Oxford cyclists win again

Old June 16th 04, 12:17 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default Oxford cyclists win again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/3810337.stm

"""
Cyclists win rush-hour challenge

Cyclists have proved the fastest rush-hour commuters in a city centre
challenge between walkers, drivers, cyclists, a bus and a wheelchair.

Everyone taking part was timed from Cowley Road to Oxford train station.

All four cyclists won the challenge, finishing in 10 or 11 minutes, while
a unicyclist and a motorised wheelchair user came joint second in 20
minutes.

Bus users took 21 minutes, while two car drivers took 26 and 34 minutes -
just ahead of the walkers.

Those taking part set off at 0815 BST on Tuesday.

The Cycling Campaign for Oxford, or Cyclox, who organised the event, said
the results mirrored last year's challenge along Oxford's Botley Road.

They hope to repeat the 2.2-mile Cowley Road route next year to see
whether £1m of safety improvements has any effect on the results.

James Styring, Cyclox co-ordinator and organiser of today's event, said:
"Yet again, on a different cross-city route, the bike is quicker than any
other form of transport at peak commuting times."
"""

The accompanying photo is not of a Cowley Road cyclist.

Colin
Old June 16th 04, 12:20 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:17:51 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:
Cyclists win rush-hour challenge

Ah damn, I was expecting a Boat Race revenge event.
Old June 16th 04, 12:30 PM
Robert Bruce

Default OT "Train Station" was: Oxford cyclists win again

mae wedi ysgrifennu:

Everyone taking part was timed from Cowley Road to Oxford train
station.

I was taught at school thirty [cough] years ago that "train station" is a
vulgar Americanism and that "railway station" is the correct term. I note
that the BBC is continuing its project of dumbing down to the level of BSkyB
by employing journalists who are unaware of this. They'll be mis-spelling
"gaol" next...

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.

Old June 16th 04, 12:43 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:30:11 +0100, Robert Bruce
wrote:

mae wedi ysgrifennu:

Everyone taking part was timed from Cowley Road to Oxford train
station.

I was taught at school thirty [cough] years ago that "train station" is a
vulgar Americanism and that "railway station" is the correct term.

Of course an American educated at a similar time and in a similar place
would also consider it vulgar since (their) correct term is railroad
station.

I note
that the BBC is continuing its project of dumbing down to the level of
BSkyB
by employing journalists who are unaware of this.

I suspect a Cyclox press release uses the term. online BBC stories are
little more than pasted in press releases. They have to fill the space
somehow.

Colin
Old June 16th 04, 01:05 PM
James Hodson

wrote:

They'll be mis-spelling "gaol" next...

"Penitentiary", innit?

James Jr
Old June 16th 04, 01:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

James Hodson wrote:

They'll be mis-spelling "gaol" next...

"Penitentiary", innit?

"Jug", shirley?
--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 16th 04, 01:31 PM
James Hodson

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:20:58 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

James Hodson wrote:

They'll be mis-spelling "gaol" next...

"Penitentiary", innit?

"Jug", shirley?

House of correction, missus.

James 111 (just thought about grandfather)
Old June 16th 04, 02:01 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
"Colin Blackburn" writes:

Cyclists win rush-hour challenge

No surprise there.

But a unicyclist and a wheelchair beating the other modes: that's
impressive. Good thing I finished my coffee before usenetting.

LOL!

--
Nick Kew
Old June 16th 04, 03:24 PM
Will H

pedant! Have you ever considered appearing on a Radio 4 quiz panel?

========
"Robert Bruce" wrote in
message ...
mae wedi ysgrifennu:

Old June 16th 04, 03:55 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:01:21 +0100, Nick Kew
wrote:

In article ,
"Colin Blackburn" writes:

Cyclists win rush-hour challenge

No surprise there.

But a unicyclist and a wheelchair beating the other modes: that's
impressive.

No real surprise for that route. Cars and buses have to take a longer
route around the very centre of town, in fact the cars have to take a very
long tortuous route (good!). Peds and wheelchairs can take a very direct
route. Cyclists can be fairly direct---they can't go the wrong way down a
bus only one-way street unlike the peds and wheelchairs. Addinto that the
general congestion on Cowley Road and near the railway station and it's no
contest really. My guess is that the walker went the wrong way or were a
slow walker.

Colin