Flying to New Zealand (Unicon 15)

Old November 28th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Default Flying to New Zealand (Unicon 15)

I'n considering to attend Unicon 15 in Wellington, New Zealand (Dec 2009
- Jan 2010). From the Netherlands I could only find a triple-legged
flight: Amsterdam - London - Sydney - Wellington. Does anyone know of a
departure airport close to the Netherlands where I could skip one
transfer?

--
Klaas Bil
Old November 28th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfox001

you can fly from London to Sydney??
that is insane

I used to live in Switzerland and people used to fly from London to
Singapore and then Singapore to Sidney.
But ya...thats a long way to fly
i dont think there is a faster way

--
zfox001
Old November 29th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JLo

Hello,

I found this page, but it is in german. But I think for Klaas it is
ok.

www.neuseeland.de
There you can read that London is the only airport in europe with a
direct flight to Auckland. The plane stops in Los Angeles, but you don't
have to change the plane if I undersand it right.
But I think it is not funny to sit 22h in your seat.
So we will look for a 1 or 2 stop flight from Düsseldorf or Frankfurt.
They stops normaly in Dubai, Sinagpoure or somewhere in china.
So you can run around in the airport after 6-10 hours flight.

--
JLo

Sponsor:'POINT RACING TEAM' (http://www.pointbike.de)

'Einradhockeyliga' (http://www.einradhockeyliga.de)
Old November 29th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Thanks Jan. Indeed -ohne Umsteigen -in Los Angeles. I also note they go
the longer direction around the world, although it's not very much of a
difference. However, from Auckland to Wellington is another 500 km or
so. In effect still a three-legged flight for me (A - L - A - W). But
the distance is so large that I probably have to live with that.

--
Klaas Bil
Old November 29th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

I don't know in there, but most planes here stops in London, them
Sidney, and finally New Zeland. There are some that goes trough the
pacific (Cheaper for me I think!)

--
pedrotejada

'*Kris Holm Unicycles*' (http://www.krisholm.com)

*Brazilian Unicycling Team*
Old November 29th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ThisGuyIKnow

The thing is Wellington is the more minor city to fly into in New
Zealand so you have to fly through Sydney or Auckland. I can't even find
a direct flight from Los Angeles to Wellington, so there is little
option to cut a leg off the journey at that end. The only options I can
find from Europe to Sydney or Auckland are via London or Frankfurt.
Although it seems the flights to Auckland actually stop over in Los
Angeles or San Francisco, making it really a 4 leg flight.

It seems one other option you have is to fly through San Francisco or
Los Angeles, but that's still a 3 leg flight.

--
ThisGuyIKnow
Old November 29th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ThisGuyIKnow

From Klaas Bil's thread about flights from Amsterdam to Wellington. I
was doing some research on flights from Europe and it seems many
European unicyclists might have stop overs in Los Angeles.

Might there be interest in arranging some sort of a Los Angeles
Unicycle Stop over for Unicon Bound travelers.

If enough people were interested in making a day or 2 stop over maybe
we could arrange something.

It might be possible to arrange home stays, rides, and sightseeing with
local Southern California riders.

Maybe the costs of extending a lay over would be too high to make it
worthwhile. I don't know.

Is there any interest in this from the local Southern California riders
and any unicyclists that might be travelling through Los Angeles for
Unicon?

--
ThisGuyIKnow
Old November 29th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

there used to be direct flights from Sydney to Wellington, but you'd
probably have to book that seperately...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old November 29th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

mikepenton;1140113 wrote:
there used to be direct flights from Sydney to Wellington, but you'd
probably have to book that seperately...

The itinerary I mentioned in my initial post
(Amsterdam-London-Sydney-Wellington) includes the direct flight you
mention, and I can book it as one ticket (albeit not more than one year
ahead).

--
Klaas Bil
Old November 30th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

I've added a bit more info on the Unicon XV website: www.uniconxv.co.nz

We've got a Unicon XV forum up also which might be a good place to keep
discussions in one place (although I know RSU has way more traffic).
There will be more NZ riders that frequent those forums if you need a
hand with accomodation/planning your holiday.

As for flying into Wellington....it is an international airport, but
has a very short runway, so only takes international flights from
Australia. For bigger planes, you have to fly via Auckland or
Christchurch.

There are quite a few connections from Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong
and around SE Asia. For travel from Europe, main flights seem to travel
via London-Hong Kong-Auckland. Obviously depends on your airline
though.

For the US, there are direct flights from LA-Auckland with Air NZ.

Hope that helps.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

New Zealand lodging wowunicycle Unicycling 8 August 26th 08 04:12 AM
UNICON XV: Wellington, New Zealand 2009/2010 GizmoDuck Unicycling 24 March 7th 08 03:54 AM
Uk Unicon Riders - Who is flying from Bristol? unicycleboy Unicycling 7 February 27th 06 06:42 PM
New Zealand Doper inconnu Racing 0 November 25th 04 10:22 PM
Unicycles in New Zealand JJuggle Unicycling 6 October 28th 03 12:10 AM