On the streets of Pyrmont, Sydney....

Old February 7th 11, 04:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default On the streets of Pyrmont, Sydney....

OK, so here I was on the way to Balmain and cruising at my usual pace
thru the back of Darling Harbour and then on towards the Fish Markets to
that little cutaway in the road which leads to the ramp up to ANZAC Bridge.

As I approached the turnoff to get onto the ANZAC Bridge ramp, I noticed
this fellow cyclist about 25m-30m in front of me. He was in the middle
of the lane, on the left, than on the right, than all over the place,
standing on his pedals, etc etc. He didn't look wobbly, so I assumed he
was just enjoying himself on the quiet roads of Pyrmont at 1900.

As I got nearer, I noticed, yes, he had Lycra on but unusually he was
also carrying a backpack. I could not really see what bike he was riding
but I did notice that he had BIG calf muscles - suggesting that this
fellow knew a bit about riding a bike.

He cuts in front of me and slows down to turn right - exactly at the
same time that I was going to turn right. So I thinks to meself, this
fellow wants to play games. I slowed down to allow him to do what he
wants, and after the right hand turn, I politely took my place behind
him to allow him to take the lead. It was starting to look like he
intended to be going up the ramp onto ANZAC Bridge as well.

What does he do? He slows right down and I had no choice but to go past
him. I nodded me head and said g'day and he gives me a dirty look. I
mentally shrugged my shoulders and picked up my speed slightly as I was
getting close to the ramp.

A thought struck me. Maybe he DOES wants to play! So if I hit that ramp
really really fast (I've been across ANZAC Bridge a few times), I could
make it up that ramp pretty quick and we'll see how much this fellow
really wants to play

So, as soon as I hit that spiral ramp, I just stood on my pedals and
went for it. After the first two turns, I could now see that, yes, he
intended to play He was pushing hard up that ramp as well. The
chase was on. I just kept pumping hard all the way to the top of the
ramp and he seemed to be falling a bit behind (30m?).

At the top of the ramp, most folks slow down to take a breather and than
start the ride over the ANZAC Bridge proper. This is a fatal mistake,
I've learnt in the past - slow down at the top of the ramp and you are
gonna suffer. You see, the uphill climb from the ramp does not really
finish at the top of the ramp. It is still uphill along the bridge for
another 300m or so.

So, as soon as I hit the top of the ramp, I dropped back into my saddle
(I had been standing on my pedals all the way to the top of the ramp),
dropped one gear ratio, invoked the names of my cycling gods - Indurain,
Armstrong and for good measure, Hushovd, and upped my cadence.

I stole a quick look over my right shoulder and that Lycra-clad fellow
was way behind now - 50m(? hard to tell in the fading light).

I just put me head down and kept a high cadence over the top of the rise
and pumped hard downhill, going thru my gears, towards the chicane at
the feet of the Aussie soldier. Took the chicane gently, grabbed another
quick geek behind me (nobody as far as I could see but hard to tell -
poor light) and hit the second downhill hard. Got up to the footpath at
Victoria Road, turned right and got up to the traffic lights at Mullens
Street. The lights were red, so I reckon it was a good idea to stop

30secs(?) later, who turns up at the lights? You guessed it, Mr
Lycra-clad-wanna-play-cyclist He looks at me, I looks at him and says
g'day again to him and this time, he gives me a nod and a smile and he
promptly jumps the red light!!

I just waited for the lights to change and went on my way up along
Victoria Road towards Darling Street. Yes, I did feel a bit smug and I
still do I love it when I can outrun a Lycra-clad cyclist who clearly
wants to play
Old February 7th 11, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Geoff Lock wrote:

30secs(?) later, who turns up at the lights? You guessed it, Mr
Lycra-clad-wanna-play-cyclist He looks at me, I looks at him and says
g'day again to him and this time, he gives me a nod and a smile and he
promptly jumps the red light!!

I just waited for the lights to change and went on my way up along
Victoria Road towards Darling Street. Yes, I did feel a bit smug and I
still do I love it when I can outrun a Lycra-clad cyclist who clearly
wants to play

If they need to cheat to get in front, you've already beaten them. :-)
--
Let him who is stoned cast the first sin.
Old February 8th 11, 06:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 7/02/2011 2:52 PM, John Tserkezis wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

30secs(?) later, who turns up at the lights? You guessed it, Mr
Lycra-clad-wanna-play-cyclist He looks at me, I looks at him and says
g'day again to him and this time, he gives me a nod and a smile and he
promptly jumps the red light!!

I just waited for the lights to change and went on my way up along
Victoria Road towards Darling Street. Yes, I did feel a bit smug and I
still do I love it when I can outrun a Lycra-clad cyclist who clearly
wants to play

If they need to cheat to get in front, you've already beaten them. :-)

I suspect that he was trying to make the point that he was a seasoned
rider by showing how well he could handle traffic. I wouldn't have tried
it myself honestly - just not worth the pain if I miscalculated.
Old February 8th 11, 06:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 7/02/2011 6:39 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Mon, 07 Feb 2011
14:36:57 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

I just waited for the lights to change and went on my way up along
Victoria Road towards Darling Street. Yes, I did feel a bit smug and I
still do I love it when I can outrun a Lycra-clad cyclist who clearly
wants to play

Good on you, that was a good story. :-)

Thanks for that. I think I'll go hunting for more Lycra-clad cyclists
now Just kidding

I was probably just lucky this time with this guy - who knows, he could
have had been carrying weights in his backpack or he had just had a long
ride.
Old February 8th 11, 07:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 8/02/2011 4:14 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 7/02/2011 6:39 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:

who knows, he could
have had been carrying weights in his backpack or he had just had a long
ride.

Like yourself I suspect.
Old February 8th 11, 07:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 8/02/2011 5:21 PM, Rob wrote:
On 8/02/2011 4:14 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 7/02/2011 6:39 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:

who knows, he could
have had been carrying weights in his backpack or he had just had a long
ride.

Like yourself I suspect.

Nah, I didn't have much in my backpack, just my puncture kit and some
basic tools and my wet weather gear and a light sloppy joe and a piece
of rope and ...

Also. I had only ridden from Central so it was a very short ride for me
Old February 9th 11, 07:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 9/02/2011 1:54 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Tue, 08 Feb 2011
16:14:42 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

On 7/02/2011 6:39 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Mon, 07 Feb 2011
14:36:57 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

I ride a Trike and often carry heavy weights in the rear basket, usually
consisting of groceries from the local supermarket.

I recall you do have a trike from ne of your earlier posts.

The groceries don't slow me down at all, I can still achieve 20 kph.
which I attribute mainly to the electric motor. :-)

200W motor, of cos?

One way streets Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 43 September 20th 09 04:52 PM
Streets reclaimed again! Doug[_3_] UK 71 April 9th 09 03:34 AM
Sustainable (Complete) Streets film: Transforming NYC Streets Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 0 October 29th 08 03:44 AM
Sustainable (Complete) Streets film: Transforming NYC Streets Mike Vandeman Social Issues 0 October 29th 08 03:44 AM
Slow down across Pyrmont Bridge ritcho Australia 12 February 3rd 06 08:56 AM