mountain bike trainer

Old August 22nd 07, 07:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

Default mountain bike trainer

I am currently in the market for a trainer for my mountain bike, and
have a couple basic questions.

I have seen that most trainers use the tire as the point of contact
for the resistance. I have however seen a few select models that use
the rim. Being that I would like to use this trainer on those days I
can not get out on the trails, and during the winter months, I am
leaning towards the rim trainer.
(This would save me time doing a tire/rim swap for on/off trainer
use.)
Are there any major issues or complaints regarding the rim trainers?

The second item of question is magnetic or fluid?
This will be my first trainer, so this is all pretty new to me.

Is there anything that I should be looking for or avoiding in a
trainer?

Thank you,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old August 22nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Aug 22, 11:02 am, mike wrote:
Is there anything that I should be looking for or avoiding in a
trainer?

Yeah, keep your tires on and ride your bike outside where it was meant
to be ridden.

JD

Old August 23rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 22, 12:02 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

I'd recommend you find a cheap one at a thrift store, first, to see if
you like virtual riding indoors. It's not for everybody. An
alternative, if you really can't ride outside, ie, monsoon, hurricane,
tsunami, that sort of thing, is to join a spin class over the
winter.

CDB

Old August 27th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

On Aug 22, 8:29 pm, Paladin wrote:
On Aug 22, 12:02 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

CDB- Hide quoted text -

I have tried out my co-worker's trainer and actually did not mind it
too much (he had is trial bike on his). I'd take a muddy trail with
logs and rocks any day over it however.
I am currently living in Northern Ontario Canada, which, normally gets
a fair amount of snow over 4 to 5 months a year (total snow fallen is
measured in feet, not inches here).

Now, back to my original question; Should I consider a magnetic or
fluid trainer? which is better?
Also, are the rim contact trainers any good, or is this something I
should avoid ?
Anything else to look for or avoid?

Thank you,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old August 28th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

I have tried out my co-worker's trainer and actually did not mind it
too much (he had is trial bike on his). I'd take a muddy trail with
logs and rocks any day over it however.
I am currently living in Northern Ontario Canada, which, normally gets
a fair amount of snow over 4 to 5 months a year (total snow fallen is
measured in feet, not inches here).

Now, back to my original question; Should I consider a magnetic or
fluid trainer? which is better?
Also, are the rim contact trainers any good, or is this something I
should avoid ?
Anything else to look for or avoid?

Thank you,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Fluid trainers are better but that said unless your are into serious
training and not just maintaining with a bit of extra training like
cadence and light interval then using a mag trainer works just
great.getting a heart monitor and cadence monitor are more important in
spinning then having the best style of trainer learn about heart rate
and cadence and practice those and spinning will pay off,but of course
remember there is no better training than long slow climbs.
Old August 28th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Aug 22, 12:02 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

mlawrenc(at)gmail.com- Hide quoted text -

I don't use a trainer, but if a rim trainer only pushes against one
side of the rim, I could see that becoming a problem for the wheel
over time.

$.02

/s

Old August 28th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

On Aug 27, 8:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

remember there is no better training than long slow climbs.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the information.
I am hoping to get back into the shape I was in back in college, and
potentially compete in a could cross country races last year. It has
been about 3 years since I stopped rollerblading competitively, and
maybe 5 years since I seriously rode mountain bike. Combine this with
my love for beer, I believe I have quite a up hill battle.

As for the monitors, I had not really considered them, but it would
make my training more consistent and effective. I am going to add them
to my shopping list.

Thank you again for the information,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com