Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 4th 03, 02:28 PM
Alan Erskine

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
As a regular footpath cyclist (with my 6YO
son) I give walkers warning and a wide berth. At low speed, there should

be
no real problems!

Tim

Likewise. I give plenty of time so they know I'm there and then _I_ move
out of _their_ way; I don't expect them to move out of my way at all.

By the way, I'm hardly a "Lycra-clad cyclist" I wear jeans and an old
shirt - don't like too much sun and don't like being cut up by branches etc.
I ride slowly (15km/h at most) and on the outside edge of the path so I
_don't_ hit pedestrians.

I'm courteous, friendly and polite to a fault.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Trial or release, Mr Bush, trial or release.

Old October 5th 03, 01:41 AM
Theo Bekkers

"David Trudgett" wrote

Making it illegal to ride a bicycle on a footpath, full stop,

doesn't
stop an ar**hole bowling over grandma at the pedestrian crossing. It
doesn't do anything besides kill more cyclists. Well, I'm too young

die! (Who isn't?) You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work

out
where it would be safer for everybody (you, the motorists, and the
pedestrians) to ride cautiously on a footpath than to ride on the

road
pi**ing motorists off because you're getting in their way, lane

hogging,
or whatever.

Like I said, it's not rocket science. What we have an obligation to

do
is the *right thing* by others and by yourself. If the *right thing*
doesn't happen to be legal, well tough^H^H^H^H^H obey the law, of

course.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically David but there have been
some really stupid (IMHO) things said in this thread in favour of
riding on the footpath.

Suppose I think it is very dangerous and get nervous driving my car on
the road with traffic, is it OK for me to take to the foot-path? I
promise I wont go over 15 km/h and I'll be very cautious.

Bicycles are traffic. Ride on the road or park it. Stay off the
foot-path.

Theo

Old October 5th 03, 02:06 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Theo Bekkers wrote in message
[...]

Theo, do you really need the difference between bikes and cars illustrated
when it comes to using the footpath? If you think some of the comments in
this thread are stupid, perhaps you should look at your own analogy.
---
DFM

Old October 5th 03, 02:18 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Well, I wouldn't go that far. As a regular footpath cyclist (with my 6YO
son) I give walkers warning and a wide berth. At low speed, there should

be
no real problems!

I rarely ride on foot paths, but think that it's ok if it's done with
discretion. Factors to include are the level of traffic on the road, whether
or not a bike lane is provided, whether or not there are masses of people
around, the speed you are travelling, and how far you are intending on
going. Some sections of footpath have very little pedestrian traffic, and I
can't see the harm in riding on them, especially if it gets you off the main
road. The cops are pretty unlikely to book you unless you are being stupid
about it.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that you are not supposed to be there.
Pedestrians have right of way over you no matter what. And if you get
caught, cop it sweet.
---
DFM