Pirouette/Spinning

Old March 12th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tandemflame

Default Pirouette/Spinning

Hi, Is there anyone out there who could tell me what the process is for
learning to Pirouette or Spin. I have not come across anyone yet in my
local group that can - but there must be loads in the Birmingham area
who can.

Even a good video may help.

Thanks

--
tandemflame
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

Start with a skinny tire that can take high pressure. I use a 28" (it's
really 27") X 1 1/4" Continental Contact tire. It doesn't have much
tread. I pump it up to about 80 or 90 psi.
Find some level, dry, smooth asphalt or smooth cement. Tennis courts
are great. Rough surfaces provide too much drag and inconsistent
friction. Stay away from surfaces with gravel or sand on them. You
might slip on them.
Smooth, consistent and light friction are important qualities to seek
out in the Tire/Ground interface.
Start riding straight ahead and turn into an ever-tightening circle.
When you reach that certain point of going fast and turning fast, just
give it a ZIP! and start spinning.
I can pretty consistently make about three rotations and ride out of
it. If I nail it just right I might get 5. It's kind of hard to keep
count at that point. The dizziness overwhelms my rudimentary counting
ability. I swear that I did 6 once. Total fluke I'm sure. No one has
ever filmed me doing it, so I can't verify any of this.
Sometimes I feel that I pirouette a little better if there is an ever
so slight slope to the ground. I like to make my entrance into the
tight spinning phase on the up hill. Don't know why.
Oh yeah, don't forget to lean UP!

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

Here's 2 videos of me learning spins and pirouettes,

http://tinyurl.com/ywqeex

--
surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,
My Youtube Videos, Watch Them!
Latest Vid: Chicago Uni 3
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66131

Mikefule wrote:

Cross country is when you risk getting lost. Muni is when you risk
death.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Remember, a spin is when you ride around and around, keeping a circle
size of about 1 meter or less. Three times around to complete one
"spin" by the IUF Standard Skill rules.

A pirouette is when you're rotating on one spot, with no pedaling at
all. You generally have to start with a spin and wind it into the
center for a pirouette. Again, three rotations on one spot for a
complete IUF pirouette under the Standard Skill rules.

If you don't have a nice indoor surface to practice on, use lots of
tire pressure and look for the smoothest pavement you can find.
Sometimes, having a little sand sprinkled on the pavement makes it
easier, but too much will make it too slippery. A little bit will
loosen things up and also help your tire to last longer.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
$unidude$chad$:)

try to saty over just one point and let the rest of youe body go around
it(tha'ts how i think of it)

--
$unidude$chad$

Chad Miedel
http://www.usenet.com

Learning to pirouette surfer1024 Unicycling 10 February 27th 07 03:34 PM
spinning jas0n UK 16 February 14th 05 04:44 PM
Pirouette caw89 Unicycling 16 November 13th 04 11:50 PM
Spinning Pan Man UK 3 November 30th 03 11:35 PM