Daily workout

Old August 18th 07, 05:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
chasw

Default Daily workout

I used to be a trail runner, but years of pounding the pavement caused one
of my feet to give out. Now I ride an entry level MTB, a Trek 4300 hardtail
with disc brakes, for the exercise. My daily workout is 3.2 miles and about
650 ft elevation gain, according to my topo map, with occasional longer
rides on Saturday.

Most of my daily route is on pavement in my neighborhood, but at the top of
the hill, I switch to an 1890s mining road that drops about 400 ft in ¾ of a
mile. Sort of a wide singletrack, popular with local hikers, it has
boulders, wet clay, some narrow spots and some fast spots. I ride most of
it up on the pedals, modulating the brakes, careful to avoid a spill. The
bike takes the modest pounding just fine, brakes work great.

This daily ride usually starts before 6 AM and I tend to take this trail
route as long as there is enough light and no snow. I won't ride in the
snow, all too often it covers hidden ice. I'm not hardcore, I only started
a year ago, but I feel fortunate having a nice little trail so close to
home. - CW

Old August 18th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Steve Baker[_2_]

chasw wrote:
I used to be a trail runner, but years of pounding the pavement caused one
of my feet to give out. Now I ride an entry level MTB, a Trek 4300 hardtail
with disc brakes, for the exercise.

snip

I'm not hardcore, I only started
a year ago, but I feel fortunate having a nice little trail so close to
home. - CW

You are indeed fortunate, Chas. Enjoy what you have - it is SO much
better than the alternatives ;-)
Old August 19th 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 18, 10:46 am, "chasw" wrote:
[...]

Cycling's a great alternative to running, due to no pounding on the
joints. When the weather's bad, your options are still endless, for
example, ole buddy Ross has a few suggestions:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/thehomegym.html

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...igheffect.html

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/indooroptions.html

and 50 of these with the plyo jump added are worth *several* miles of
riding: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy3.htm

Ride on, ride hard, ride free.

CDB

Old August 19th 07, 06:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
â–€Slack

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:53:51 -0700, Paladin wrote:

On Aug 18, 10:46 am, "chasw" wrote:
[...]

Tell your buddy, Ross, he needs to switch to decaf!

I almost hurt myself just watch that
--
Slack

what a workout! howdigetsogood Unicycling 6 June 11th 07 02:05 PM
RR: A Winter Workout! Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 3 January 20th 06 01:18 AM
Gym Workout - Any Point? Mike the Unshavable UK 17 November 21st 05 07:22 PM
Full-body workout? WeatherGuy General 13 June 18th 05 03:29 PM
cooling down after workout chris c General 4 March 10th 05 08:21 PM