Wheel weight

Old March 8th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Wheel weight

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:37:59 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned this...

Ummm... you have to ask. We can't read your thoughts.

What frustrates me about GPS is
the lack of context. When I'm following a paper map, I automatically get
a wide area view. With the GPS, I know when to turn and I can see what's
very nearby on the tiny display map, but I don't know what else is
nearby yet out of the display's range.

Welcome to the weird world of augmented reality.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=3d+gps+augmented+reality
The tags on the screen show business names, landmarks, hazards,
billboards, etc based upon whatever location database is in use.
Locally, the public works department uses augmented reality to overlay
the location of buried pipes, sewers, fiber, and power lines. I did
some tinkering last year with a database of rock formations overlaid
on the ground and hills. Cool stuff.

It's a common topic in GPS World magazine:
https://www.gpsworld.com/?s=augmented+reality

The problem with AR is that it works best when the user/operator
interacts with the viewing device. That fine except when your driving
a car or riding a bicycle. The user interface seems to be the current
tech roadblock. Eye tracking, accelerometer head tracking, and Google
Glass, projection systems, etc are all being investigated.

You can attach an external camera, position sensor, and accelerometers
to your handlebars, and use a HUD (heads up display).
https://www.google.com/search?q=heads+up+display+gps+augmented+reality&tb m=isch

Actually, it already exist:
"Heads-Up Display for Cyclists: Everysight Raptor Glasses Review"
https://gearjunkie.com/everysight-raptor-ar-cycling-glasses-review
https://everysight.com

This might also be a good excuse to get an aero wind screen for your
bicycle (as in recumbent bicycles) and project the map display on the
wind screen. Maybe make it look somewhat military which should
discourage irritating motorists from approaching too closely lest they
get a gasoline sniffing missile up their tailpipe as they pass.

If you don't want to wait for technology to catch up with your
expectations, I suggest you purchase a tablet computah with a bigger
display and more dots, and somehow attach it to your handlebars.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 8th 19, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 19:49:35 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

If you don't want to wait for technology to catch up with your
expectations, I suggest you purchase a tablet computah with a bigger
display and more dots, and somehow attach it to your handlebars.

It's a bunch easier to print out a map snippet and put it into my
pocket.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old March 8th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

If you don't want to wait for technology to catch up with your
expectations, I suggest you purchase a tablet computah with a bigger
display and more dots, and somehow attach it to your handlebars.

It's a bunch easier to print out a map snippet and put it into my
pocket.

That works well if you have a color laser printer. It fails miserably
with a monochrome printer, where all the color detail becomes
invisible, and with a color inkjet printout, which runs and smears
when wet or sweaty.

For my limited bicycle riding, I don't really need a map. However,
when I go on service calls in my car, I often print a map to help with
the navigation. Unfortunately, I only have monochrome laser printers
at home and in the office, so reading the maps is a challenge.
Invariably, I need to see something that is off the edge of the
printed snippet.

There's also the problem of distracted driving. While looking at a
tablet or laptop while driving is certainly a distraction, doing the
same with a printed map does not constitute an improvement. Projecting
a map on the wind screen is an even worse distraction.

Perhaps a driverless car (or bicycle) running on autopilot?

Old March 8th 19, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't understand these problems.

Our county engineer gives away free maps. The next county south charges
maybe a buck for them. And for wider area rides, AAA gives away a nice
map covering Northeast Ohio at a scale of about 3.5 miles to the inch.
Using those and others, I can navigate almost anywhere. In extreme
cases, I may have to stop to read the map - but whose life is so tightly
scheduled that a two-minute stop is intolerable?

GPS is certainly a convenience in some cases, like inner-city traffic in
a strange place; but life existed before GPS.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:
GPS based cycling computers with navagation capabilities is one of
the best and niciest cycling accesory IMO. Everything in one unit,
never have to stop to look at a map, automatic logging and
uploading, easy swap between bikes, clean cockpit, user definable
datafield (number and content). What is there not to like?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R11bCJx9DAaYHuDQA (map, cadence and power)

Since nobody else has mentioned this: What frustrates me about GPS is
the lack of context. When I'm following a paper map, I automatically
get a wide area view. With the GPS, I know when to turn and I can see
what's very nearby on the tiny display map, but I don't know what else
is nearby yet out of the display's range.

I admit to being a Luddite -- I avoid GPS, because of my worse than
average sense of direction. Were I to use it for everyday navigation I
would never learn my away around. Being fed directions turn by turn,
without the larger context, just does not allow my mind to build an
internal map.

After I get lost a few times, and look up where I have been on a map,
then I can find my way around.

I'm left with the feeling that I haven't really _been_ there. Also, it
removes the possibility of interesting but spontaneous side trips.

For me, this applies much more to driving, because I rarely use a GPS
while bicycling. I generally plan my bicycling route (perhaps using
some online resources) then follow paper maps as I ride. Those are in
my handlebar bag for easy access. And if I see some particularly
charming little road as I'm riding, I may use the map to see if I
should use it instead of what I had planned.

I pull out my phone's GPS only if there's some confusion.

Old March 8th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:40:43 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

I considered getting a GPS unit for my fire/mining/logging road tours in Northern Ontario Canada, because missing a turnoff to another road or trail can mean miles of more bicycling which is not the nicest thing to have to do when it's hot and humid or pouring rain. I can see where a GPS unit could be helpful even if it was turned off for most of a ride and then turned on just to fix one's current position. I think that'd extend the battery life quite a bit. Then again, perhaps my thinking about how a GPS unit works is wrong?

Cheers
Old March 8th 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:12:36 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I considered getting a GPS unit for my fire/mining/logging road tours
in Northern Ontario Canada, because missing a turnoff to another road
or trail can mean miles of more bicycling which is not the nicest thing
to have to do when it's hot and humid or pouring rain.

when does it ever get hot an humid in northern ontario?

Old March 8th 19, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

I didn't know a but one single route when I came to. So I spent a good deal of time lost in an area I grew up and lived the better part of my life. I've had to work at it to gain my sense of direction again. It is sort of surprising that this isn't a north-south thing since none of the road signs make sense - if you take 580 south you're going north-east so without actually traveling on these things and getting a sense of them all over again you can get lost in an instant.

I was driving on a road I knew and turned right. Before long I was out in the middle of nowhere. I don't remember there being a road there but I knew that eventually I would end up somewhere I recognized and finally I did. You have to be very careful after all of the fires and then heavy rain. Quite a few small roads are closed. And if you try to back out of the narrow part someone always comes up behind you and blocks your way. Better on a bike.

Old March 8th 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:16:23 PM UTC-5, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:12:36 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I considered getting a GPS unit for my fire/mining/logging road tours
in Northern Ontario Canada, because missing a turnoff to another road
or trail can mean miles of more bicycling which is not the nicest thing
to have to do when it's hot and humid or pouring rain.

when does it ever get hot an humid in northern ontario?

Lots of days especially when riding in wooded areas!

Cheers