Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

Old January 6th 11, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

On 1/5/2011 10:08 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
On 1/4/2011 11:50 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

snip

ssibly. For example, you may try some of the links at this page:
http://www.neuroskills.com/tbi/cdcbikeorganize.shtml

Thanks, that's a good list of references.

First of course is the Thompson, Rivara, & Thompson study which has
become the holy grail, since it was conducted in such a statistically
and scientifically sound manner (which is of course why the AHZs despise
it!).

Is Scharf off his anti-delusional medication?

However as has been stated numerous times, that study only looked at
helmeted versus non-helmeted cyclists that actually sought treatment.
While it would have been inappropriate for them to make guesses of the
number of medical visits that didn't take place at all due to the
cyclist's helmet reducing or completely preventing injuries, we all know
that that's almost certainly what happened in a significant number of
cases.

http://www.bitseekers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/manure1.png

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 6th 11, 08:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/5/2011 10:51 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 1/5/2011 11:10 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Once again, **** you!

That's what a person says when they realize they're no good at logic.

You seem to encounter an inordinate amount of people that are no good at
logic.

Hazard of Usenet posting.

Old January 6th 11, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/5/2011 3:13 PM, James StewarD wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

And why do the people posting here who worry about bike head injuries
not worry as much about car head injuries?

I have never been injured in a car accident.

I have been injured multiple times in cycling accidents.

Ask Jay also.

Wow, a sample size of N = 2 ! ! !

Old January 6th 11, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/5/2011 5:49 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 1/4/2011 10:02 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
I've tried banning poutine and my son revolted. It's a nationalist
thing.

Poutine is the president of Canada.

- Dubya

That one went over my head...

"In a Talking to Americans segment on the television series This Hour
Has 22 Minutes during the 2000 American election, Rick Mercer convinced
then-governor of Texas George W. Bush that Canada's Prime Minister, Jean
Chrétien, was named Jean Poutine and that he was supporting Bush's
candidacy." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine.

Old January 6th 11, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jan 6, 6:33*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/5/2011 3:13 PM, James StewarD wrote: Frank Krygowski wrote:

And why do the people posting here who worry about bike head injuries
not worry as much about car head injuries?

I have never been injured in a car accident.

I have been injured multiple times in cycling accidents.

Ask Jay also.

Wow, a sample size of N = 2 ! ! !

Would you like to find some statistics of people who cycle and drive a
car who have suffered head injuries from either mode of transport?

Personal experience is enough for me to know that cycling is
dangerous, and that for me at least, wearing a helmet is not difficult
nor a discomfort and may improve my chances of survival should I
bounce my scone off a hard surface. Whether I have 10 cycling
accidents where I only suffer a grazes and bruises and 1 car accident
that kills me remains to be seen.

JS.
Old January 6th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 1/6/2011 2:35 AM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 1/5/2011 5:49 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 1/4/2011 10:02 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
I've tried banning poutine and my son revolted. It's a nationalist
thing.

Poutine is the president of Canada.

- Dubya

That one went over my head...

"In a Talking to Americans segment on the television series This Hour
Has 22 Minutes during the 2000 American election, Rick Mercer convinced
then-governor of Texas George W. Bush that Canada's Prime Minister, Jean
Chrétien, was named Jean Poutine and that he was supporting Bush's
candidacy." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine.

Ah. I actually saw that, it just didn't click. Does Iowa get "This
hour" and the RMR?
Old January 6th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/5/2011 1:13 PM, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

And why do the people posting here who worry about bike head injuries
not worry as much about car head injuries?

I have never been injured in a car accident.

I have been injured multiple times in cycling accidents.

Ask Jay also.

In any case, it's a ridiculous analogy. A car has a reinforced steel
frame, impact absorbing dash, air bags (including side curtain air
bags), safety glass, plus lap and shoulder belts. Adding a helmet to all
that isn't going to do much. The accidents that are not survivable are
still not going to be survivable.

Don't forget that measured per trip or per mile, cycling has a far
higher injury and fatality rate than driving. On a per mile basis,
cycling is about eleven times as risky as driving. On a per trip basis,
cycling is about three times as risky as driving. Before you get too
upset about these numbers, remember that they really are irrelevant, and
were only brought up show the idiocy of the whole "driving helmet"
premise which is unfailingly brought up on every web site railing
illogically against bicycle helmets.

Any time one of the AHZs brings up car helmets, walking helmets, or
gardening helmets, it's an indication that they admit that they've lost
the debate based on facts and logic, and have descended into
fantasy--"foam hats" will not be far behind!

The best thing to do for the facts about bicycle helmets is to type
"bicycle helmets google" into the Google search box. If "instant" is not
on, click on "I'm Feeling Lucky." If instant _is_ on, the first result
is what you want.
Old January 6th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 1/6/2011 10:55 AM, SMS wrote:

The best thing to do for the facts about bicycle helmets is to type
"bicycle helmets google" into the Google search box. If "instant" is not
on, click on "I'm Feeling Lucky." If instant _is_ on, the first result
is what you want.

Sort of like the Shameless Commerce Division on Car Talk isn't it?

Anyway, who would post concerns about auto injuries on a cycling news group?
Old January 6th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

James StewarD wrote:
I have never been injured in a car accident.
I have been injured multiple times in cycling accidents.
Ask Jay also.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
Wow, a sample size of N = 2 ! ! !

Make that three.

I've never been injured in any of several car wrecks, even
two 'totals'[1]. I've suffered several injuries, none to the
top of my head, in many bike crashes. I was not killed using
any type of vehicle, so far as I know. I wore a bicycle
helmet one day at insistence of the tandem owner and a
Cinelli hairnet during the street riots in my youth. Neither
turned out to be necessary.

In a random survey, 100% of one respondent was bored with
helmet discussions. So there.

[1] no seat belts in any.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 6th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
Wow, a sample size of N = 2 ! ! !

Make that three.

I've never been injured in any of several car wrecks, even two
'totals'[1]. I've suffered several injuries, none to the top of my head,
in many bike crashes. I was not killed using any type of vehicle, so far
as I know. I wore a bicycle helmet one day at insistence of the tandem
owner and a Cinelli hairnet during the street riots in my youth. Neither
turned out to be necessary.

In a random survey, 100% of one respondent was bored with helmet
discussions. So there.

Make that two respondents.