towing toddler trailer - gears

Old October 23rd 06, 10:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Katharine & Paul

Default towing toddler trailer - gears

Hello all!

Anyone tow one of these???
Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
than the 19 on normal road riding.

I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

Paul

Old October 23rd 06, 11:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Katharine & Paul wrote:
Hello all!

Anyone tow one of these???
Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
than the 19 on normal road riding.

I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

Paul

Depends on the terrain you're in, but around my house it's pretty hilly
and most rides with the trailer bike I get at least some use out of the
28 (front) 26 (rear) combo, especially if my daughter is being lazy.

DaveB
Old October 23rd 06, 12:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Mike

Katharine & Paul wrote:
Hello all!

Anyone tow one of these???
Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

The correct gear is determined by your speed, since legs like a constant
cadence of around 80rpm. Bottom gear means hill-climbing, where speed
is directly proportional to weight, so if 19 is OK normally, 28 should
be plenty with the trailer. Does trailer plus toddler add 50% weight?

HTH.
Old October 23rd 06, 10:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2006-10-23, Katharine & Paul wrote:
Hello all!

Anyone tow one of these???
Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
than the 19 on normal road riding.

I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

Paul

Probably, if it's not you might be able to swap the inner chainring
for a 39 which would give you a large range of low gears, if you're
in Melbourne the CERES bicycle re-cycle shed provide the parts and
know-how to do this much cheaper then a bike store.

Cheers

Joel

Old October 23rd 06, 11:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

Katharine & Paul Wrote:
Hello all!

Anyone tow one of these???
Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42
front
chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use
less
than the 19 on normal road riding.

I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

Paul

Depends on the engine and the terrain really. I use a MTB for mine but
there are no really long big hills where I take it. A big hill into a
strong headwind would have me looking for something lower than 42-28.

Adam

--
adam85

Old October 24th 06, 12:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Katharine & Paul

Probably, if it's not you might be able to swap the inner chainring
for a 39 which would give you a large range of low gears, if you're
in Melbourne the CERES bicycle re-cycle shed provide the parts and
know-how to do this much cheaper then a bike store.

In Warwick - no where near Melbourne unfortunately

Cheers

Joel

Old October 24th 06, 12:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Katharine & Paul

Does trailer plus toddler add 50% weight?

HTH.

It would actually.

I'm about 61kg.

The Toddler is about 12kg at the moment. Trailer about 15kg

Tires on trailer not square -- causing wear? Mike Kruger General 21 September 28th 06 03:54 AM
Trailer Trailer Trailer! wogri Unicycling 19 August 9th 06 02:46 PM
Tanjor Trailer pics Ron Hardin General 6 April 2nd 06 09:00 PM
bike trailer talk (still sort of): The face from xanth (still): bike trip Kent Paul Dolan General 0 June 17th 05 04:35 PM
Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM