Gauze fix for a busted tire

Old November 23rd 20, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Gauze fix for a busted tire

On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 5:52:47 p.m. UTC-5, wrote:
Op zondag 22 november 2020 om 16:26:05 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
On 11/21/2020 4:53 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 14:11:08 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op zaterdag 21 november 2020 om 21:59:02 UTC+1 schreef Joerg:
Yesterday it happened again, a tire ruptured and left a gash of an inch
right in the running surface. I still had 17mi to go and the first aid
kit contained the fix: A roll of gauze. I removed the rear brake so it
wouldn't tangle there. Unfortunately the gauze rubbed off the paint
inside the stays behind the BB. Spray paint fixed that. The frame is
blue and I only had gray but, oh well. This is how it looked at the end
of the 17mi:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Gauze.JPG

It held! Also, a hooray for thick thorn-resistant tubes and tire liners.
Without those I wouldn't have made it back riding.

I hope this idea helps someone else. Just be careful with only one brake.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I'm glad you made it home. I was wondering with all the bad luck you have why you don't carry a spare tire. With all the stuff you already carry with you the volume of a foldable tire can't be a problem.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CTZ76CkwKZvW8qAf8

When you home you can take it off and fold it back to put it in one of you bags again. Just an idea.

Lou

Back in the days of "sew up" tires many people carried one or more
spare tires folded and tied under the rear of the seat.
https://tinyurl.com/yyebxhfu

I changed over to just wearing one:
http://bikeraceinfo.com/images-all/t...ppi-e-Robi.jpg

I have done that once. I can't remember the occasion but what I do remember is that it was quite comfortable.

Lou

I too have worn a tubular tire or two and not all that long ago - the summer of 2019. As you've said, it's surprisingly comfortable.

Cheers
Old November 23rd 20, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_6_]

On 22/11/2020 16:25, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Folded under a saddle, they're easy to forget such that the creases and
wear on the edges are a problem

Yeah, in my youf, when I saw through a glass darkly, I bungied one of
these;

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/tyreweld/

Under my saddle for quick puncture fixes (schraeder valves on a
commuter) the result was, how shall I say, both predictable and, ermmm,
messy?

Landis busted, Armstrong busted birdbrain Racing 5 January 19th 13 08:10 AM
Busted! AMuzi Techniques 12 March 27th 11 03:48 AM
busted John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 2 September 30th 08 12:50 AM
busted Mike Vandeman Social Issues 0 March 13th 07 04:12 PM
Busted rim? Eddbmxdude Unicycling 11 March 9th 06 11:12 PM