RR: Saturday above Santa Fe

Old August 28th 07, 05:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
NotaKnob

Default RR: Saturday above Santa Fe

A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio. Pajarito and Guaje can wait until next month. As
most of the climb is on a fire road, we dropped one vehicle in En
Medio and took the other up Pacheco Canyon as far as my Civic would
go. Since that part of the climb would have been in high desert, it
was an easy decision.

We climbed the fireroad up Pacheco Canyon and topped out at the ski
resort. It's a steady climb of about 6 miles on fireroad, 2 miles on
the paved road. After a short break, we started down Rio En Medio.

The top section gets nasty right after the first gate crossing. Baby
heads mixed with roots and steep.

After the first section of the descent, things mellowed out a little

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/276...5258127_rs.jpg

After that there's a few long and swoopy sections

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/248...0132388_rs.jpg

Conditions were just about perfect with the stream flowing enough to
add background.

http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/250...9896995_rs.jpg

RCC was enjoying the easy switchbacks before things got technical

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/265...7394335_rs.jpg

I was concentrating on the trail

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/227...4451220_rs.jpg

That paid off later when we started to drop altitude in the
switchbacks and and my fork was bottoming out. That three inches of
travel doesn't go far anymore.

http://aycu09.webshots.com/image/269...8057830_rs.jpg

It didn't matter, as the trail at this point is steep enough that if
you don't go over the bars, you can just roll through most of the
rocks.

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/258...5973340_rs.jpg

RCC didn't sweat it on the 5-Spot

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/274...7529730_rs.jpg

The switchbacks are bunched together. Nothing like steep switchbacks

http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/259...1964482_rs.jpg

followed by root/rock drops

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/274...4357770_rs.jpg

I skipped that one as I needed to take the photo.

In the back of your head you know you need to make the next turn.

http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/234...4579404_rs.jpg

And the next one.

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/251...5744935_rs.jpg

Then there's the obligatory poser shot at the waterfall.

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/268...0542436_rs.jpg

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/249...2886436_rs.jpg

The trail has a few more technical spots and a short section through
the stream before it drops back into En Medio but that's it for
pictures.

Bruce

Old August 28th 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

NotaKnob wrote:
A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio. Pajarito and Guaje can wait until next month. As
most of the climb is on a fire road, we dropped one vehicle in En
Medio and took the other up Pacheco Canyon as far as my Civic would
go. Since that part of the climb would have been in high desert, it
was an easy decision.

Nice stuff. I need to make plans to spend a weekend south of the border
(the Colorado border).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 28th 07, 05:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
â–€Slack

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:42:41 -0700, NotaKnob wrote:

[...]

Killer stuff. That exactly my kind of trail... thanks for the RR.

BTW, nice farmer john tan
--
Slack
Old August 28th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 27, 10:42 pm, NotaKnob wrote:
[...]

Great looking trails. All day on that kind of stuff, and you'd be
tired..

CDB

Old August 28th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

NotaKnob wrote:
A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio. Pajarito and Guaje can wait until next month. As
most of the climb is on a fire road, we dropped one vehicle in En
Medio and took the other up Pacheco Canyon as far as my Civic would
go. Since that part of the climb would have been in high desert, it
was an easy decision.

We climbed the fireroad up Pacheco Canyon and topped out at the ski
resort. It's a steady climb of about 6 miles on fireroad, 2 miles on
the paved road. After a short break, we started down Rio En Medio.

snip

That trail looks like a full body workout. Nice!

Matt
Old August 28th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Aug 28, 12:42 am, NotaKnob wrote:
[...]

I've been down it a few times. Nice stuff indeed. I'm going to be out
there again during Thanksgiving weekend. Can't wait.

Scott

Old August 28th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Saturday above Santa Fe

"NotaKnob" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Great stuff. I hate switchbacks cuz I suck so much on the right hands.
Looks like I wooda been walking some......or a lot.

Gary

Old August 28th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
shawn

NotaKnob wrote:
A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio. Pajarito and Guaje can wait until next month. As
most of the climb is on a fire road, we dropped one vehicle in En
Medio and took the other up Pacheco Canyon as far as my Civic would
go. Since that part of the climb would have been in high desert, it
was an easy decision.

snip

Nice RR
This is a great pic, serious concentrating going on the

http://aycu09.webshots.com/image/269...8057830_rs.jpg

Yikes! I know what that would look like from over the bars:

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/274...4357770_rs.jpg

Shawn
Old August 29th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Aug 27, 9:42 pm, NotaKnob wrote:
A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio.

snip
The trail has a few more technical spots and a short section through
the stream before it drops back into En Medio but that's it for
pictures.

Bruce

Great stuff, Bruce. Way to get out there.

JD

Old August 29th 07, 01:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 27, 9:42 pm, NotaKnob wrote:
A friend and I were planning on riding the lift at Pajarito in Los
Alamos on Saturday but made a last minute change of plans and chose to
ride Rio En Medio.

snip
The trail has a few more technical spots and a short section through
the stream before it drops back into En Medio but that's it for
pictures.

Bruce

Great stuff, Bruce. Way to get out there.

Definitely. And after reading R-A-Ls last report, Moab's death march on
Spokejunkies, and Bruce's report I'm embarassed to put last weekend's report
up. So I'll leave you all with this:

Southern Sierras bliss (can you spot the Freak?):
http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/horse_meadow/camp.jpg

Oh, here's another to tantalize you:
http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/horse_meadow/bill1.jpg

And, no, the revolution will not be publicized.

Greg
--
Ticketmaster sucks, but everyone knows that:
http://ticketmastersucks.org

thank you Santa daddy Mountain Biking 2 December 17th 06 01:56 PM
when santa comes bob watkinson UK 6 December 27th 04 12:14 AM
Santa came! Bill Sornson General 10 December 25th 04 02:48 PM
Santa Cruz Muni ride - Saturday, Nov 27th corbin Unicycling 8 November 24th 04 06:45 AM