Cycle lights with Torx fasteners?

Old October 28th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mickey Mouse

Default Cycle lights with Torx fasteners?

Just had my front Cateye Opticube nicked after leaving my bike locked in
a secure office carpark for a couple of hours. Just shows you can't
leave anything attached to your bike without some thieving git lining
their pockets. Anyway the whole attachment (not just the light) has
been half inched and this was aided by the thief-friendly design of the
Cateye attachment ( a large hand turnable plastic nut the size of a £1
coin neatly removes the entire thing within minutes). Anyone
manufacturer use slightly more esoteric fasteners like Torx ? Or am I
going to have to drill holes though the lights and start using wire
cable to secure everything? Yes I can just put the lights in my pockets
but occasionally they get forgotten and so I'm looking at a way of
securing lights to my bike rather than go for the pocketable variety.
Also the really small lights don't light up the road that well anyway.
Old October 28th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

Mickey Mouse wrote:

[...]

Most dynamo lights bolt on, instead of using a clip on bracket thing.
You could replace the bolts with Torx ones if you wanted (assuming you
can buy them in the appropriate size).
And I think dynamo lights are a lot less attractive to thieves in
general (because they probably won't have a dynamo to power it, and they
are probably less noticeable if mounted on the fork crown etc).

I've never worried about my dynamo lights when leaving my bike locked up
outside shops etc.

Note that for Cateye lights you can get a bracket that bolts on, instead
of the easily removed 'Flex Tight' bracket. It doesn't stop anyone from
stealing the light, but at least they can't remove the bracket without a
screwdriver etc.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old October 28th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mickey Mouse

* Craig Wallace wrote:
Most dynamo lights bolt on, instead of using a clip on bracket thing.
You could replace the bolts with Torx ones if you wanted (assuming you
can buy them in the appropriate size).
And I think dynamo lights are a lot less attractive to thieves in
general (because they probably won't have a dynamo to power it, and they
are probably less noticeable if mounted on the fork crown etc).

When I went in my local bike shop and asked for dynamo lights he told me
I don't want them "they're crap". I said well I just asked for them
didn't I, which means I *do* want them. Need to find a slightly more
helpful shop or alternatively use the internet. Any Dynamo brands better
than others? Don't really want to spend a fortune but I agree with you,
definitely less desirable to a thief. I'm OK for now but will switch to
dynamo soon.

I've never worried about my dynamo lights when leaving my bike locked up
outside shops etc.

Note that for Cateye lights you can get a bracket that bolts on, instead
of the easily removed 'Flex Tight' bracket. It doesn't stop anyone from
stealing the light, but at least they can't remove the bracket without a
screwdriver etc.

Didn't know you could get a different type of bracket; bit late now
though :'(

The plastic nut was rubbish anyway. It could never be tightened up
enough without going loose again so the light used to just spin around
the handlebars when I went up and down kerbs resulting in the thing
aiming straight at my face (upside down) blinding me or I would almost
get myself killed trying to tighten it up by hand again as it would
invariably come loose whilst riding. Maybe the thief did me a favour?

Got a simple removable Oxford Ultra Torch 9. Should do the trick for now
until I move onto some serious candle power for the winter months.
Old October 28th 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed[_3_]

"Mickey Mouse" wrote in message
* Craig Wallace wrote:
Most dynamo lights bolt on, instead of using a clip on bracket thing.
You could replace the bolts with Torx ones if you wanted (assuming you
can buy them in the appropriate size).
And I think dynamo lights are a lot less attractive to thieves in
general (because they probably won't have a dynamo to power it, and they
are probably less noticeable if mounted on the fork crown etc).

When I went in my local bike shop and asked for dynamo lights he told me
I don't want them "they're crap". I said well I just asked for them
didn't I, which means I *do* want them. Need to find a slightly more
helpful shop or alternatively use the internet. Any Dynamo brands better
than others? Don't really want to spend a fortune but I agree with you,
definitely less desirable to a thief. I'm OK for now but will switch to
dynamo soon.

There's a good selection of dynamos ranging from very basic entry level to
some pretty good B&M stuff at St John's Street Cycles. www.sjscycles.co.uk

I bought a basic JOS setup from Decathlon - they have similar at SJS but not
quite the same. It was dirt cheap - the whole setup coming to around £13,
and is as good if not better than any of the cheap battery powered sets you
can get. It's then easy to upgrade a front light here, and then get a
better generator, etc. if you decide you like the dynamo setup.

Colin

Old October 28th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
judith

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:09:42 +0000, Mickey Mouse
wrote:

snip

The plastic nut was rubbish anyway. It could never be tightened up
enough without going loose again so the light used to just spin around
the handlebars when I went up and down kerbs resulting in the thing
aiming straight at my face (upside down) blinding me or I would almost
get myself killed trying to tighten it up by hand again as it would
invariably come loose whilst riding. Maybe the thief did me a favour?

when you went "up and down kerbs" - care to explain?

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
Old October 28th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mickey Mouse

* judith wrote:
when you went "up and down kerbs" - care to explain?

The cycle path I use to get to work (which is not on the road) joins the
road further along and there is a small kerb of about an inch or two
where is then runs as a red painted cycle lane. In fact there are quite
a few like this where I live (where cycle paths separate from the road
later join a main road with a dropped kerb). Every time I used go up
and down these, despite the drop being only very small, the jolts used
to cause the front light to spin round, usually ending up with me being
blinded.
Old October 28th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

* judith wrote:
when you went "up and down kerbs" - care to explain?

The cycle path I use to get to work (which is not on the road) joins the
road further along and there is a small kerb of about an inch or two
where is then runs as a red painted cycle lane. In fact there are quite
a few like this where I live (where cycle paths separate from the road
later join a main road with a dropped kerb). Every time I used go up
and down these, despite the drop being only very small, the jolts used
to cause the front light to spin round, usually ending up with me being
blinded.

judith is just trying to cause trouble - best to ignore her.

Old October 28th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

Mickey Mouse wrote:
* Craig Wallace wrote:
Most dynamo lights bolt on, instead of using a clip on bracket thing.
You could replace the bolts with Torx ones if you wanted (assuming you
can buy them in the appropriate size).
And I think dynamo lights are a lot less attractive to thieves in
general (because they probably won't have a dynamo to power it, and they
are probably less noticeable if mounted on the fork crown etc).

When I went in my local bike shop and asked for dynamo lights he told me
I don't want them "they're crap". I said well I just asked for them
didn't I, which means I *do* want them. Need to find a slightly more
helpful shop or alternatively use the internet. Any Dynamo brands better
than others? Don't really want to spend a fortune but I agree with you,
definitely less desirable to a thief. I'm OK for now but will switch to
dynamo soon.

For lights Busch and Muller are good. Something like the IQ Fly is
brighter than most cheap Cateye lights etc.
For the dynamo, a hub dynamo is most reliable. Shimano have a range that
are reasonably priced and decent quality.
Dotbike ( http://www.dotbike.com/ ) are probably the cheapest UK source
for B&M lights. Or its often cheaper to order from Germany (depending on
exchange rate etc), eg http://www.bike24.com/ or http://www.roseversand.de/

Note that for Cateye lights you can get a bracket that bolts on, instead
of the easily removed 'Flex Tight' bracket. It doesn't stop anyone from
stealing the light, but at least they can't remove the bracket without a
screwdriver etc.

Didn't know you could get a different type of bracket; bit late now
though :'(

The bolt on brackets are a lot more solid, and less wobbly in my
experience. See for example:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ca...et/5300006463/

Got a simple removable Oxford Ultra Torch 9. Should do the trick for now
until I move onto some serious candle power for the winter months.

Isn't it winter now? It was snowing here today...

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old October 28th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:57:07 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Mickey Mouse" wrote in message
.. .
* judith wrote:
when you went "up and down kerbs" - care to explain?

The cycle path I use to get to work (which is not on the road) joins the
road further along and there is a small kerb of about an inch or two
where is then runs as a red painted cycle lane. In fact there are quite
a few like this where I live (where cycle paths separate from the road
later join a main road with a dropped kerb). Every time I used go up
and down these, despite the drop being only very small, the jolts used
to cause the front light to spin round, usually ending up with me being
blinded.

judith is just trying to cause trouble - best to ignore her.

Thank you Clive for you worthwhile contribution.

It was a reasonable question - to which the OP has given a reasonable
answer.

Have you still not got over *inviting* me in to the group?

You remember - I post a very reasonable post to which you are the
first to respond with:

Oh dear.
Mostly my view is you're extremely badly informed.

And the rest is history (or rat-**** depending on your view) ;-)

(I saw your post about "nym-shifting trolls" - do you actually know
Tony Raven?)
Old October 28th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mickey Mouse

* Craig Wallace wrote:
For lights Busch and Muller are good. Something like the IQ Fly is
brighter than most cheap Cateye lights etc.
For the dynamo, a hub dynamo is most reliable. Shimano have a range that
are reasonably priced and decent quality.
Dotbike ( http://www.dotbike.com/ ) are probably the cheapest UK source
for B&M lights. Or its often cheaper to order from Germany (depending on
exchange rate etc), eg http://www.bike24.com/ or http://www.roseversand.de/

Thanks. Will go visit those sites. Is it possible to buy quite bright
Dynamo lights then? I was always (perhaps mistakenly) under the
impression that they were inferior to their battery counterparts.

Got a simple removable Oxford Ultra Torch 9. Should do the trick for now
until I move onto some serious candle power for the winter months.

Isn't it winter now? It was snowing here today...

Well it's pretty bad now; we had some sleet here today. Ideally I'd
like to get some Dynamos ASAP (by mid-November latest) and use my Oxford
to bide me a bit of time. Need to do a bit of research and buy the
right ones. I've got some basic info in my Haynes Bike Maintenance but
it doesn't really go into that much depth. Are the hub ones much harder
to fit? Guess I can always get the shop to do it but would prefer to
have a tinker myself if it's not too difficult.

Cycle lights in Kingston Sara Kirk UK 5 September 18th 08 10:58 AM
Stainless steel fasteners nobody Techniques 9 January 22nd 05 06:02 AM
Lupine lights and cycle computers Sue White UK 4 December 8th 04 10:14 PM
Security and convenience of cycle lights D.M. Procida UK 20 November 10th 04 02:52 PM
torx Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 2 May 16th 04 05:48 PM