RR: Now that was really different

Old August 24th 07, 10:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Now that was really different

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
oups.com...\

Gary (off the bike indefinitely....not one but two herniated discs)- Hide
quoted text -

Sorry to hear that, man.

Everybody's different, but for me, there has been life after herniated
discs. Be VERY patient, and be good to yourself. Pre-herniated discs,
I spent my whole tough-guy life "sucking it up" and "working through
it" and it landed me a nasty case of sciatica that left me pretty much
laid up for months. It was almost comical when I realized that my body
just wasn't as tough as my mind.

That was ten years ago. I've learned patience and acceptance the hard
way. Hopefully you'll feel better, but you're going to have to be
smart and pace yourself. After maybe 4 months off the bikes, I ride
almost every day.

/s

yeah but....yeah but....but.....but......I wanna ride, not get fatter than I
am!

PT starts Monday and I'm already on a week long stint of meds
(steroids...legal, of course). I'm more likely to listen to my physical
therapist' recommendations and goals but it sure is going to be tough not
riding trail.....and trying to figure out how to be a carpenter w/o heavy
lifting. Guess it might be time to get an employee, uhg.

Gary

Old August 24th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

Good luck with that. Sorry to hear you're off the bike for a while.
Hopefully you'll be back relatively soon!

Matt
Old August 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Paladin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Great stuff, Chris. I'm trying to imagine how my knees would feel after
trying to run that far.....

Gary (off the bike indefinitely....not one but two herniated discs)

Dang, Gary. I hope trading bikes on FW didn't aggravate things. Them
damm Titusses anyway. I have a few friends that had surgery and are
completely healed, better than before. So do what you gotta do, and
take it easy, drink dark beer, pricey coffee (yummmm this a.m.) & heal
up, my friend.

CDB

no, wasn't the switch but I sure didn't hurt much while riding the GF. I
think it's just too many years of nail bags and genetics.

Doc said the herniated discs weren't bad enough to require surgery....too
bad one cannot convey level of pain directly. I could live with the pain if
the power remained in my legs but losing my hill climbing ability really
puts me at a disadvantage since my technoskills suck.

Also tell Alex congrats on the new wheels.

GAry

Old August 24th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Default RR: Now that was really different

On Aug 24, 2:39 pm, LIBERATOR wrote:
On Aug 23, 11:10 pm, Paladin wrote:

I lead the Barney Rides each week, and this week we were to shuttle up
the mountain, and ride one of my favorite trails up on our ski hill,
called Stack Rock. Fine and dandy, except I get to the park and
discover I've left my shoes at home. No time to go get em, so what's
a guy to do?

So, to make a long story short, I throw on my running shoes, (at least
I had them in the rig), and load he party cooler, and accompany the
gang of about 7 up the hill. We get there, unload, start grinning,
and it's a new, happenin deal for 3 of our happy campers. They were in
for a treat.

Alex gets to ride his brand new Stumpjumper, and it's looking way too
bling. I'm glad the woodsy trails are dusty, for his sake, of course.

I decide to run it, (well, jog it, really) along with the group, and
let them get ahead. I love the trail, the exercise is great, and what
more can a guy do?

The first section is aptly named, "Entrance Exam" which is pretty
tricky on a bike, but not bad at all on foot.

I go about 3 miles running sweep with Commander Fred, who's slower
than the rest, but hey, he's got 35 to 40 yrs on the young pups in our
group, for the love of Pete. And then we turn around, get to eat and
drink, tell jokes for about 10 minutes before the rest of the happy
band of brothers (and sister) struggle and emerge out of Entrance
Exam. They made it all the way to the famous "Stack Rock" complete
with a little bouldering scramble up to a pinnacle for views and
brews.. well, views anyway.

I'd much rather have ridden it, but sometimes you just have to make
the best out of the cards you're dealt, you know?? What a great
night.

CDB

Only little beeeeOtches need shuttling, even me & Cherry Blossom agree
on that... you little beeeeeOtch...

Is every trail outside the back door of your group home, or do you
ever take the group home activity bus to a trailhead?

Is that concept too complicated for you to grasp?? Don't bother if it
is. I dont' want you to hurt yourself thinking too hard. Have a nice
day, sunshine.

CDB

Old August 25th 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
LIBERATOR

On Aug 24, 4:10 pm, Paladin wrote:
[...]

Fred the retarded shuttle bug...

Old August 25th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jimbo(san)

On Aug 24, 5:35 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:

Doc said the herniated discs weren't bad enough to require surgery....too
bad one cannot convey level of pain directly. I could live with the pain if
the power remained in my legs but losing my hill climbing ability really
puts me at a disadvantage since my technoskills suck.

Also tell Alex congrats on the new wheels.

GAry

I went through a herniated disc and I can sympathize with the pain. I
took a lot of time off the bike, took up other activities that didn't
aggravate my back
and learned to take it slow. I didn't push myself to the point of
pain.
I have returned to biking and feel great again...
Good luck and get well

Jimbo(san)

Old August 25th 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"MattB" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

Well.......not completely off the bike. I did a 25 mile flat path ride (250
feet of total elevation gain) this morning in 1.5 hrs on the SB w/knobbies.
The last 4 or 5 miles really hurt but mentally I feel a lot better. I tried
not to push too hard but when that female roadie passed me.......I bumped it
up to 21.5±? mph to stay with her for a couple of miles then she turned off.
Nice view!

It was just to nice of a day not to ride. Overcast, light drizzling and
78°F.

Gary

Old August 25th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 24, 8:44 pm, "Jimbo(san)" wrote:
On Aug 24, 5:35 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:

Doc said the herniated discs weren't bad enough to require surgery....too
bad one cannot convey level of pain directly. I could live with the pain if
the power remained in my legs but losing my hill climbing ability really
puts me at a disadvantage since my technoskills suck.

Also tell Alex congrats on the new wheels.

GAry

I went through a herniated disc and I can sympathize with the pain. I
took a lot of time off the bike, took up other activities that didn't
aggravate my back
and learned to take it slow. I didn't push myself to the point of
pain.
I have returned to biking and feel great again...
Good luck and get well

Jimbo(san)

Hey Jimbo! Thought of you and Missus a bit today at the Tour de Fat
bike festival where I saw lots of fixies, and we had lots of beer.
The cruiser parade through town had about 1500 bikes (wow!) and was a
ton of fun. Melinda and I did the tandem again, and I'll post some
links to phtotos soon. Hi to Carla.

http://www.newbelgium.com/vibe_tourdefat_boise_06.php

CDB