Tire recommedations needed

Old March 21st 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Tire recommedations needed

landotter wrote:
On Mar 21, 12:06 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:36 am, landotter wrote:

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW.

No, they stock models by Kenda and Innova as well. They're OUT OF
stock on those at the moment, but the Kenda has an ETA of Friday. No
ETA on the Innova. Either way, the Conti's the better choice.

They listed the Kendas wrong, didn't see them under city tires. All
three tires are old fashioned thick gumwalls, not that there's
anything wrong with that. My choice would be cheapo Kendas with Mr.
Tuffys.

Since you brought it up, I've often wondered what the advantage is to
"gumwalls". They're a lot heavier, have more RR, what's the up side?
Old March 21st 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
WhiteTea wrote:

I have a ' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

Read all the writing on the tire. Does one of the following
numbers appear?

622
559
635
630
597
590
584

These are ISO rim size measurements/designations.
They actually correlate with a real world dimension.
Once you get used to them (not difficult) your tire
buying experience will be better.

Here is the complete list:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html

--
Michael Press
Old March 21st 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Tire recommendations needed

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
WhiteTea wrote:

[...]

If I were in charge, all tires, tubes and rims would be labeled with ISO
sizing, and ONLY ISO sizing.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 22nd 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 21, 2:59*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Mar 21, 12:06 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:36 am, landotter wrote:

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW.
No, they stock models by Kenda and Innova as well. They're OUT OF
stock on those at the moment, but the Kenda has an ETA of Friday. No
ETA on the Innova. Either way, the Conti's the better choice.

They listed the Kendas wrong, didn't see them under city tires. All
three tires are old fashioned thick gumwalls, not that there's
anything wrong with that. My choice would be cheapo Kendas with Mr.
Tuffys.

Since you brought it up, I've often wondered what the advantage is to
"gumwalls". They're a lot heavier, have more RR, what's the up side?

You can run them at 10psi and scuff them on curbs and generally abuse
them. Good for parallel parking. I hate the way they ride. ;-)
Old March 22nd 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 21, 3:10*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*WhiteTea wrote:

[...]

How many different 20" BSDs are there?
Old March 22nd 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

depends on jow you ride. ifn ura sedate and upwrought try a Panaracer
Messenger rear tire with a Specialized thornproof tube then upfront a
Conti TT again with Spec thornproof.
ifn you ride vigorously or more so then 2 Conti TT with liners and
Spec thornproofs.
Use talc. keep a beady eye on tire pressures with Conti adding 20
punds if your weight is above avarage
..tire liners require liner rotation every uunnnnghghg 500 miles ?? the
joint degrades the tube probabbbly cawsing failures.
when pouting here try really hard not whinning and groveling endlessly
about not spending 35 bucks on a tire. the tire on a bicycle is the
whole deal. if you blow the tire approach the the rest is meaningless.
tires are everything in cycling.
and Conti, Panaracer and Schwalbe et al manaufacture and design
excellent tires. Conti is remarkable for offering a niche tire for
every purpose.
Old March 22nd 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

tap TIRES in column left

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=30332
Old March 22nd 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
WhiteTea wrote:
[...]

Please Honor The Signature Separator, i.e. "-- ".

How many different 20" BSDs are there?

Three (3), which is better than the seven (7) "26-inch" sizes:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html.

I have had LBS clerks try to sell my ISO 451-mm tubes and tires when I
wanted ISO 406-mm. Similarly, I have had to explain that the ISO 349-mm
tire or tube they bring out is not what I am looking for when I ask for
ISO 305-mm.

Old March 22nd 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 21, 5:14 pm, datakoll wrote:
tap TIRES in column left

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=30332

My recent shameless plug for biketiresdirect was in response to their
phenomenal service when I really needed it (urgently needed new
neoprene booties - biketiresdirect practically gave them to me for
free, and delivered via standard shipping in 1 day :-)

That experience came right on the heels of ordering in-stock items
from universalcycles on a Tuesday night, which they didn't even get
out the door until Friday, which meant I didn't have the stuff I
needed for weekend service on my commuter :-(

YMMV
Old March 22nd 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

universal's people are ugly unwashed criminal weasel vermin but the
catalog
shamelessly hyperlinked, is outstanding. The needy can go (expletive
deleted) from UC's catalog to individual sites then reviews online
Reminding the Road Bike magazine's link is forgotten: anyone remind ?