What size uni to start on?

Old December 2nd 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tfpoke

Default What size uni to start on?

My 13 year old daughter and an 11 year old nephew are learning to ride.
I've learned on a 24' uni and that's all I've ever been on. I bought a
20" uni for my daughters, but have never ridden it, fearing I would blow
out the tire. Which one do you recommend for the kids to learn on?

Thanks in advance.

--
tfpoke
Old December 2nd 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

I would definitely recommend the 20" for your daughters assuming that it
is of decent quality, because 20" is the best size to learn on, even for
adults. 'Proof.' (http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm)
'Longer proof.' (http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn.htm)

Why are you afraid of blowing out the tyre? Lots of adults happily ride
20" unis. Unless you're exceptionally heavy or the unicycle is crappy.
Any regular 20" will do. Now that you have one, why don't you try?

Edit: and welcome to the forums!

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 2nd 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

I'd recommend this unicycle as the *'perfect starter/learner machine'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634)* my friend.

Check your PM too also.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

*'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)*
Old December 2nd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tfpoke

Klaas Bil;1141527 wrote:
I would definitely recommend the 20" for your daughters assuming that it
is of decent quality, because 20" is the best size to learn on, even for
adults. 'Proof.' (http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm)
'Longer proof.' (http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn.htm)

Why are you afraid of blowing out the tyre? Lots of adults happily ride
20" unis. Unless you're exceptionally heavy or the unicycle is crappy.
Any regular 20" will do. Now that you have one, why don't you try?

Edit: and welcome to the forums!

I weigh 240 lbs. and not sure if I need a "special" tube or tire to be
able to inflate the tire where I don't "flatten" it. My nephew who
weighs 170 lbs. actually blew out the tube this weekend. Will be
looking for a replacement. I was afraid I would blow it out and my
daughter wouldn't have one to ride....

Thanks for the reply, this site looks really cool.

--
tfpoke
Old December 2nd 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

If you weigh 240 lb, you are probably too heavy for the light-duty kids
unicycles like Torker CX series. You might be fine on the Torker LX
series. UDC has some special adult unicycles that might be better.
Here is one they recommend for BIG new users:

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=509

Given the cost of that one I would probably just try one of the solidly
built Nimbus unicycles:

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1057

They also carry 20", but 24" is more fun to ride around on. With a
typical cadence, 20" goes at a walking pace and 24" goes at a jogging
pace.

--
scott ttocs
Old December 2nd 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

tfpoke;1141642 wrote:
My nephew who weighs 170 lbs. actually blew out the tube this weekend.

Eek, to what pressure did you have it inflated?

scott ttocs;1141689 wrote:
I would probably just try one of the solidly built Nimbus unicycles

I second that. I'm about your (tfpoke's) size, and my Nimbus has been
great! Worth every penny.
-Disclaimer: I mainly do road riding, with a little mild offroad, so
the worst drops I see are curbs, gutters, and tree roots.-

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8
Old December 2nd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

tfpoke;1141513 wrote:
My 13 year old daughter and an 11 year old nephew are learning to ride.
I've learned on a 24' uni and that's all I've ever been on. I bought a
20" uni for my daughters, but have never ridden it, fearing I would blow
out the tire. Which one do you recommend for the kids to learn on?

Thanks in advance.

a 20" should be perfect for you daughter and nephew to learn on. I
wouldn't worry about breaking it just riding around yourself even if you
weigh 240 lbs, just don't hop on it or take it off any curbs etc.

How did your nephew blow out the tube? If it went BANG then somehow the
tube got out of the tire, usually from the tire coming partially off the
rim. Usually this happens if the tire was not properly centered on the
rim and has little to do with rider weight.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 2nd 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nickjb

2nd that. Tyres very rarely go pop just because of weight. Usually
there is some other fault (over inflated, not seated, torn wall). I've
ridden mine around with someone on my shoulders.

--
nickjb

*Severn Wheelers.* Bristol's best (and only) unicycle hockey club
Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome
Old December 2nd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tfpoke

nickjb;1141724 wrote:
2nd that. Tyres very rarely go pop just because of weight. Usually
there is some other fault (over inflated, not seated, torn wall). I've
ridden mine around with someone on my shoulders.

Thanks for the reply. What pressures do you guys run in your tires? I
think I had a tire/tube at one time that was good to 65 psi. My 24"
Schwinn has held up well over the past 20 years. Think I bent my pedals
going down stairs once or twice. The frame on the 20" one I have isn't
real "beefy".

Guy here in town has a Cycle Pro 24" uni for sale. You think that
would work ok for my daughter? Looks like it's on the cheaper end of
the spectrum.

--
tfpoke
Old December 2nd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

tfpoke;1141847 wrote:
What pressures do you guys run in your tires?

With this question you're bound to get replies that relate to trials and
MUni. I think you're after tyre pressure for general riding around which
is a totally different game. I'd say the maximum that your tyre is
rated. Common wisdom amongst unicyclists is in fact to go somewhat over
the rated pressure, like 20 - 30% more.

tfpoke;1141847 wrote:
Guy here in town has a Cycle Pro 24" uni for sale. You think that would
work ok for my daughter? Looks like it's on the cheaper end of the
spectrum.

I thought you had bought a 20" for her?

--
Klaas Bil