle
path they could use, and which has been funded at huge cost.
There should also be an obligation for cyclists to carry third-party
insurance. It was I who had to pay my car's repair costs after damage caused
by a careless cyclist.

Terry Holloway, Cambridge "

That wouldn't be Terry Holloway, Head of Marshalls, the owners of virtually
all the car dealerships in Cambridge by any chance?

Tony

Old February 20th 04, 10:25 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Erm... what's the matter here? He clearly states he's only having a go at
the cyclists that abuse the roads...

Tom.

No he's not. He's having a petulent rant becuase he's been fined for bad
driving practices and does:

"This "attitude" should be penalised. Unfortunately, Ken would never introduce
a congestion charge for cyclists, but a flat £320 fine for jumping the lights,
dangerous cycling or wearing professional cycling gear in a built-up area might
do the trick."

look like he's *only* going after cyclists who abuse the roads? Since when has
it been a crime to wear "professional" cycling gear? Granted, the sight of
yours truly in Lycra is not a pretty sight, but the wearing of "professional"
cycling gear certainly *helps* to make cycling any sort of distance
comfortable. If I ever meet Whitworth, I do hope I happen to be a vision in
fluorescent yellow at the time. I'd rather enjoy the effect of scarring his
retinas ;-)

It's the usual anti-cyclist rant which appears in the press with growing
frequency simply because f*ckwit drivers who get caught out breaking the law
and refuse to accept responsibility for their own inadequacies try to pass the
blame on to what they see as a moree fitting target. Simply because said
f*ckwit motorist feels his genitals have been chopped off by the authorities.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 20th 04, 10:32 AM
W K

"David Off" wrote in message
m...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

I always try not to think "whinging dickheads who've been done for
something".

"Acouple of weeks ago I received in the post a photograph of my car and a
£60 fine, because I had strayed unwittingly into a bus lane at 7pm. That was
nothing to the £320 ...(parking fine) "

Anyone know what the psychological term for this is.
Reminds me a lot of primary school "but miss - look what he's doing".

Old February 20th 04, 10:33 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

You know, I thought your letter was good - other then this drivel - and here
you mention it again.

If I go off and find that your name is related to being vacuous or
air-headed, or more positively, radiant or lovely or whatever, it doesn't
mean you are any
of these things.

If I called myself Jesus, it wouldn't make me the son of a religious deity.

A name is a name nothing else.

Indeed a name is a name and nothing else, but perhaps my wee rant may (if read
by Whitworth) may allow him to reflect on unreasonable rantings generally - and
specifically his own *gross rantings*. One can but hope ;-)

Old February 20th 04, 10:34 AM
MSeries

Thomas wrote:
"David Off" wrote in message
m...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

Erm... what's the matter here? He clearly states he's only having a
go at the cyclists that abuse the roads...

Tom.

He's having ago at what some cyclists wear also, he says "a flat £320 fine
for ..... wearing professional cycling gear in a built-up area".

Who the hell does he think he is ? The fashion police ? He is an idiot. The
Times are idiots for publishing this crap.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old February 20th 04, 10:34 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Anyone know what the psychological term for this is.
Reminds me a lot of primary school "but miss - look what he's doing".

Indeed, a toddler's temper tantrum. Displacement of own guilt on to someone or
something else.

Old February 20th 04, 10:48 AM
Thomas

[...]

Yes, he is only going after the cyclists who abuse the road.

Right, I hate playing devil's advocate, but I have little choice here; Spend
a few days cycling in London and you'll see that the biggest abusers of the
road are those wearing all the lycra gear and yet cycle appaulingly. It's a
sad fact, I'm afraid.

It's the usual anti-cyclist rant which appears in the press with growing
frequency simply because f*ckwit drivers who get caught out breaking the

law
and refuse to accept responsibility for their own inadequacies try to pass

the
blame on to what they see as a moree fitting target. Simply because said
f*ckwit motorist feels his genitals have been chopped off by the

authorities.

Yup, his ****wittitude is enormous, and yes, it's irritating that drivers
complain about things that are their own fault, but we're a nation of
whiners anyway. Let him bleat.

Tom.

Old February 20th 04, 10:49 AM
Thomas

Erm... what's the matter here? He clearly states he's only having a
go at the cyclists that abuse the roads...

Tom.

He's having ago at what some cyclists wear also, he says "a flat £320 fine
for ..... wearing professional cycling gear in a built-up area".

Who the hell does he think he is ? The fashion police ? He is an idiot.

The
Times are idiots for publishing this crap.

As I wrote in my reply to Helen, it's a sad truth - the majority of ****e
cyclists in london have all the gear. Thinking about my fall a couple of
days ago, I'm not that surprised no-one helped - I was fully lycra'd up, and
I've certainly seen more than a few equally lycra-sporting louts have
incidents with pedestrians.

Tom.

Old February 20th 04, 10:55 AM
Dave Larrington

dwb wrote:

Don't be so narrow minded.

What's narrow-minded about obejcting to a piece of yellow journalism written
by a ****wit?

Have you never had anything unexpected
happen whilst you were on the road? An errant taxi driver doing a
U-Turn, someone running into the road, something falling off the
back of a lorry? Didn't have to take avoiding action?

I have brakes, and know to leave enough space to use them.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old February 20th 04, 11:00 AM
MSeries

Thomas wrote:
Erm... what's the matter here? He clearly states he's only having a
go at the cyclists that abuse the roads...

Tom.

He's having ago at what some cyclists wear also, he says "a flat
£320 fine for ..... wearing professional cycling gear in a built-up
area".

Who the hell does he think he is ? The fashion police ? He is an
idiot. The Times are idiots for publishing this crap.

As I wrote in my reply to Helen, it's a sad truth - the majority of
****e cyclists in london have all the gear. Thinking about my fall a
couple of days ago, I'm not that surprised no-one helped - I was
fully lycra'd up, and I've certainly seen more than a few equally
lycra-sporting louts have incidents with pedestrians.

Tom.

But it is still wrong and offensive to label all cyclists who wear pro gear
in cities as louts.

I have seen plently of louts driving Saxos or Corsas around here but I am
not labelling all Saxo and Corsa drivers as louts.

Do you think you would have received help had you been wearing civvies ?
Don't blame yourself for others being too ignorant to help you.