Cyclist assaulted in Sheffield

Old May 3rd 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist assaulted in Sheffield

elyob wrote:
"Simon Geller" wrote in message
Long-term subscribers to this list may recall the case in December 2005
where a cyclist was assaulted in Sheffield. The victim reported the case
via the CTC forum when looking for advice as to how to proceed, and it got
forwarded amongst the various cycling fora. A number of posters on this
list suggested that this incident did not ring true and must have been
made up.

The case has now come to court and was reported in the Sheffield Star
on April 27th. A scan is available at
http://www.pedalpushers.org.uk/resources/star.gif
and back issues are available from the Star offices at
York Street, Sheffield, S1 1PU, 0114 276 7676

I trust therefore that the posters who alleged that this story had been
fabricated will now recognise that they were wrong and apologise for the
distress they have caused to the victim, his family and friends.

Simon Geller
Pedal Pushers Sheffield Cycle Campaign.

I remember it being brought up, I remember thinking that it sounded
incredible. I've just had a quick re-read of the original thread, and yes
there were one or two who voiced an opinion of whether this was fact or
fiction. Then someone posted that he knew the bloke and correlated the
story.

The whole point was this story did sound *incredible*. (Definition: So
implausible as to elicit disbelief).

One or two? Just to help with the apologies:-

garryb59 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that this incident has bugger all to do
with the woes of cycling and everything to do with race hate?

There was nothing to suggest that the initial attack by the motorist
had
anything to do with race (unlike the subsequent attack by the gang).
--
Wally

This sounds fake. Is there any newspaper report of it? This sounds like
an
attempt to stir up anti-Asian feelings.
Just my 2p'orth.
--
Martin Bulmer

Those were my initial thoughts too.
Bertie Wiggins

The quote of "Get the white *******" sounds unrealistic to me, too. And

IIRC, the area doesn't strike me as being the kind of place where
there's a
large enough asian population for violence against whites to be likely.

--
Ambrose

Didn't come up in google news under sheffield cyclist or bike. I'd bet
on it
being a racist wind up.
Andy Morris

I thought it sounded a bit dodgy too. I couldn't see anything about it
on
their website. They have a news bit so expected to see it there as
he's a
member. Couldn't have a look at their mailing list archives as
membership
to the list requires approval from an admin.

Mark Thompson

Can't see any sign of it on...
http://www.southyorks.police.uk/news/
--
Wally

I stand to be corrected, but I suspect this particular tale has more
holes
than a fishing net.

Wally again (after a massive demolition job on the whole story)

Pedalpushers site simply isn't updated often
enough to carry this. It's looking like a fake - if there are no
corroborative sources by the end of the day, then it definitely is.
Oliver_Two

This sort of thing, combined with the lack of any corroboratve
evidence,
makes the story very suspect. It doesn't wash.
--
Wally (again)

By last night, the story was already over four days old - if there was
nowt
by then, there probably won't be anything until it goes to court
(which, I
suspect, it won't, because I think it didn't happen).
--
Wally ditto

It just all rang false to me, anyway.
--
Ambrose

LIS, I stand to be corrected, but there are some odd aspects to the
story.
At the very least, it sounds like an outrageous-enough situation for it
be in the press and on the police web site.
I just phoned Sharrow Junior School and they say there was no such
incident.
I also phoned another nearby school, and they refused to give me any
information one way or the other. The second school is roughly the same

distance from the junction that the car orginally stopped at, and that
still
leaves me wondering about the time-slip between to-ing and fro-ing with
the
driver, the scared woman walking up and trying to give the cyclist a
bit of
paper, and him suddenly realising that the asian youths aren't friendly
and
ducking into the school entrance (a good 200m or more away).
--
Wally

He says he knows Alan quite well, but he hasn't stated that he has
spoken to
him since the incident. This post from the C+ forum is *not* a
confirmation
of the story.
--
Wally

Since a story which included a racist attack on a white man didn't make

the front page of either the Sun or the Daily Wail! You don't find the
lack of requests / press releases on the South Yorks. Police website a
little strange? Given the magnitude of the crime and their habit of
reporting almost everything else.
Jon

It is interesting that the original poster has not responded at all.
a distinct pointer to being a troll -- and too much like a fabrication.

Sorry but I just do not believe it
--
Trevor A Panther

Old May 3rd 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Squashme wrote:

One or two? Just to help with the apologies:-

Yeah, I was wrong. I don't apologise for my scepticism, but I do apologise
if I upset the victim.

If a similar post came tomorrow, I'd still question it just the same.
--
Ambrose

Old May 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Doki wrote:

There's a reason why the number of murderers who have gone on to murder a
second person after getting out of jail is kept very quiet by the
Government.

Not that its worth keeping quiet. Its about 1 murderer a year is
reconvicted for murder (Source: House of Commons Research Paper 99/56).
The other ~200 released per annum didn't commit a second murder.

In other words: If you rarely kill innocent people, but overall you can
reduce deaths, where's the moral justification for *not* having the death
penalty?

Death Penalty for motorists who have fatal accidents then. They kill
four times as many people per year as are murdered/manslaughtered. If
just one life..... Now where have I heard that before.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old May 3rd 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Just to help with the apologies:-

I thought it sounded a bit dodgy too. I couldn't see anything about
it on their website. They have a news bit so expected to see it there as
he's a member. Couldn't have a look at their mailing list archives as
membership to the list requires approval from an admin.

Mark Thompson

I need more help, um, what am I apologising for?
Old May 3rd 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

..

"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote in message
Squashme wrote:

One or two? Just to help with the apologies:-

Yeah, I was wrong. I don't apologise for my scepticism, but I do apologise
if I upset the victim.

If a similar post came tomorrow, I'd still question it just the same.
--
Ambrose

So would I. I cannot say otherwise.

I was certainly not the only one to express their doubts and not just on
this news group.Other forums had similar posters expressing their disbelief.

So I was wrong in assuming it was anything but a real incident, and quite
horrifying to boot! It would seem that the court has dealt with it in a very
low key fashion which, considering the details of the assault, is
inexplicable.

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom

Old May 3rd 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:14:34 GMT, Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

I need more help, um, what am I apologising for?

Look at the thread started by:

In particular some of the posts following:

Old May 3rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Pinky" typed

So I was wrong in assuming it was anything but a real incident, and quite
horrifying to boot! It would seem that the court has dealt with it in
a very
low key fashion which, considering the details of the assault, is
inexplicable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that The Establishment treats cyclists as if
'They were asking for it' :-(

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 3rd 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Mark
Thompson
('pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_ to_reply*.com') wrote:

In other words: If you rarely kill innocent people, but overall you
can reduce deaths, where's the moral justification for *not* having
the death penalty?

You could perhaps keep them in prison for the rest of their lives.
Problem solved.

Keeping people in prison indefinitely is not without its moral problems,
either; it seems hugely inhumane to me, I'd rather be killed. This is
one of those areas where there are no simple solutions. The death
penalty is clearly wrong, for all the reasons Tony has given, but true
life imprisonment might well be worse.

You can let someone out twenty years down the line when you find out he
was innocent, but you can't give him those years back and you can't undo
the psychological damage you've inflicted in the mean time.

;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
-- Drink C'lloid

Old May 3rd 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Simon Geller wrote:

The case has now come to court and was reported in the Sheffield Star
on April 27th. A scan is available at
http://www.pedalpushers.org.uk/resources/star.gif

I'm a little shocked that such a deliberate assult didn't get
a custodial scentence.

Arthur

Suprised you're even a little shocked. Victim was a cyclist.

Ken

Old May 3rd 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:

Winston Silcott was out on bail when he murdered PC Keith Blakelock in
1985. His conviction for the murder of the policeman was later
quashed.

So he didn't murder Blakelock.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Cyclist attcked in Sheffield! John UK 86 December 22nd 05 07:56 PM
Cyclist attacked in road rage incident. [email protected] UK 40 November 6th 05 09:09 PM
Head on bike crash kills cyclist.... mrbubl General 12 August 20th 05 09:38 PM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
Cyclist killed in King's Lynn - hit & run dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 20 December 17th 03 04:36 PM