Kevlar

Old March 8th 19, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Kevlar

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 9:55:18 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/8/2019 12:30 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 11:29:22 AM UTC-5, Zen Cycle wrote:
Snipped
I stick by my original assessment - he didn't have any kevlar tires, and was trying to make a sale by feeding you bull****.

Some bicycle shop employees are Masters of bull****. THere's a shop here in town that I went to in order to a seat binder bolt for the frame of my Columbus SL frame. I could not believe it when the shop mechanics told me that seat binder bolts were no longer made! I asked them what was I supposed to do then and they said buy a new bicycle with the separate seat post binder collar. Oh, to make the visit that much more enjoyable and to insure my future business, they informed me that do NOT like single speed bicycle! Needless to say I don't deal with that shop.

There are shops, and there are shops.

At one large LBS, I went in shopping for a folding bike. They had
several on the floor, but the employee didn't know how to fold any of them.

Same shop, I went in looking for a pair of classic mesh-back gloves. A
different employee asked if he could help me. They had none, and not
only did he not offer to order some, he told me disdainfully "Nobody
wears those any more."

Same shop, I had a $15 gift certificate given to me by my bike club. I
was fabricating an attachment for my Karrimor saddlebag, to allow
quickly moving it between bikes. The owner told me the only QR they had
in stock was titanium. I certainly didn't need that, but thought "What
the heck, it's free for me," and used my GC. But it turned out to be too
long, and since it was titanium it would be tough to extend the threads.
I returned it, and he said all he could do was trade it for a used steel
one. I asked "No refund?" He said "No refund."

Finally, he was interviewed for a newspaper article where he came out
strongly in favor of a mandatory helmet law.

I was quite happy when his shop went out of business. It was open less
than ten years.

So you think someone expressing an opposing opinion and exercising his free speech right should go out of business? Shame on you. You anti-MHL taliban zealot!

And where do you find these shops? Even a REI would have a selection of QRs.. Get a Wheelmaster at Walmart. $6.89! http://tinyurl.com/yytkzd7p I would have stopped going there as punishment for not knowing how to fold a bike. Everyone should know how to fold a bike! I'm outraged!

My problem is going into Universal and saying, I want a quick release, and then they say "which one": https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=160 "I don't know, what do you have in blue?"

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 8th 19, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/8/2019 2:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

This is far from a cycling mecca. I think the closest REI shop is about
60 miles away.

Since the shop I mentioned closed, one outdoor store (owned by a friend
of mine) expanded into bicycles. Their mechanic (a long time friend of
mine) has always been reputed to be the best bike mechanic in town.
There are three other long-established shops within 20 miles, plus one
fairly new one that's still quite small. I get along well with all those
places - well enough, for example, that one of them loaned me a bottom
bracket tool when he thought I might need one.

Around here, that's it. The guy who went out of business was the closest
to my house.

When I lived down south in the 1970s, the town of 30,000 that we lived
in had two bike shops. One was a Schwinn dealer that had been there for
generations, selling balloon tired bikes. The other was the brand new
Raleigh dealer run by a couple of guys who became my friends. But there
shop closed down after about 7 years, IIRC. The next closest bike shop
was probably 80 miles away.

Portland is a unique place.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 4:51:45 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

People in Portland Oregon are very fortunate to live in such a bicycling shops mecca.

Cheers
Old March 8th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

I was in Seattle on Wednesday arguing an appeal in Division I, which is not far from a nice bike shop. http://tinyurl.com/y3xcc5gy Seattle makes Portland feel like a trailer park. We Portlanders have to find comfort in the number of our bike shops. They are not as glitzy as Seattle, but they're everywhere. This one is probably a half-mile from my house. http://www.burlingamebikes.com/ It's a retirement project, and I doubt it turns a profit, but it makes my neighborhood unique -- that and the weed shop.

-- Jay Beattie.

Kevlar Tyres phil[_2_] UK 9 October 2nd 08 05:39 PM
tires with Kevlar pam_in_sc General 17 May 14th 06 11:28 PM
KEVLAR FORKS Dorian Smith Techniques 11 June 21st 04 06:10 AM
Kevlar Tires Neil Smith General 7 August 13th 03 11:12 AM
Kevlar Spokes Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 July 13th 03 05:03 PM